Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 01:18 PM

2,924 posts, read 2,595,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Who was doing any kind of surveys in 1664? In fact, I don't remember that any mayor did a survey ever, asking New Yorkers what they wanted about anything. I don't recall any surveys in 2021 (or ever, for that matter) geared specifically to white New Yorkers - I think that would have been viewed as highly inappropriate. I think it would be normal if a special-interest organization, like maybe NAACP, did this kind of survey - less appropriate for mayor who presumably represents the collective best interests of the entire city.
A survey doesn't have to originate from the Mayor's office. It could come from the city council, the city's leading businessmen, one of the newspaper organizations, or other sector. The point is that past surveys about the governance of NYC were geared to its White citizenry even if the survey(s) was not formally printed on paper/computer screen but was collected via community dialogue regarding the governance of NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 01:48 PM

8,423 posts, read 4,451,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
A survey doesn't have to originate from the Mayor's office. It could come from the city council, the city's leading businessmen, one of the newspaper organizations, or other sector. The point is that past surveys about the governance of NYC were geared to its White citizenry even if the survey(s) was not formally printed on paper/computer screen but was collected via community dialogue regarding the governance of NYC.

A dialogue is not the same as survey. Since the beginning of taking social surveys in the US, they have always been geared to all races (furthermore, they have typically contained the demographic question about race). Even if you want to equate a survey with a community dialogue regarding the governance of NYC (which is not the same but okay), it is beyond idiotic to say that all dialogue regarding governance of NYC in the 8 years prior to 2022 has been geared to its white citizenry . It has been in fact decades since anyone has seen any dialogue about NYC governance geared specifically towards white citizenry (which is fine, governance of NYC should not be geared to any single race, certainly not to the white race, but certainly not to any other particular race either).

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-30-2022 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-30-2022, 01:58 PM

8,423 posts, read 4,451,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
It's simply data collection that not-for-profits routinely perform to engage with the mayor to support their causes. Notice the organizations involved and their mission statements. I haven't seen the actual survey, but there probably aren't questions on the survey that are unrelated to the participating organizations. Notice tNYC Speaks website / blog says the purpose is to INFORM THE MAYOR. The mayoral administration is the Mayor's Community Affairs unit...not the same as Adams's office.

The OP addressed this with you in more detail. Somehow in trying to correct typos I managed to delete my previous post... anyhow, I said the following: yes, non-profits routinely perform data collection via survey to support their causes with the mayor, but the majoral administration does not invite the citizens to take such surveys. The invitation by the mayoral administration to take this survey therefore means that the mayoral administration has the same causes as the non-profit which created the survey. The survey indicates that the "cause" here is to serve exclusively the interests of two specific racial groups, while ignoring the fact that two additional races even exist in NYC .

Old 01-30-2022, 10:37 PM

107 posts, read 85,898 times
Points such as yours understood... There is a lot to be read between the lines (not to mention the content of the lines), as well as occasions in which one must have enough insight to anticipate the ultimate outcomes and conclusions when looking at some of the topics and the multiple choice options being offered.
Plus, I am not very confident that what people say on these surveys will be taken into consideration when it's all said and done. There are a number of points at which I can anticipate the ball potentially being dropped, whether deliberately, passively, or altogether unintentionally.
Nevertheless, there are a lot of places where you can freely write your own thoughts and tell precisely where you are coming from on the issues, and where you have the opportunity to make or emphasize your perspective if you feel it is not represented in the language, choices, or agenda of those who designed the survey. So perhaps there is no harm in completing the survey, whatever may or may not finally come of it, and perhaps if enough people fill it out, including those who are not aligned with the prevailing ideology, maybe it will make a difference and do some good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Disgustingly racist. Looks like it came straight from a woke professor at a private liberal arts college

Old 01-30-2022, 11:06 PM

107 posts, read 85,898 times
I'm with you, elnrgby. However, I received the original email through a typically reliable and well-informed organization, and it was presented (or disguised) as being an initiative of the Mayor's office or as representing the Mayor, so I cannot find fault with the OP. Thank you, Brownpine for the clarification. Like elnrgby, I did not see the content from the Web site which you quoted in your post. Well anyway, we'll see whether and what comes of it, or does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Aaaah, okay then! It is difficult to scroll all the way down to find this info (because, at least on my phone, the screen keeps rolling back to the first page). It certainly was presented as to suggest something connected with the Office of the Mayor, but it is in fact an "employee-owned consulting firm" :-). I certainly would not have paid any attention to this survey if I understood that upfront. So, this is NOT related to Adams, and not more relevant or impactful than expressing random opinions in this forum :-). For whatever reason, though, these people are presenting themselves as somehow connected with the Office of the Mayor.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:27 AM

25,424 posts, read 37,208,967 times
Quote:
makes its way toward recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic,
Hmmm, seems I have heard that several times before.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:03 PM

870 posts, read 420,625 times
I went through all of it and had a lot of fun filling the answers to open questions.

This whole survey was redacted by a self-hating White beta male feminist soy boy for "equity and inclusion". A disgrace.

Old 02-02-2022, 05:12 AM

16,187 posts, read 6,941,319 times
Taking a lesson from history.

In simple laymen terms.

The Great Roman Empire was brought to it's knees by outsiders
but it was the insiders that first started kicking it in the groin.

New York City is only proof of history repeating..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City