Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2022, 06:02 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,774,977 times

Advertisements

This is great. People need to be educated about nutrition and how it plays a crucial part in one's overall health.

https://gothamist.com/food/mayor-ada...content=202227

On the heels of “vegan Fridays,” New York City Mayor Eric Adams says his administration will be expanding a chronic disease management program that focuses on diet, exercise and other lifestyle factors rather than medication.

The Plant-Based Lifestyle Medicine Program, piloted at Bellevue starting in 2019, will open up clinics in five new Health and Hospitals locations across the city this year, officials announced during a press conference, prior to a mayoral vegan chili cooking demonstration on Monday.

In addition to the original Bellevue location, patients will be able to enroll at Health and Hospitals Jacobi and Lincoln in the Bronx, the Brooklyn sites of Woodhull and Kings County, Elmhurst in Queens and Gotham Health Vanderbilt in Staten Island.

More than 850 New York City residents have referred themselves for the Bellevue pilot program, according to the mayor’s office. The pilot had a $400,000 price tag, and Adams said the Office of Management and Budget is “still figuring out” the cost of the expanded plan.

The program is open to adult Health and Hospitals patients living with type II diabetes, pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and health problems linked to obesity, city officials said. Patients meet with a doctor, a dietitian and a health coach, who guide them toward a plant-based diet and a regular exercise regime, as well as help them stop smoking. Participants can also take group classes on sleep habits, stress management, grocery shopping, meal planning and cooking.

Studies suggest that a diet low in animal foods and rich in fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, nuts and seeds can slash the risk of diabetes and other chronic diseases. In 2017, about 12% of New Yorkers reported they were diabetic, according to city data. Black and brown New Yorkers are more likely than their white peers to be diabetic, and diabetes rates are highest in low-income neighborhoods. Black New Yorkers are also more likely than any other group to die prematurely of heart disease...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 06:08 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,982,442 times
lol...he was elected to perform such fun life style duties while ignoring all the violent crimes that are unfolding in NYC streets....what a joke

Old 02-07-2022, 06:12 PM

6,696 posts, read 2,986,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Black and brown New Yorkers are more likely than their white peers to be diabetic, and diabetes rates are highest in low-income neighborhoods. Black New Yorkers are also more likely than any other group to die prematurely of heart disease...
Racist Heart disease! Needs to be cancelled.

Anyway,..I get that low -income tends to just eat the cheap unhealthy stuff out of necessity, but aren't these schmancy new plantbased swanson foods kinda pricey? How's that gonna be sustainable?

Old 02-07-2022, 06:19 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,774,977 times
From the article:

Asked what he would do to make healthy food more accessible to low-income New Yorkers, Adams replied that healthy food being expensive is “a myth” and listed some recipes that could be made with a $2 bag of lentils. He then added that SNAP recipients can use city-provided coupons called “Health Bucks” to purchase produce at greenmarkets around the city.

“I want people to say, ‘What could I eat in my bodega right now?’” Adams said. “These black-eyed peas are right in your local bodega. The carrots in your local bodega. The bananas, the apples in your local bodega. The berries in your local bodega.”

But Adams acknowledged that the food produce he described isn’t available to all New Yorkers.

Old 02-07-2022, 06:21 PM

5,692 posts, read 2,620,990 times
“I want people to say, ‘What could I eat in my bodega right now?’” Adams said. “These black-eyed peas are right in your local bodega. The carrots in your local bodega. The bananas, the apples in your local bodega. The berries in your local bodega.”

I don't know about his local bodega's but mine don't sell fresh fruit and veggies and the few local places that do sell them you wouldn't want to buy from them. Thos apples have probably been there 6 months. I will stick to taking the train to trader joes. Fresh food sells out so fast it doesn't even have time to sit around.

Old 02-07-2022, 06:23 PM

6,696 posts, read 2,986,541 times
I'm kinda mad they chased the mango cantaloupe vendors away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: