Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 07:48 AM

35 posts, read 23,525 times

Advertisements

Couldnt help but notice the huge construction going on in downtown Far Rockaway. Big condo like buildings like you would see in these up and coming sections of the city and a few new faux fancy semi cheap hotels built
nearby. It looked like downtown Far Rockaway was up and coming now, all the new construction makes it look newer and less slum like. It seems like the hotels are for any tourists planning to stay around for whatever fun stuff they're planning there and the condos looked nice and probably would be for some rich yuppies.

Then I found out all this construction is actually affordable housing/section 8. I still dont know what the hotels are for, the only people I know of using any hotels there are drug dealers and drug addicts. The hotels name and market themselves as JFK airport hotels but come on. The area around the actual airport is flooded with hotels and Far Rockaway is about 5 miles away from JFK and totally out of the way going south. The hotels seem to also house homeless types so I'd say they moonlight as shelters.

So no, downtown far rockaway is not getting gentrified. Arverne which was arguably the most dangerous part got semi gentrified but it was more like a makeover. Crime is down over there now and thghe area improved but downtown and everything else is still as active as its ever been as far as shootings and murders go. No it's not as ugly looking or ghetto looking and the issues there seem to be between gang members who know eachother but.....

my point is where the hell are they planning to dump all the people that they are kicking out in other ghetto areas in the city that are actually undergoing LEGIT
gentrification? Are they just going to dump everyone in downtown far rockway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 08:05 AM

5,804 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Dumping people? They move out when they cant afford to live in an area. NO one is forcing anyone out. Its how things work. When you cant afford you move out unless you own. Unless there is some sort of confusion about the word RENTING.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:21 AM

I should have worded it differently but how things tend to work when a lot of low income people get evicted they look to the city/government for help. Theres long waiting lists for the projects so then a lot of people are given choices to live in certain not so great spots. This where "dumping people" comes in at times. Just dump them in either this crappy development or that housing area or that shelter etc etc. Yeah dumping isnt the right word. Better to say " are a lot of the poor of NYC gonna flood downtown?"

And in a way they are forcing them out, they know these people wont be able to keep up but ya the almighty dollar and what not.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:36 AM

8,331 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMEH View Post
I should have worded it differently but how things tend to work when a lot of low income people get evicted they look to the city/government for help. Theres long waiting lists for the projects so then a lot of people are given choices to live in certain not so great spots. This where "dumping people" comes in at times. Just dump them in either this crappy development or that housing area or that shelter etc etc. Yeah dumping isnt the right word. Better to say " are a lot of the poor of NYC gonna flood downtown?"

And in a way they are forcing them out, they know these people wont be able to keep up but ya the almighty dollar and what not.

We all live where we can, and move when we need to (for school, for work, for retirement, for greater affordability, for landlord selling the property, etc). So, what do you mean "dumping people"? If the rental is no longer available, people find a different one. Adult people should not be looking to their mommy/city/government for help with ordinary matters of adult life.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:57 AM

It's not a matter of what people should be doing. It's a matter of what's going on in this situation. I think we all know how things work for MOST people. This isnt most people.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:58 AM

I just explained what "dumping people" meant and why it was a poor choice of words.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:16 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
I read an article a few years ago which said that the gentrification of central Brooklyn neighborhoods like Fort Greene, Bed-Sty, Crown Heights was displacing residents into the Brooklyn neighborhoods of Brownsville, East New York and Canarsie. It's very hard to quantify actual displacements.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:17 AM

Ok so upon more investigating I see that the developments are a government program indeed but 50 percent is set aside for queens residents of a certain section and the rest is citywide eligibility.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
I read an article a few years ago which said that the gentrification of central Brooklyn neighborhoods like Fort Greene, Bed-Sty, Crown Heights was displacing residents further east in Brooklyn into Brownsville, East New York and Canarsie. It's very hard to quantify actual displacements.
There you go. This is the type of stuff I'm talking about. Canarsie went totally downhill since then. I'm seeing more people from those areas in bk coming to far Rockaway as well.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:46 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMEH View Post
There you go. This is the type of stuff I'm talking about. Canarsie went totally downhill since then. I'm seeing more people from those areas in bk coming to far Rockaway as well.

Canarsie fell for different reasons much earlier, in the mid-1990s. Isn't it amazing how when the Italians and Jews lived in Canarsie it was a desirable middle-class area. Amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City