Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 04:10 AM

16,187 posts, read 6,941,319 times

Advertisements

Time to re-examine coal mining ,fracking and nuclear power else pay
thru your nose just trying to keep warm or cool. Ain't seen nothing yet.

It is only going to get worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 11:47 AM

8,943 posts, read 4,805,245 times
I posted this on another thread. Meant to post it here:

Surging Con Ed Bills Leave New Yorkers With Electric Burns

https://www.thecity.nyc/2022/2/9/229...electric-burns

Households in New York City are seeing big spikes in what they’re being charged this month, even though many aren’t using significantly more juice. We explain why, and what you can do.

Old 02-10-2022, 12:00 PM

266 posts, read 154,481 times
Does coned electric have any discounts for low income customers

I know for national grid gas, there is a discount

Old 02-10-2022, 11:07 PM

32,024 posts, read 27,221,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Time to re-examine coal mining ,fracking and nuclear power else pay
thru your nose just trying to keep warm or cool. Ain't seen nothing yet.

It is only going to get worse.
Fracking is fine, problem is USA now produces so much natural gas it is a leading exporter. Why is that? Because woke liberal progressive democrats along with tree huggers don't want any new natural gas pipelines, nor anyone burning the stuff for anything. Think BdeB and previous city council banning new natural gas connections.

What US doesn't use or want other countries are happy to have, so oil companies are exporting record amounts of LNG to satiate worldwide demand.

Old 02-11-2022, 01:33 AM

37,307 posts, read 39,665,364 times
The people getting hit hardest are probably those using electric resistance heaters since that's essentially a half to two-thirds loss of equivalent heating capacity (so 2x to 3x price on just that raw natural gas for electricity versus straight delivery without including anything else which means that our heavily natural gas dependent electricity generation has its price fluctuations somewhere between doubled and tripled). If that's the case, then you really need to move to an electric heat pump. Given this past January's temperature band, the COP of a heat pump would have probably averaged around 4 which would mean a quarter of the energy consumption for equivalent heating compared to those electric resistance heaters. This also means that you can size for a unit that has way higher total output capacity than what your resistance heaters can currently put out in case it was also an issue of it not getting warm enough.

Previous governor wasn't exactly stellar and wasn't quite an engineer or an economist. If he wanted to prioritize shutting down Indian Point, then he really should have gotten his **** together earlier and run HVDC lines from more places with cheap excess power before shutting them down. There were discussions, plans, analyses, and pretty much no action taken and then seemingly on a whim with the right person whispering into his ear probably, there was a deadline for shutting down Indian Point and without concomitant prerequisite for having a replacement in place. I've said that I don't think MTA leadership should include any native New Yorkers. Maybe that should be the case for any leadership of any state or municipal branch or office.

Old 02-11-2022, 05:33 AM

19,099 posts, read 14,072,848 times
Yet another, “everyone knew this exact thing was going to happen but no one cared.” Thank god we moved, my Tesla can have all the juice she wants here.

These idiots are legislating you all into forced usage of electric appliances and vehicles, while simultaneously and intentionally driving up the cost of power. If you don’t think this is being done purposefully, I have a bridge to sell you. Two in fact.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-11-2022, 06:08 AM

18,507 posts, read 31,734,189 times
also, anyone that uses an electric space heater, that will consume more electricity.
Any type of appliance that has heat with electric will drive the price right up.

Just be me using my little space heater in my kitchen a few weeks drove my electric bill up an additional 30 bucks. So, the following month, I stopped using it, and it went back down.

But, the rates are still astronomical, none the less.

everything here in NYC is criminal, simply criminal, and our leaders of our nation both have their heads up thieir azzes and are doing absolutely nothing for the American people.

Old 02-11-2022, 06:14 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,278,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The people getting hit hardest are probably those using electric resistance heaters since that's essentially a half to two-thirds loss of equivalent heating capacity (so 2x to 3x price on just that raw natural gas for electricity versus straight delivery without including anything else which means that our heavily natural gas dependent electricity generation has its price fluctuations somewhere between doubled and tripled). If that's the case, then you really need to move to an electric heat pump. Given this past January's temperature band, the COP of a heat pump would have probably averaged around 4 which would mean a quarter of the energy consumption for equivalent heating compared to those electric resistance heaters. This also means that you can size for a unit that has way higher total output capacity than what your resistance heaters can currently put out in case it was also an issue of it not getting warm enough.

Previous governor wasn't exactly stellar and wasn't quite an engineer or an economist. If he wanted to prioritize shutting down Indian Point, then he really should have gotten his **** together earlier and run HVDC lines from more places with cheap excess power before shutting them down. There were discussions, plans, analyses, and pretty much no action taken and then seemingly on a whim with the right person whispering into his ear probably, there was a deadline for shutting down Indian Point and without concomitant prerequisite for having a replacement in place. I've said that I don't think MTA leadership should include any native New Yorkers. Maybe that should be the case for any leadership of any state or municipal branch or office.
Take the L.

Just a few weeks ago you called me "stupid" for claiming people would pay out of their ass running electric for heat in NYC. Of course, now it's not the RIGHT type of electric heating system. Total clown show.

Drop your inane heat pump argument. Heat pumps were never meant for -10 temperatures. They're great for FL or TX but not NYC winters unless you want to keep indoor temps at 50.

Do you think Germany, the greatest industrial power in Europe relies on Nat Gas to the tune if munching on Putin's dong because they're stupid? Per unit of energy, Nat gas is the most efficient ...by far.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:13 AM

8,943 posts, read 4,805,245 times
Surging electricity prices fueling alarming inflation spike across the greater New York area: feds

https://www.amny.com/news/surging-el...inflation-nyc/

Electricity prices in and around New York City are up 28.2%, and that’s leaving customers feeling a painful jolt of inflation on almost every level.

The Consumer Price Index (CPI) – a measure of how the prices of goods and services change over a period of time – indicated an overall increase of 1.1% in January. This also reflected the 28.2% hike in electricity prices, the highest over-the-month increase in CPI history.

Food prices increased overall by 1% – with food prices at home rising 1.2% and food prices away from home at restaurants and other dining establishments rising 0.6%. Housing prices also increased, with an overall increase of 1.5%.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:19 AM

2,474 posts, read 1,243,862 times
Embrace the suck!

Nothing else to say, has ABG stated entirely predicable and totally unnecessary.

These idiots can't see 5 minutes into the future, or can they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City