Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 07:40 PM

621 posts, read 240,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicFlute View Post
The quote is absolutely copied and pasted, word for word, from the NYC Mayor's Community Affairs Unit Newsletter sent out on Jan 28, 2022, from <communityaffairs@cityhall.nyc.gov> -- You can subscribe to these newsletters yourself and validate for yourself the truthfulness of the quote. So I'd say do a bit more thorough research before falsely accusing someone that they post false information. You can contact the NYC Mayor's community affairs unit yourself to verify validity. So here is part of the newsletter. You can find the initiative under the Key Updates. Scroll down towards the bottom.

"Dear New Yorker,

"This has been an incredibly difficult week for our city. The loss of Officers Jason Rivera and Wilbert Mora is heartbreaking for our city and every New Yorker. These officers were dedicated public servants - the epitome of what makes our city great. They lost their lives protecting the city that they loved, and we will forever be in their debt. The thoughts and prayers of not only CAU but the entire City are with the grieving families.

"In the words of Mayor Adams “Gun violence has inflicted a heartbreaking tragedy on our city. We must turn that pain into purpose. We're fighting back against gun violence and building communities where every resident feels safe.”

"Below, you’ll find updates on the impending major winter weather event which will begin tonight, information on the Mayor’s blueprint to solve gun violence, participatory budgeting, as well as information on COVID-19, and other citywide initiatives and information.

In partnership,
Fred Kreizman
Commissioner, Mayor's Community Affairs Unit

Key Updates:

Blueprint to End Gun Violence in New York City

New York City Mayor Eric Adams this week released a “Blueprint to End Gun Violence” in New York City, which lays out numerous policy proposals Mayor Adams is seeking to implement to curb the scourge of gun violence plaguing New York City streets. The roadmap lays out Mayor Adams’ priorities to immediately address the crisis of guns on New York City streets. Mayor's speech can be found here.

SNOWSTORM UPDATE:

According to the latest forecast, a nor'easter may bring significant snowfall and gusty winds to the area Friday night to Saturday night. The bulk of the snow is expected to fall from the early morning to mid-day Saturday. A Winter Storm Watch in effect from 7 p.m. Friday to 7 p.m. Saturday.

For real-time weather information, visit the National Weather Service

Snowstorm Resource:

NYC 311 Service request map- Allows you to view 311 complaints as they come in and the city’s response. This can show you if there’s a particular area that is seeing complaints including snow and loss of heat. https://portal.311.nyc.gov

Con Edison Outage Map- This is a real time look at any power outages throughout the 5 boroughs. This will be the most updated information as it is connected directly with the Smart Meters on houses and apartments. They will update the timetable of outages regularly. https://outagemap.coned.com

Plow NYC- This will show in real time what streets have been plowed and the location of the Sanitation Plows. This will only start to update when the Plows go out. https://plownyc.cityofnewyork.us/plownyc/

Work With DSNY

New York City is hiring temporary snow laborers to help clear sidewalks, plazas and streets across the five boroughs. Register here.

Speak Up About the Future of Our City

As New York City makes its way toward recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, the new Eric Adams mayoral administration invites you to help shape its priorities and policies. NYC Speaks is a city-wide engagement initiative designed to ensure that New Yorkers are heard. Fill out the NYC Speaks survey by February 11th to make your voice heard. Take the survey!

The People's Money

We are reaching out to ask you to support the participatory budgeting process currently under way in the 33 neighborhoods hardest hit by COVID-19! Anyone who is 11 years and older, lives, works and goes to school in one of the 33 TRIE neighborhoods may vote in this process! Voting is very easy—just go to this link: bit.ly/PeoplesMoney22 and click on your neighborhood, scroll down to see the project options in your neighborhood. Click on your choice(s) and hit submit!"

The Newsletter continues with lots of other useful information.

I stand by my statement that you falsely stated that this is a mayoral initiative. The Community Affairs Bureau has and always has been a public partnership between the City and citywide not-for-profits. which are not fifth columns of the government. Doing a little bit more digging means going to the org that actually creates and administers the NYC Speaks survey. The administrator, Goodnation Foundation, tells you on their website that NYC Speaks is not affiliated with any other organization except Goodnation. So it is patently false that this is associated with Adams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Aaaah, okay then! It is difficult to scroll all the way down to find this info (because, at least on my phone, the screen keeps rolling back to the first page). It certainly was presented as to suggest something connected with the Office of the Mayor, but it is in fact an "employee-owned consulting firm" :-). I certainly would not have paid any attention to this survey if I understood that upfront. So, this is NOT related to Adams, and not more relevant or impactful than expressing random opinions in this forum :-). For whatever reason, though, these people are presenting themselves as somehow connected with the Office of the Mayor.

Correct. The original poster likely did not scroll down either. I posted an explanation so I hope (s)he understands who the survey sponsor is.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:44 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
If you still have a residence in NYC, you should fill out the survey nevertheless. There is a small number of reasonable ideas (though those are less than 10% of everything mentioned in the survey), and you can leave some questions blank if none of the options seem good. That way, you will at least give more weight to those preciously few reasonable ideas included in the survey. For example, you have an option to "strongly disagree" with necessity for New Yorkers to "pay reparations". The few rare good ideas tossed into this I thought included greater law enforcement, attracting more non-whites into police force, having mental health services in schools, partnering with private sector for placement into jobs, creating pathways for renters into home ownership, issuing an ID number and card for access to welfare and mental health services... few that I can remember seeing. Two most important items, such as increasing public safety by incarceration of criminals and funding for psychiatric hospitals, are of course missing.

Well done.
I filled out the survey.
This is so far left leaning. It looks to further increasing help for people of color
showing bias towards non vaccinated persons and police officers while looking
for more tax dollars to spend. I did not click on any radio button looking to fund
more money to any cause but responded by pointing out how biased this survey
is.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:54 PM

47 posts, read 84,618 times
The wording from the Newsletter sent out by City Hall speaks for itself "Eric Adams mayoral administration invites you to help shape its priorities and policies" It is the "mayoral administration" which invites New Yorkers to take the survey, not the third party organization which administers it. So I argue that my posting is absolutely truthful as it quotes the official Newsletter sent out by City Hall.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:51 PM

8,331 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
I stand by my statement that you falsely stated that this is a mayoral initiative. The Community Affairs Bureau has and always has been a public partnership between the City and citywide not-for-profits. which are not fifth columns of the government. Doing a little bit more digging means going to the org that actually creates and administers the NYC Speaks survey. The administrator, Goodnation Foundation, tells you on their website that NYC Speaks is not affiliated with any other organization except Goodnation. So it is patently false that this is associated with Adams.

But if the initiative is not connected with the mayoral office, why is the "mayoral administration" inviting New Yorkers to take this survey? I get in e-mail offers of surveys about airlines, soap, coffee & tea, insurance carriers, vaccination, you name it, but I am not invited by the mayoral administration to take any of those.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
The wording from the Newsletter sent out by City Hall speaks for itself "Eric Adams mayoral administration invites you to help shape its priorities and policies" It is the "mayoral administration" which invites New Yorkers to take the survey, not the third party organization which administers it. So I argue that my posting is absolutely truthful as it quotes the official Newsletter sent out by City Hall.

Let's try this from another angle - if you think this is coming directly from the Mayor, can you source this directly from the Mayor's website? Can you source the speech where he has spoken about this initiative publicly? Is there an official letter from the Mayor? I guarantee you - Adams knows nothing about this and will never mention this publicly.

As soon as you start organizations like Robin Hood, you should know automatically that it is not coming from the Mayor or his office. Anything you read from the community affairs newsletter represents a civic function designed to bridge the public with government.

https://nycspeaks.org/blog/launch-release/

This is what the initiative is all about. You keep referencing a few words in a newsletter. Why do you not want to read the meat directly from the administrator?

NEW YORK CITY CIVIC LEADERS LAUNCH ‘NYC SPEAKS,’ A PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT INITIATIVE TO BRING VOICES OF ALL NEW YORKERS TO THE NEW MAYOR AND HIS ADMINISTRATION
Seven-month effort will gather extensive input from all New Yorkers about challenges, priorities and solutions to inform Mayor Eric Adams as he develops his agenda
Citywide initiative will encourage direct engagement between New Yorkers and the new administration when Mayor Adams takes office in January 2022

Old 01-29-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
But if the initiative is not connected with the mayoral office, why is the "mayoral administration" inviting New Yorkers to take this survey? I get in e-mail offers of surveys about airlines, soap, coffee & tea, insurance carriers, vaccination, you name it, but I am not invited by the mayoral administration to take any of those.

It's simply data collection that not-for-profits routinely perform to engage with the mayor to support their causes. Notice the organizations involved and their mission statements. I haven't seen the actual survey, but there probably aren't questions on the survey that are unrelated to the participating organizations. Notice the NYC Speaks website / blog says the purpose is to INFORM THE MAYOR. The mayoral administration is the Mayor's Community Affairs unit...not the same as Adams's office.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:53 PM

I understand your argument. However, official newsletters sent from official City Hall emails hold weight. The official Mayor's Community Affairs newsletter clearly states that the "mayoral administration" invites New Yorkers to take the survey. Official emails contain carefully crafted words, because they hold weight.

There are many reason why organizations do not distribute surveys themselves and choose to have a third party administer them. However, I argue that the probability of the "mayoral administration" not knowing about or not endorsing this survey -- when it is included in a City Hall email sent out to NYC constituents -- is close to zero.

Just think for a second: Why would the "mayoral administration" advertise and "invite" New Yorkers to fill out a survey they do not endorse or strongly oppose? The Newsletter sent out by City Hall endorses everything that is that Newsletter, including all the initiatives. If this were not so, that commissioner guy would be fired on the spot for sending out surveys the administration does not endorse. So again, I understand what you are arguing, but in this case, evidence from the Newsletter speaks for itself. And I stand by the truthfulness and validity of my post, as it quotes directly, word for word, from an official email sent through a City Hall email address. It is the "mayoral administration" who invites New Yorkers to take the survey, not a third party organization.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I understand your argument. However, official newsletters sent from official City Hall emails hold weight. The official Mayor's Community Affairs newsletter clearly states that the "mayoral administration" invites New Yorkers to take the survey. Official emails contain carefully crafted words, because they hold weight.
It's official b/c as you mentioned, the newsletter comes from a city agency. You're original post clearly states that this is an Adams initiative. So which is it?

There are many reason why organizations do not distribute surveys themselves and choose to have a third party administer them. However, I argue that the probability of the "mayoral administration" not knowing about or not endorsing this survey -- when it is included in a City Hall email sent out to NYC constituents -- is close to zero.
I agree with you here because the Community Affairs office is part of the mayoral city administration. It doesn't mean the Mayor is behind it. If the Dept of Parks, invites visitors to fill out a survey, does that mean the survey is the Mayor's initiative b/c the Parks Department is part of the mayoral administration? No it does not.

Just think for a second: Why would the "mayoral administration" advertise and "invite" New Yorkers to fill out a survey they do not endorse or strongly oppose? I didn't say the mayoral administration doesn't endorse the survey...heck, they're helping with advertising. But it doesn't mean that the Mayor himself is behind it. As I asked you earlier, he never make a public statement nor signed an official letter. So you cannot say or prove that he himself is pushing this survey.

The Newsletter sent out by City Hall endorses everything that is that Newsletter, including all the initiatives. If this were not so, that commissioner guy would be fired on the spot for sending out surveys the administration does not endorse. So again, I understand what you are arguing, but in this case, evidence from the Newsletter speaks for itself. And I stand by the truthfulness and validity of my post, as it quotes directly, word for word, from an official email sent through a City Hall email address. It is the "mayoral administration" who invites New Yorkers to take the survey, not a third party organization.
Again, you are correct here...it is a survey endorsed by the mayoral administration. It doesn't mean that the mayor himself is pushing the survey. And I do notice that you're no longer mentioning Adams's name in your response. So it seems we're finally in agreement. I just want to be sure that we're all spreading accurate information here. Feel free to get the final word in if you wish...I have nothing left to add to the conversation.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:43 PM

I would like to again direct you to the Newsletter sent by the City Hall stating that "the new Eric Adams mayoral administration" is the one who invites NY-ers to take the survey. The "new Eric Adams mayoral administration" briefs the Mayor on city-wide initiatives. If there is a disconnect between the mayoral administration and the Office of the Mayor, as you argue, there is no evidence for that. On the contrary, the City Hall email is incredibly transparent, clear, and direct in telling the constituents that "the new Eric Adams mayoral administration" invites them to take the survey. My post was a direct citation from the Newsletter, not my own interpretation.

I encourage you to read my posts carefully and see that the quotation marks have been correctly placed around words cited directly from those who authored them. I also ask that you do not attribute to me things I did not say. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City