Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 08:16 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times

Advertisements

That's sad.

https://www.amny.com/news/record-hom...t-year-report/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 05:38 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
The article opens with an indictment against our government “not doing enough,” then moments later says that 3/4 of them died in shelters.

The government does MORE than enough for the homeless. The vast majority don’t want help. Over 18 years, I can count on one hand the amount of homeless people who accepted shelter when we offered it.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-24-2022, 06:42 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The article opens with an indictment against our government “not doing enough,” then moments later says that 3/4 of them died in shelters.

The government does MORE than enough for the homeless. The vast majority don’t want help. Over 18 years, I can count on one hand the amount of homeless people who accepted shelter when we offered it.
I don't think that's entirely true. I've read countless articles in which people were quoted stating that they'd rather go to jail than stay in a shelter due to the conditions.

I forgot which publication it was, but years ago they ran an article detailing the conditions of a family shelter in Fort Greene. Truly horrific to read.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-24-2022, 06:49 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I don't think that's entirely true. I've read countless articles in which people were quoted stating that they'd rather go to jail than stay in a shelter due to the conditions.

I forgot which publication it was, but years ago they ran an article detailing the conditions of a family shelter in Fort Greene. Truly horrific to read.
I keep hearing that the shelters are so terrible, yet the City spends billions every year with no changes to improve the shelters.

Old 03-24-2022, 06:56 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I keep hearing that the shelters are so terrible, yet the City spends billions every year with no changes to improve the shelters.
Another problem within itself. Truth be told, the shelters exhibit the same issues as your typical slumlord. Add to it that a lot of shelter residents have mental issues, and it culminates to a bad situation.

How would you go about cleaning up the shelters? Any ideas?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-24-2022, 07:05 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times
Not safe anywhere: NYC’s homeless residents, advocates decry dangerous shelter and street conditions.
The shelter system is far worse than coming face to face with a murderer. Now, that's a serious indictment.

https://www.amny.com/news/not-safe-a...et-conditions/

Old 03-24-2022, 07:38 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,232,697 times
Quote:

LOL. We are suppose to believe you sitting in Far Rockaway reading articles over someone who deals with them firsthand for decades.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Another problem within itself. Truth be told, the shelters exhibit the same issues as your typical slumlord. Add to it that a lot of shelter residents have mental issues, and it culminates to a bad situation.

How would you go about cleaning up the shelters? Any ideas?
The homeless themselves are the ones creating the danger to themselves and others. If they have a criminal history, throw them in jail. If they have a mental history throw them in a mental institution (and yes these need to be brought back big time). If you take care of those two subgroups, then the shelters will become safer literally overnight as those two groups are the ones contributing most of the problems.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:46 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
LOL. We are suppose to believe you sitting in Far Rockaway reading articles over someone who deals with them firsthand for decades.
On one hand he has a point: they have their reasons. But beggars (literally) can't be choosers. This is what society is offering you. Take it or leave it. At some point, it has to be on them.

That's the fundamental difference between left vs right leaning people. There's a limit to my largesse. I had a few homeless people turn up dead who I'd offered help to in the past. Those instances didn't bother me in the least. We tried, they didn't want it.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-24-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
On one hand he has a point: they have their reasons. But beggars (literally) can't be choosers. This is what society is offering you. Take it or leave it. At some point, it has to be on them.

That's the fundamental difference between left vs right leaning people. There's a limit to my largesse. I had a few homeless people turn up dead who I'd offered help to in the past. Those instances didn't bother me in the least. We tried, they didn't want it.
Exactly, except now, the city is actually building tons and tons of brand spanking new units for the homeless in every nook and cranny of the city, even prime areas. The homeless get better housing than many working stiffs in this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: