Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:08 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariswmn1987 View Post
I'm not ignorant. I know my facts and they are right.

My grandmother grew up in Olinville until she was 10 and she told me this place is just the gutter now.

My cousin told me that a girl was raped and almost murdered in the Bronx around the time I started college (2005). She went to Fordham University and lived in Little Italy which is only 3 blocks from the campus. Fordham is a good school, but once you get out there, it's just bad. My cousins friends always told me that place is dangerous. Even the students who walk down Fordham Sq gets mugged and picked on. They usually take the bus. And no take out want to delivery after 7pm.

I don't know why people want to move to a place where you know something is going bad to be happen. Just because you found cheap rent doesn't mean the area is safe. Even in Riverdale, those houses get robbed. People from the South Bronx come to these nice area because it's not too far from them.
Sorry, but you seem like you have never been in the BX your whole life, or have not been in NYC for a long time (I'm basing this on your previous post). If you haven't been to Fordham then you really shouldn't be talking about the area. I'll be the first to say the BX can be very dangerous. But the immediate area around Fordham U. and Fordham Rd for the matter is really not as dangerous as some people make it out to be. I see Fordham students going about their business during the day all the time. Fordham students don't really need to be anywhere besides the campus and Fordham Road. They would really have no business venturing to the other streets in the neighborhood (with the exception of Arthur Avenue, maybe). During the day Fordham Road is extremely busy, and there is a visible police presence.

At night there is a bus service that picks the Fordham students up from the train stations and takes them back to the campus. Unfortunately there are some kids that make themselves easy targets, they get hammered beyond recognition and walk around Fordham Road and other surrounding areas late at night when it becomes less safe. I've seen young girls drunk, making it obvious they are drunk by acting the fool. No one deserves to be a victim of a crime, but sometimes people do make themselves easy marks.

Also I don't want to belittle what happened to that girl, but crimes like that happen on or near colleges all over the country. The actual Fordham campus itself is very safe, almost like a fortress.

BTW the take out places do deliver past 7 P.M., I don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 05-15-2007 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 02:01 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
I dont' know if i would say crimes like the ones that occur around Fordham are the same all over the country.

College kids like to get hammered and stumble around. This is quite commonplace and can be seen at any college in the country. Everywhere from State colleges to the Ivies, drunken college kids can be found. Personally I don't approve of such drunkeness, but its almost a fact of life at this point.

However what is different is that at Fordham, the kids can get hammered and then might be mugged/raped/murdered by the local thugs after walking outside of the gates of the campus. I think that is a major difference between the Fordham area and other areas in the country where colleges are located. I generally don't hear about too many kids at Harvard being murdered after walking around Cambridge, MA or SUNY kids being harassed or mugged after walking off the campus of Stonybrook.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:38 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be safe anywhere in the city for young people to be drunk and alone in the middle of the night considering what happened to those 2 girls in Chelsea and Mark Fischer in Brooklyn. I don't think it is wise behavior anywhere, but the fact is that crime is higher in Fordham or in my neighborhood. It's not stay in your house or hear gunshots at night, or drug dealer on the corner type of crime (to the best of my knowledge), but I know that crime exists. Fordham is not a bit suburban, it is very urban and very dense. There are tons of people on Fordham Road, which makes me feel safe. I wouldn't walk around there by myself late at night, but my life is not such that I have to be out by myself at these hours. My husband, however, routinely walks the dog in the middle of the night, although I don't think that's a good idea either.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I dont' know if i would say crimes like the ones that occur around Fordham are the same all over the country.

College kids like to get hammered and stumble around. This is quite commonplace and can be seen at any college in the country. Everywhere from State colleges to the Ivies, drunken college kids can be found. Personally I don't approve of such drunkeness, but its almost a fact of life at this point.

However what is different is that at Fordham, the kids can get hammered and then might be mugged/raped/murdered by the local thugs after walking outside of the gates of the campus. I think that is a major difference between the Fordham area and other areas in the country where colleges are located. I generally don't hear about too many kids at Harvard being murdered after walking around Cambridge, MA or SUNY kids being harassed or mugged after walking off the campus of Stonybrook.
Trust me I was a college kid, and I got hammered plenty of times. But I used to do most of that on campus and around people I trusted would take care of me If I really got wasted. Sometimes the kids that go to Fordham are a little wet behind the ears. They haven't seen the grittier sides of the city and they do some really dumb things. Fordham U is right in the middle of a very urban enviroment, and it should not be compared to going to school in a small town or college town. The same would apply to NYU, Columbia, or any school set in an urban setting. The combination of heavy drinking, an urban environment, and being out late, can be deadly, especially for a young woman.

I admit Fordham as a neighborhood can be very dangerous, but most of the danger is at night. Which can be said about a lot of neighborhoods in the city. Reading some of the posts on here make Fordham seem like a jungle, or something out of one those early 80's Charles Bronson movies.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 05-16-2007 at 07:10 AM..

Old 05-16-2007, 11:00 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Sorry, but you seem like you have never been in the BX your whole life, or have not been in NYC for a long time (I'm basing this on your previous post). If you haven't been to Fordham then you really shouldn't be talking about the area. I'll be the first to say the BX can be very dangerous. But the immediate area around Fordham U. and Fordham Rd for the matter is really not as dangerous as some people make it out to be. I see Fordham students going about their business during the day all the time. Fordham students don't really need to be anywhere besides the campus and Fordham Road. They would really have no business venturing to the other streets in the neighborhood (with the exception of Arthur Avenue, maybe). During the day Fordham Road is extremely busy, and there is a visible police presence.

At night there is a bus service that picks the Fordham students up from the train stations and takes them back to the campus. Unfortunately there are some kids that make themselves easy targets, they get hammered beyond recognition and walk around Fordham Road and other surrounding areas late at night when it becomes less safe. I've seen young girls drunk, making it obvious they are drunk by acting the fool. No one deserves to be a victim of a crime, but sometimes people do make themselves easy marks.

Also I don't want to belittle what happened to that girl, but crimes like that happen on or near colleges all over the country. The actual Fordham campus itself is very safe, almost like a fortress.

BTW the take out places do deliver past 7 P.M., I don't know what you are talking about.
The University is surrounded by high traffic drug locations. However that isn't the big problem. The big problem is the stick up kids who sneak into the Fordham University grounds and rob kids. The street losers who take advantage of the drunk girls coming out the bars across the street from the University. The drug dealers and gang members bored to death or just plain mean and jump or rob the kids who wonder beyond Fordham Road. Arthur Ave is only okay for a few blocks, and not even at night. Little Italy is long gone. As for Fordham Road the footpost concentrate from Grand Concourse to Webster and they can't be everywhere. I have personaly seen gangs slug it out on Fordham Road, stopping traffic broad daylight. And the cameras are a joke.

Quote:
I'm not ignorant. I know my facts and they are right.

My grandmother grew up in Olinville until she was 10 and she told me this place is just the gutter now.

My cousin told me that a girl was raped and almost murdered in the Bronx around the time I started college (2005). She went to Fordham University and lived in Little Italy which is only 3 blocks from the campus. Fordham is a good school, but once you get out there, it's just bad. My cousins friends always told me that place is dangerous. Even the students who walk down Fordham Sq gets mugged and picked on. They usually take the bus. And no take out want to delivery after 7pm.

I don't know why people want to move to a place where you know something is going bad to be happen. Just because you found cheap rent doesn't mean the area is safe. Even in Riverdale, those houses get robbed. People from the South Bronx come to these nice area because it's not too far from them.
Yes that area is pretty ****ty. There was a shooting male likely to die on White Plains Road last night. The Jamaicans don't **** around. As for take out, i'm surprised they do not deliver to the University but there is a delivery black list. No one enters buildngs at all, deliver to the lobby door and wait. Certain buildings recieve no delivery at all.

Last edited by Hustla718; 05-16-2007 at 11:10 AM..

Old 05-16-2007, 01:33 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
I just read from a previous post that you're a cop. You actually have time to go on the Internet? You should be catching all those robbers!!!! eekkkk
I'm on sick for a while due to Asthma. It's been really bad. That time of the year.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:23 PM

13 posts, read 53,980 times
please people, IF YOU HAVENT LIVED IN THE BRONX IN RECENT YEARS DO NOT PASS -IVE COMMENTS.

Just like any other place in and around NYC there are neighborhoods those are good and hoods those are bad.

if someone is working at the zoo and makes $30,000 why in Gods name they only have to go to fordham, little italy or woodlawn. just because the guy is euoropean (scott)doesnt mean that he wants to live in woodlaws with all the irish. second of all if you guys havent been to woodlawn in recent years then may be you should. most of the supposed recent immigrants from ireland have gone back, ireland is actualy being dubbed as the celtic tiger and has the hottest economies in the supposed wwII depressed europe.( dont forget, euro has more value then the $$$)

Kijamon, you can check out the pelham parkways area. a lot of buildings and rentals, on northside mostly albanians and yugoslavian on the south its mixed but if you go towards moris park then it turns a bit italian. eastchester road and around jacoby, 49th precint is safe and still affordable. parkway south or north past williamsbridge it sort of suburban feeling depending upon which street you are on. #2 and #5 are available for easy 20 minute commute to anywhere in manhattan. and all of the areas above are either walkable to zoo or you can take a bus. areas around moshulu parkway is also dercent and end of grand concourse is still decent. again those are mixed population. want to move further then move to city island(rent or share) or throgsneck. some houses have studios in about $800 range. most likely if $30,000 is before taxes then you would be better off with a one bed or 2 with a partner.

Bronx zoo however is a very nice place to be summer or winter and occasional walks in the botanical garden make you forget that you are in NYC.try the train show around christmas and dont forget to check out the hollywood famous christmas house on pelham parkway north. we are annual members of the zoo and love it there.

move to NYC, its fun just have to work hard. and good luck in life and at the zoo.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:41 PM

13 posts, read 53,980 times
to pariswmn1987

please move to texas soon. we know how intelligent people there are. we have a texan in DC. we hear it, see it, pay for it and feel the intelligence every day. thank you.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:04 AM

3 posts, read 14,734 times
Default Not even Woodlawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah but many of those people who live on less than $30,000 a year are living in public housing projections or section 8. $30,000 really isn't enough in this area, but Europeans are pretty cheap, so what the heck.

Well if you don't mind Irish people, check out the Woodlawn section of the Bronx which is north of the Bronx Zoo. It is kind of an Irish enclave where a lot of recent Irish immigrants live.
I live in Woodlawn, I am Irish and my husband is born NYC. I speak 5 languages and he works all the hours of the day and we can't make it here. We are moving back to UK (he has never been) where we can live like civilized people and not on the brink of poverty. We have no health insurance, we can't afford it and the last straw was when they cancelled our 2yr old's insurance because of an admin error and she was without insurance for over a month. We can't eat, we never go out. I went from owing my own home, car, horse, 4 vacations a year, great social life to living like a pauper. And we are not alone. Do not move to Bronx on $30,000.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanreay View Post
I live in Woodlawn, I am Irish and my husband is born NYC. I speak 5 languages and he works all the hours of the day and we can't make it here. We are moving back to UK (he has never been) where we can live like civilized people and not on the brink of poverty. We have no health insurance, we can't afford it and the last straw was when they cancelled our 2yr old's insurance because of an admin error and she was without insurance for over a month. We can't eat, we never go out. I went from owing my own home, car, horse, 4 vacations a year, great social life to living like a pauper. And we are not alone. Do not move to Bronx on $30,000.
I've had several friends and co-workers who have spent time in the UK tell me that it is very expensive and actually has a higher cost of living than many parts of the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City