Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 12:21 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,403,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
China had the right idea: one child per woman...and then they panicked and abandoned it when they saw it was working.

The U.S. has exactly the wrong idea: we give TAX BREAKS and food and housing support for extra kids. And we support religions whose goal is to "Go forth and multiply."

China did not "panic and abandon" their one-child policy. They stopped it after it achieved its goal (ie, achieved the widespread massive increase in standard of living/quality of life). They are having an issue with disproportionately many more young men than women now (because so many female newborns were "strangled by umbilical cord during delivery"... which somehow happened far less frequently to male newborns ), but otherwise the policy has worked so well that it is not needed any more.

Taxpayers in the US should not be stimulating welfare population to have kids they can't raise by paying that population for having kids. There should be a fixed welfare benefit for an adult earning less than a certain cutoff annual income, and it should be up to that adult how many people he/she wants to feed with that fixed handout. The handout should come with a photo of Serena Williams in action with a racket, and the information that she has one child, which she has had after she had built a successful career in sports, after she was married, and when she was well in her 30s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 02:34 PM

5,689 posts, read 2,618,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
China had the right idea: one child per woman...and then they panicked and abandoned it when they saw it was working.

The U.S. has exactly the wrong idea: we give TAX BREAKS and food and housing support for extra kids. And we support religions whose goal is to "Go forth and multiply."
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantcookies View Post
Give $30,000 a year to those who do not have kids.
Exactly. Those that chose to be childless get squat.

Old 03-26-2022, 10:17 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times
Adams says he’s kicking homeless New Yorkers out of their encampments. Where will they go?

And that is the million dollar question.

https://gothamist.com/news/mayor-ada...ontent=2022326

Old 03-27-2022, 06:19 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Adams says he’s kicking homeless New Yorkers out of their encampments. Where will they go?

And that is the million dollar question.

https://gothamist.com/news/mayor-ada...ontent=2022326

Jersey City?

Old 03-27-2022, 06:29 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
“Without expanding access to the types of shelters people want and need…”

There’s a well-known way to get the type of housing you want: get a job and attain it for yourself. Until then, you take what society offers because we’re paying for it.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-28-2022, 05:26 AM

6,465 posts, read 3,160,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The homeless themselves are the ones creating the danger to themselves and others. If they have a criminal history, throw them in jail. If they have a mental history throw them in a mental institution (and yes these need to be brought back big time). If you take care of those two subgroups, then the shelters will become safer literally overnight as those two groups are the ones contributing most of the problems.
That's it, in a nutshell.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:34 PM

Cops, sanitation clear homeless encampment under BQE as Adams’ new policy takes effect

https://www.amny.com/news/cops-sanit...-adams-policy/

Old 03-28-2022, 09:18 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Cops, sanitation clear homeless encampment under BQE as Adams’ new policy takes effect

https://www.amny.com/news/cops-sanit...-adams-policy/
That's all very well, but plenty of "camps" or camping out homeless in subway system. Person or persons have set up housekeeping at north end of 72nd and Second "Q" stop for past few months. Each time train pulls out looks like that spot is growing with more rubbish and homeless.

Old 03-28-2022, 10:29 PM

Yeah. I know. They're just moving homeless people around. It's whack a mole. Sigh.
It's so depressing. I really wonder if other countries have this type of problem. With this magnitude and scale.
And criminality. I really wonder... I'm going to google!

We can't be the only country dealing with this.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:16 AM

6,465 posts, read 3,160,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
“Without expanding access to the types of shelters people want and need…”

There’s a well-known way to get the type of housing you want: get a job and attain it for yourself. Until then, you take what society offers because we’re paying for it.
(I missed this post, yesterday..........)

I agree, 100%. I didn't come from a wealthy family, in any way, shape, or form. But we got by, and made things work. How? Our "secret formula" was w-o-r-k, and lots of it. Over the years, I absorbed all of the OT that my employer had to offer, and because I was one of the more competent employees, I was usually one of the first to be tapped for OT, when it was needed, to make production schedules.

Some of the OT pay was spent, for "extras", to make life a little more enjoyable, but most of it was salted away, in my 401K plan, for future growth. It allowed me to retire at the age of 56..........

There was an article in my local newspaper, today, about housing for the "economically disadvantaged". One protestor was shown carrying a sign reading, "Housing is a right". They should tell that to their parents, as THEY were the ones who brought children into the impoverished situation, NOT the rest of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: