Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 04:30 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,306,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You deserve a round of applause for the bolded

At least you have some sort of business acumen

Most LLs can't afford to carry the mortgage on their own, even worse, they live on the same property as the tenants
I am very strategic when I buy property. Our properties are either bought with 20 year loans or we make extra payments. The goal is to pay them all off by the time we retire.

They also all have at least $200K in equity when we purchase them. It is not easy to find them but I don't stray from my business plans.

If we have to sell we will NEVER loose money unless the market completely tanks. In that case everyone would be loosing their minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 04:31 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
When you rent to a tenant you are giving them your money in effect by giving them your property…

At least the bank has a property lien …you as a landlord have nothing of equal value from that tenant.

Most rentals in nyc are multi story buildings at least 5 family so most landlords are usually not the small guy with limited resources.

More than half of all rentals are stabilized and that means five family or more
Interesting point, to the bolded.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-28-2022, 04:32 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I am very strategic when I buy property. Our properties are either bought with 20 year loans or we make extra payments. The goal is to pay them all off by the time we retire.

They also all have at least $200K in equity when we purchase them. It is not easy to find them but I don't stray from my business plans.

If we have to sell we will NEVER loose money unless the market completely tanks. In that case everyone would be loosing their minds.
Glad to hear your system is working for you

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-28-2022, 11:23 PM

107 posts, read 85,733 times
O really? Well I did, and I always got it back too, along with a courteous good-bye and the welcome mat extended if I should ever want to return. Now whether or not I am in my right mind may be a reasonable enough question, but this is not evidence that I am not. On what basis do you conclude the contrary? Now if Landlords are either not asking or are not permitted to ask, then of course, I'm not offering.

No doubt you told them this upon preparing to vacate the apartment, not at the initial lease signing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
You only had security from the idiots. No one in their right mind (in NY ) ever paid for last months rent and waited for the LL to return the deposit.

When I was still renting I always told the LL to use security as last month and bill me an itemized invoice if needed.

Old 03-28-2022, 11:36 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,767,702 times
I never received a security deposit because the 1st place I stayed for 11 years and knew I wasnt getting anything back. The other place was turned into a condo and they allowed us to keep the last 2 months rent to put toward moving.

Old 03-29-2022, 12:45 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,254,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
As it becomes harder to evict, the landlords can either come up with stricter requirements or have to have a premium on the monthly rent price to recoup potential losses.
If to evict somebody all you had to do was slap a 2 week eviction notice, then we probably wouldn't even have any income requirements at all in the first place. Now that it can potentially take almost a year and a lot of time and $, landlords will make all sorts of requirements trying to filter out the tenants.
Yup, another failed liberal social experiment that has the opposite effect.

Old 03-29-2022, 02:02 AM

107,023 posts, read 109,313,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
You only had security from the idiots. No one in their right mind (in NY ) ever paid for last months rent and waited for the LL to return the deposit.

When I was still renting I always told the LL to use security as last month and bill me an itemized invoice if needed.
it was done so frequently that the new laws that were imposed stopped allowing it…only stabilized apartments couldn’t get first , last and security ….

Others were free to do so and in fact many did until the change in the laws stop it.

Now landlords can simply make the tenant responsible for all legal costs and sue them when last months rent isn’t paid ,even though they are moving out and put it in the lease .

Most tenants won’t want the hassle and expense of going to court

Old 03-29-2022, 06:36 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,273,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You deserve a round of applause for the bolded

At least you have some sort of business acumen

Most LLs can't afford to carry the mortgage on their own, even worse, they live on the same property as the tenants
You're refrencing neighborhoods like Canarsie, Jamaica, etc. Total clown shows or neighborhoods where, due to renting out, single and two family homes wind up housing 15-20 people with 3-5 cars for every house and the associated increase in general untidiness.

You think people who purchase in Park Slope, the UWS, or Riverdale, rent out the same homes they're living in just so they can afford the mortgage?

Old 03-29-2022, 06:38 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,273,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it was done so frequently that the new laws that were imposed stopped allowing it…only stabilized apartments couldn’t get first , last and security ….

Others were free to do so and in fact many did until the change in the laws stop it.

Now landlords can simply make the tenant responsible for all legal costs and sue them when last months rent isn’t paid ,even though they are moving out and put it in the lease .

Most tenants won’t want the hassle and expense of going to court
Only the most foolish and petty LLs would take the tenant to court over this unless the apartment was absoluy trashed. It makes 0 business sense otherwise.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:41 AM

107,023 posts, read 109,313,415 times
It doesn’t mean you will , it means that the tenant knows if you want to make an issue they are going to get bagged for all costs . So it can act as a deterrent.

No smart landlord wants to be holding no security…

On my stabilized apartments getting a tenant to leave is well worth not holding security if they use last months rent …we would be selling those off .

However the non stabilized stuff would be an issue and I would do all I could not to be left without a security deposit…

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-29-2022 at 06:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: