Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 08:47 AM

1,061 posts, read 549,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
She is 67. He pummeled her 125 times plus some kicks to the head. That is a lot trauma to the brain. Even pro boxers aren't subject to that kind punishment. Sadly, she will not survive.
My point was that reports like "the victim is critical but stable" minimize the damage.
Also, they should show the entire attack.
He spit on her at the end also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 04:31 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,040,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Just want to mention that there is a small street memorial around a tree on the sidewalk on Chrystie St close to Canal St (in the area where the cheap intercity buses have their offices and passenger pickup/dropoff), for the young woman who was the original subject of this thread (the young professional who was followed into her apartment and stabbed to death in her bathroom). There is a note that the memorial has been REPEATEDLY DESTROYED and will be eventually replaced by a permanent memorial garden.

Even if you accept that the killer murdered her because he was "sick", repeat destruction of the memorial clearly can only be an act of racist hatred - ie, the original crime may or may not have had a component of racial hatred, but the repeat destruction if the memorial proves the degree of anti-Asian racial hatred among a certain other racial group.
I really do not understand the racial hatred against Asians. I cannot point out any negative stereotype (not that I’d go by them anyway as I believe in individualism) but if I thought in terms of race or culture, I cannot see anything negative Asian Americans do as a whole.

I live next to a young professional Asian woman - similar to the one who was murdered in her apartment and it is 100% peaceful. I can tell she’s hardworking as she leaves early to work and returns around 9pm every night. I absolutely do not understand these attacks.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:35 PM

5,831 posts, read 2,955,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I really do not understand the racial hatred against Asians. I cannot point out any negative stereotype (not that I’d go by them anyway as I believe in individualism) but if I thought in terms of race or culture, I cannot see anything negative Asian Americans do as a whole.

I live next to a young professional Asian woman - similar to the one who was murdered in her apartment and it is 100% peaceful. I can tell she’s hardworking as she leaves early to work and returns around 9pm every night. I absolutely do not understand these attacks.
Is the term China virus new to you ?

Old 03-15-2022, 11:04 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,880 times
Quote:

I am East Asian. I can tell you that there is a notable segment of the NYC population which is jealous of our perceived success and ability to "act white" by doing well in school and getting jobs. Well, I am here to tell you that "acting white" is a black/white social construct that is completely alien to East Asians.

Instead, our cultural values about education are based on Confucianism which is older than Christianity. China invented standardized testing over 2400 years ago for civil service exams to hire bureaucrats. That tradition spread to Japan, Korea, Vietnam, etc. This ethic continues to persevere to this day.

The tradeoff is that you rarely see any East Asians in media, film, advertising, music, or sports. Meanwhile Blacks and Hispanics benefit from overrepresentation in sports and music. This is partly due to external pressures like typecasting and resume rejection. It is also partly due to internal pressures like parents saying to their kids, "Why bother? You'll just end up typcasted as a kung fu martial artist or asexual nerd anyway."

There were some notable exceptions like this guy who had an incredible career during the silent film era and beyond but he was shunted by racism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sessue_Hayakawa (famously played the evil Japanese colonel in The Bridge on the River Kwai).

Old 03-16-2022, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
No. I’ve also heard of the Spanish flu.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:48 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,232,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Black on Asian attacks are hardly a recent phenomenon. It has been going on way way before Covid. It was just not as highly publicized. Just pick any year before Covid (before 2019) and google and you will see plenty of black perp/Asian victim cases.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
I am East Asian. I can tell you that there is a notable segment of the NYC population which is jealous of our perceived success and ability to "act white" by doing well in school and getting jobs. Well, I am here to tell you that "acting white" is a black/white social construct that is completely alien to East Asians.

Instead, our cultural values about education are based on Confucianism which is older than Christianity. China invented standardized testing over 2400 years ago for civil service exams to hire bureaucrats. That tradition spread to Japan, Korea, Vietnam, etc. This ethic continues to persevere to this day.

The tradeoff is that you rarely see any East Asians in media, film, advertising, music, or sports. Meanwhile Blacks and Hispanics benefit from overrepresentation in sports and music. This is partly due to external pressures like typecasting and resume rejection. It is also partly due to internal pressures like parents saying to their kids, "Why bother? You'll just end up typcasted as a kung fu martial artist or asexual nerd anyway."

There were some notable exceptions like this guy who had an incredible career during the silent film era and beyond but he was shunted by racism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sessue_Hayakawa (famously played the evil Japanese colonel in The Bridge on the River Kwai).
This is interesting and admirable history.

I think that as inflation and poverty increase, the more resentment there will be towards groups of people who appear to be successful. (I say appear because not everyone from an ethnic group represents the group).

Old 03-17-2022, 10:15 AM

145 posts, read 79,842 times
https://nypost.com/2022/03/16/accuse...t-court-judge/

Old 03-18-2022, 10:14 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,403,381 times
Quote:

That's the thing, all stereotypes about Asian Americans are exclusively positive. Envious losers cannot stand that, which is the source of their racial hatred.

Old 03-19-2022, 07:20 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
Why are you guys trying to make this a race thing? Did the guy say that he wanted to rape and kill an Asian woman that day? The guy found a victim and she had happened to be Asian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City