Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 09:48 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMEH View Post
my point is where the hell are they planning to dump all the people that they are kicking out in other ghetto areas in the city that are actually undergoing LEGIT
gentrification? Are they just going to dump everyone in downtown far rockway?
You really don't know? Pick up a newspaper sometimes... Far Rockaway has several shelters and more are coming online there. They've also opened up several homeless shelters in Long Island City. The Progressive types are now complaining about loitering, fighting, filthiness and everything else that homeless people bring.

Far Rockaway isn't improving. Those hotels will also likely be used to house homeless, perhaps on a temporary basis, but they aren't going anywhere. I'm sure that people in Belle Harbor, Neponsit and Breezy could care less, since they are far away from that mess. Those areas are too expensive and also consist of mainly homeowners or in the case of Breezy Point, ,completely private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 10:15 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,150,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You really don't know? Pick up a newspaper sometimes... Far Rockaway has several shelters and more are coming online there. They've also opened up several homeless shelters in Long Island City. The Progressive types are now complaining about loitering, fighting, filthiness and everything else that homeless people bring.

Far Rockaway isn't improving. Those hotels will also likely be used to house homeless, perhaps on a temporary basis, but they aren't going anywhere. I'm sure that people in Belle Harbor, Neponsit and Breezy could care less, since they are far away from that mess. Those areas are too expensive and also consist of mainly homeowners or in the case of Breezy Point, ,completely private.

Numerous 'hotels' are going up all over NYC is odd locations like industrial areas of Brooklyn. These are designed to be homeless hotels and everyone knows it.

Long Island City homeless nightmare - https://licpost.com/lic-homeless-she...-the-past-year

Old 03-06-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Numerous 'hotels' are going up all over NYC is odd locations like industrial areas of Brooklyn. These are designed to be homeless hotels and everyone knows it.

Long Island City homeless nightmare - https://licpost.com/lic-homeless-she...-the-past-year
Yup. Worst off, the homeless situation doesn't appear to be cooling off.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:23 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,220,605 times
In short, the peeps (now I sound like Bugsy) that did not buy when the city was affordable, and rented at market rate had to move out (of the city) if they could not score government housing.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:27 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Yup. Worst off, the homeless situation doesn't appear to be cooling off.
I said it years ago. The homeless situation only gets worse as a place becomes more accommodating and friendly to them. Word gets out that this city or that city is better to the homeless and homeless from elsewhere find their way to those cities. That’s why it seems like it only gets worse despite spending on them increases. Of course, instead of agreeing, I remember many folks arguing with me.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I said it years ago. The homeless situation only gets worse as a place becomes more accommodating and friendly to them. Word gets out that this city or that city is better to the homeless and homeless from elsewhere find their way to those cities. That’s why it seems like it only gets worse despite spending on them increases. Of course, instead of agreeing, I remember many folks arguing with me.
What you're saying is absolutely correct. What I've been hearing is that people are now coming from out of state because of New York's housing laws hoping to score an apartment or anything. It's a big problem.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:44 AM

35 posts, read 23,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Canarsie fell for different reasons much earlier, in the mid-1990s. Isn't it amazing how when the Italians and Jews lived in Canarsie it was a desirable middle-class area. Amazing!
Really? What reasons are those? To this day many of the people in places like flatbush, east New York and brownsville consider canarsie a "rich" area. They don't think its hood and regard it as a place they want to live in someday. In fact even people in other spots across bk think canarsie is a upper class safe zone.

Jews and Italians used to live in east New York and Brownsville before the blacks but both areas were still dangerous slums that produced both infamous jewish and Italian gangsters. Murder incorporated and the purple gang come to mind when talking about jews.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMEH View Post
Really? What reasons are those? To this day many of the people in places like flatbush, east New York and brownsville consider canarsie a "rich" area. They don't think its hood and regard it as a place they want to live in someday. In fact even people in other spots across bk think canarsie is a upper class safe zone.

Jews and Italians used to live in east New York and Brownsville before the blacks but both areas were still dangerous slums that produced both infamous jewish and Italian gangsters. Murder incorporated and the purple gang come to mind when talking about jews.
Canarsie was similar to Mill Basin and Bergen Beach back in the day in that it was a stable, middle class neighborhood. Mill Basin and Bergen Beach are actually more monied, being upper middle to upper class, but Canarsie, just like parts of Southeast Queens started to flip and when it did, Whites moved out en masse. I wouldn't call Canarsie a complete ghetto, as you do have homeowners there and it is mainly Black Caribbeans living there these days, but it certainly isn't "rich". lol Just a middle class area, with some pockets that I would probably avoid.

The commercial areas certainly are filthy and run down though from a lack of investment.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:

People want to be all social justice and progressive but then they complain when things aren't like they thought they would be. However it's good to help the homeless so it's a hard chore. Some are legit mentally I'll or on drugs or whatever else so its rough for sure. In my opinion they should only let them out for job searches , not just given a bed and a curfew.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Canarsie was similar to Mill Basin and Bergen Beach back in the day in that it was a stable, middle class neighborhood. Mill Basin and Bergen Beach are actually more monied, being upper middle to upper class, but Canarsie, just like parts of Southeast Queens started to flip and when it did, Whites moved out en masse. I wouldn't call Canarsie a complete ghetto, as you do have homeowners there and it is mainly Black Caribbeans living there these days, but it certainly isn't "rich". lol Just a middle class area, with some pockets that I would probably avoid.

The commercial areas certainly are filthy and run down though from a lack of investment.
Canarsie I know has and always has had some serious housing projects so it's like a lot if NYC sections. Decent enough with some bad blocks here and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City