Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2022, 04:13 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Advertisements

His name wasn't well-known to the general public, but he was a very, very prominent person in the field. What I remember is a great article he wrote about Chinese food that a Chinatown restaurant had taped up in their window.

Jason Epstein, Editor and Publishing Innovator, Is Dead at 93
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/04/b...tein-dead.html

Publishing innovator Jason Epstein has died at 93
https://www.npr.org/2022/02/04/10783...k-review-books

Jason Epstein, publishing executive who shaped literary tastes, dies at 93
Jason Epstein, an editor and publisher who shaped literary tastes for decades by launching the “paperback revolution” in the 1950s, editing acclaimed authors at Random House and helping to found the New York Review of Books and later the Library of America series, died Feb. 4 at his home in Sag Harbor, N.Y. He was 93.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/obitu...-epstein-dies/

Erroll McDonald Remembers Jason Epstein
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...n-epstein.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 03:56 AM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Putting written words into the hands of young minds for decades deserves so much credit rather than those pushing guns,drugs and money.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:24 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,030,467 times
Sounded like a decent guy. Too bad most people will associate his last name w/the other Epstein who died in prison mysteriously.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:24 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Sounded like a decent guy. Too bad most people will associate his last name w/the other Epstein who died in prison mysteriously.
I hope not, since it's a fairly common name, and we already have Brian (Beatles manager), Jacob (sculptor) and the brothers who wrote Casablanca.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:44 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,217,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I hope not, since it's a fairly common name, and we already have Brian (Beatles manager), Jacob (sculptor) and the brothers who wrote Casablanca.
Maybe after our lifetime it will no longer be associated with that infamous man, but unfortunately most people associate that last name with the wrong one, and probably will for a while.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:12 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
What an absolutely perfect obituary! He had my exact objective (to only make enough money so he could spend the rest of his life reading books!... though I value traveling too, but not many other things tbh :-), and he realized it flawlessly (dying at 93 surrounded by his books). He was both a product of, and a major contributor to, the time when NYC was the world center of information - namely, of publishing and journalism, and I think that, more than anything else, made it unique and gave it the status of the prime world city. I was fortunate to catch the tail end of that era in NYC in the 1980s/90s. With the switch to transmission of information to electronic media, that had changed, and now you can access more information from any kind of boondocks than you could even in NYC of that time. It seems he was enthusiastic about new electronic libraries, but to me they will never replace words on paper. If I die at 93 surrounded by my books (which would be in 2053), the young crew from the city morgue will probably look in perplexity at all my books, and wonder "hey, what ARE all these things on all these shelves??).

Old 02-28-2022, 07:26 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
What an absolutely perfect obituary! He had my exact objective (to only make enough money so he could spend the rest of his life reading books!... though I value traveling too, but not many other things tbh :-), and he realized it flawlessly (dying at 93 surrounded by his books). He was both a product of, and a major contributor to, the time when NYC was the world center of information - namely, of publishing and journalism, and I think that, more than anything else, made it unique and gave it the status of the prime world city. I was fortunate to catch the tail end of that era in NYC in the 1980s/90s. With the switch to transmission of information to electronic media, that had changed, and now you can access more information from any kind of boondocks than you could even in NYC of that time. It seems he was enthusiastic about new electronic libraries, but to me they will never replace words on paper. If I die at 93 surrounded by my books (which would be in 2053), the young crew from the city morgue will probably look in perplexity at all my books, and wonder "hey, what ARE all these things on all these shelves??).
True. Words on paper have a more calming effect. Nothing like curling up with a good book before bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City