Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 08:12 AM

1,089 posts, read 568,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It is when you don't know their circumstances. NYC is still majority renters by a mile, so those who buy, many of them are not rolling around in money.
You don't know their circumstances either. And I said if they bought awhile ago, they'd have equity because of buying in a neighborhood where prices rose dramatically.

Its ok if you don't agree with my suggestion but at least read what I wrote before jumping all over it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 08:24 AM

12,793 posts, read 8,374,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
You don't know their circumstances either. And I said if they bought awhile ago, they'd have equity because of buying in a neighborhood where prices rose dramatically.

Its ok if you don't agree with my suggestion but at least read what I wrote before jumping all over it
I can read just fine. There are a lot of people that are out of touch on this forum. NYC is still NYC, with the majority of residents struggling to make ends meet, whether they rent or own. That's just a fact, so this idea that people can do this or so that... The people that had options and the money and needed to move in most cases already did.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:22 AM

78 posts, read 27,619 times
What would happen if NYC had a “White Only Neighborhood”? White Only Colleges. White Only Anything.

Why is it if black homeowners over extend themselves and take on real estate business endeavors that they cannot afford to weather the storm, all the sudden everyone is picking on them because “black”.

Old 03-28-2022, 10:39 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,283,557 times
Quote:
I can read just fine. There are a lot of people that are out of touch on this forum. NYC is still NYC, with the majority of residents struggling to make ends meet, whether they rent or own. That's just a fact, so this idea that people can do this or so that... The people that had options and the money and needed to move in most cases already did.
Maybe they decided to drive around $50K cars every 3 years? Maybe they took nice vacations every year against a HELOC.
Poor, poor people. Lucked out into million+ in equity and pissed it away. We should.feel very sorry for them.

Old 03-28-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Maybe they decided to drive around $50K cars every 3 years? Maybe they took nice vacations every year against a HELOC.
Poor, poor people. Lucked out into million+ in equity and pissed it away. We should.feel very sorry for them.
Gentrification in Harlem was on a block-by-block basis and most New Yorkers rent, including people in Harlem. It was really West Harlem that benefitted, while East Harlem... Not as much. Sure, some people turned a nice profit and pissed it away, but to make that assumption for all of them seems a bit rash. Just because people own doesn't mean they're swimming in money. That's a very common assumption. We had a receptionist that used to work for us. I don't know what her salary was, but she didn't live in a great area of the Bronx, but she managed to put some money together to buy something. There are many New Yorkers like this. Generally speaking, owning is cheaper than renting, but the main obstacle people face is the down payment.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:12 AM
PVW

287 posts, read 166,937 times
A neighboring homeowner of a three family might be at risk for this.

Her parents bought the house years ago. After they died, she and her siblings could have sold the property and pocketed the proceeds. Instead, she might have bought them out. She was the only one remaining in NYC, although she wasn't living in the family home.

She took out mortgages. She renovated the place and rented it out. But she isn't leasing the units at market rate--an elderly long term tenant, and now, some relatives she's moving in.

She's retired now and it's a struggle to pay the mortgage (and the taxes as well, I'm sure). At one point, she tried selling. It was on the market for a long time, with no buyers. She asked too much of an asking price? It's off the market now.

Last edited by PVW; 03-29-2022 at 05:32 AM..

Old 03-29-2022, 06:30 AM

Quote:
"Majority" struggling? Who's the one out of touch?

Old 03-29-2022, 08:08 AM

2,335 posts, read 1,051,633 times
Meh. Just do what many NY blacks have been doing and move to Atlanta. Or Hotlanta as they call it. The place seems to be good for jobs, lower cost of living, cheaper housing, and culture. It also has less crime than NYC.

Old 03-29-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
"Majority" struggling? Who's the one out of touch?
We could make a broader comment and discuss the entire US because yes that is correct. 56% of Americans can't cover a $1000 emergency. You think NYC is going to be much better with the high cost of living?

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/19/56pe...h-savings.html

Old 04-01-2022, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVW View Post
A neighboring homeowner of a three family might be at risk for this.

Her parents bought the house years ago. After they died, she and her siblings could have sold the property and pocketed the proceeds. Instead, she might have bought them out. She was the only one remaining in NYC, although she wasn't living in the family home.

She took out mortgages. She renovated the place and rented it out. But she isn't leasing the units at market rate--an elderly long term tenant, and now, some relatives she's moving in.

She's retired now and it's a struggle to pay the mortgage (and the taxes as well, I'm sure). At one point, she tried selling. It was on the market for a long time, with no buyers. She asked too much of an asking price? It's off the market now.
If this is a true story, this person made one mistake after another. This wasn't just one mistake, bad luck, and losing out. This is years (decades?) If poor choices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: