Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2022, 08:33 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times

Advertisements

Wow. I feel for the tenants but... that's how it goes. Nothing in this life is guaranteed.
A similar thing happened to my mom's tenants when she sold her property. My mom deliberately rented below market if they were good tenants (paid on time, respected their unit, didn't cause any trouble) but at the closing the new owner made it clear that she was going to raise everybody's rent to market. The new owner can do whatever she/he wants.

No Legal Avenues

Sánchez noted that the city is preempted by state law from intervening in matters of rent regulation, so Glacier isn’t required to do anything for the tenants.

“We can’t mandate a lease renewal, we can’t mandate any specific terms,” she said. “So we’re hamstrung, and so it becomes this effort around mitigation and changing hearts and minds where we can.”

The state Attorney General’s Office similarly has no power to intervene in matters of deregulated apartments and, because the buildings were converted in the 1980s, the tenants are not protected through statewide tenant protection reforms approved in 2019.

https://www.thecity.nyc/2022/2/23/22...buy-or-get-out

Hundreds of tenants at eight Bronx and Manhattan co-op buildings are at-risk of eviction after a private equity firm announced last year that it would not renew their leases and instead sell the rental units.

The tenants, many of whom are low-income families or retirees, were given the option to buy their apartments, now owned by Glacier Equities, or leave.

In November 2020, Glacier purchased a collection of 255-residential unit “unsold shares” in co-operative buildings in Norwood, Fordham, Bedford Park and Spuyten Duyvil in The Bronx and Inwood in Manhattan for $23 million.

Nearly all of those unsold shares were deregulated rental apartments occupied by longtime tenants.

As the new owner of the units, Glacier Equities can legally boot tenants who’ve done nothing wrong and paid rent on time, then sell the co-op shares to individual buyers.

Wilson Z., who works as a cleaner in the city’s transit system and has lived in his McClellan Street apartment for 18 years, said he received his first 90-day notice from Glacier in May 2021, six months after the sale.

“I thought, ‘This cannot be,’” the 52-year-old, who declined to give his last name, said in an interview on Friday.

“In this building there are people with children, retirees, and people like myself who work day after day to be able to live here. And this is how we’re treated?”

The residents, housing-rights advocates and local politicians say it is a classic case of why Albany lawmakers should pass “Good Cause” eviction-protection legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 08:39 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
They are de-regulated units, so they either buy the units or move. If they've been living there for decades, they should have something saved up to move or buy. Smh. I had a similar situation where someone bought the building I was living in. Landlord called all of us and told us he was raising the rent and he would be gut renovating apartments. We had the option to move into a new apartment and pay the increase or leave. My neighbor and several other tenants decided to move rather than pay the increase. I stayed and moved into my old neighbor's apartment which was completely renovated. It was a hefty increase, but one that I knew would come eventually given how expensive the neighborhood is.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:14 AM

106,584 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Don’t count on tenants having saved money .most are tenants because they lack the resources to buy .

We offered the two remaining apartments we had to our tenants at half price , no money down and we would finance for 10 years and they couldn’t do it

Old 02-24-2022, 09:16 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Don’t count on tenants having saved money .most are tenants because they lack the resources to buy .

We offered the two remaining apartments we had to our tenants at half price , no money down and we would finance for 10 years and they couldn’t do it
I know, but it's pretty insane to be living some place for 20-30 years and not have anything saved. Sad situation.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:37 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,149,719 times
I'm endlessly confused by anything to do with NYC co-ops. A neighbor used to live in a co-op in a nice building in Queens. He told me never buy a co-op.

Old 02-24-2022, 12:37 PM

106,584 posts, read 108,739,314 times
I have lived in them and held many as rentals …all have been no problem as far as coops go.

All Our kids have used them as stepping stones too and they also have had no problems with their coops

Old 03-05-2022, 11:50 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times
After protracted fight, Bronx tenants begin to convert their building to a co-op. Another similar tale.

https://www.amny.com/new-york/bronx/...ng-to-a-co-op/

After the residents in a Bronx apartment joined forces in 2017 to resist the building’s deregulation, the effort grew to a scale that few of them believed possible.

Earlier this month, the landlord sold the building to a nonprofit helping the group convert it into a co-op — the first step on the path for the residents of 700 East 134th St. in Port Morris to home ownership.

But the road to this landmark moment for the group of South Bronx tenants was paved with uncertainty and struggle. A year ago, the tenants were still stuck in a legal battle with their landlord over whether or not the building was rent stabilized without a clear end in sight.

After real estate investor Jim Giddings bought the building for over $4 million in 2017 with the goal of turning it into market-rate housing and substantially increasing the rents, the tenants came together to contest his attempt to formally overturn the building’s rent stabilized status.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:56 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
There is much to learn from the phrase "Save for a rainy day". Many still don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City