Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 11:36 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,151,141 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile more NYC restaurants are closing. The intrusive and potentially confrontational vaccine mandate was the last straw for many restaurants and cafes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 12:21 PM

621 posts, read 240,723 times
The majority of New Yorkers are vaccinated so that vax issue is not the central issue. NYC restaurants are closing because they're too expensive. Between the high cost of food, labor, and mandatory tipping, how can working class people patronize restaurants each night?

Old 02-24-2022, 01:24 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
The majority of New Yorkers are vaccinated so that vax issue is not the central issue. NYC restaurants are closing because they're too expensive. Between the high cost of food, labor, and mandatory tipping, how can working class people patronize restaurants each night?
They're closing for lots of reasons but the primary reason was effectively being shut down for indoor dining for almost a year. The mandates definitely don't help but also weren't nearly as detrimental as that. Of course between inflation and being shut down for almost a year, less people eating out when they're scared of covid even when they were allowed to reopen etc prices were going to go up.

Old 02-24-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:

NYC under deBlasio mandated a $15/hour minimum wage on all businesses, designed to force as many small businesses as possible to close, particularly restaurants. Paying a high school dropout $31,200/year to hand out cheese danish is not a viable business model and deBlasio and the City Council knew that.

Old 02-24-2022, 02:33 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
NYC under deBlasio mandated a $15/hour minimum wage on all businesses, designed to force as many small businesses as possible to close, particularly restaurants. Paying a high school dropout $31,200/year to hand out cheese danish is not a viable business model and deBlasio and the City Council knew that.
The complaint was that these people couldn't live off of these jobs, but they were NEVER supposed to be career jobs! These were jobs done in some cases by people that were retired, high schoolers, college folks or people looking to make some extra money. These are what they are and always have been... Service jobs... Now that they've raised the minimum wage, businesses have had no choice but to cut back on hours, cut back on workers, raise prices, or all of the above, so that only higher income people can afford to dine. Just about every specialty coffee place that I frequent has raised their prices, along with the places I dine out at or get delivery from. Went to Blue Bottle today for a pastry and cortado. Everything cost me almost $10.00 just for the coffee and the pastry, not including any tip. Coffee is now almost $6.00 at a lot of decent places.

Old 02-24-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The complaint was that these people couldn't live off of these jobs, but they were NEVER supposed to be career jobs! These were jobs done in some cases by people that were retired, high schoolers, college folks or people looking to make some extra money. These are what they are and always have been... Service jobs... Now that they've raised the minimum wage, businesses have had no choice but to cut back on hours, cut back on workers, raise prices, or all of the above, so that only higher income people can afford to dine. Just about every specialty coffee place that I frequent has raised their prices, along with the places I dine out at or get delivery from. Went to Blue Bottle today for a pastry and cortado. Everything cost me almost $10.00 just for the coffee and the pastry, not including any tip. Coffee is now almost $6.00 at a lot of decent places.

All designed to eventually slowly choke out the restaurants in NYC. It shows how stupid the woke left is in NYC. Turning dining into an expensive item freezes out the same working class people they claim to want to help. Fewer restaurants also means fewer jobs.

Old 02-24-2022, 03:16 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times
Quote:
The mandate is definitely not the central issue, I agree. But the mandates aren't just keeping unvaccinated people out. Most of the people I know will not go places that are checking. I'm vaccinated and I'm not going anywhere that requires proof.

Old 02-24-2022, 03:30 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
The mandate is definitely not the central issue, I agree. But the mandates aren't just keeping unvaccinated people out. Most of the people I know will not go places that are checking. I'm vaccinated and I'm not going anywhere that requires proof.
My family LOVES eating out. We were good for 3-4 times a week, no lie. We completely stopped eating out in NYC the second all the nonsense started. It was actually part of our decision to move.

I have only visited places that I can confirm will not be checking papers, and even then rarely because dealing with NYC’s tyranny is not worth the hassle.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-24-2022, 05:13 PM

621 posts, read 240,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
They're closing for lots of reasons but the primary reason was effectively being shut down for indoor dining for almost a year. The mandates definitely don't help but also weren't nearly as detrimental as that. Of course between inflation and being shut down for almost a year, less people eating out when they're scared of covid even when they were allowed to reopen etc prices were going to go up.
I can agree with you on that. I guess what I'm saying is that now that we have the majority of the city vaccinated, restaurants are still struggling b/c their prices are too damn high. Fast food and uber eats is booming because that's what the majority of folks can afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post

So showing your vax card is what keeps you and most of the people you know away from restaurants? Interesting!

Old 02-25-2022, 09:22 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,215,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I have only visited places that I can confirm will not be checking papers, and even then rarely because dealing with NYC’s tyranny is not worth the hassle.
Going to large events (such as a Knicks/Rangers game at MSG) is even worse and the line to check people's papers goes around the corner and adds an additional 20 minutes or so just to get to the corridor where one has to walk to get their ticket scanned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City