Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 04:46 PM

31,957 posts, read 27,093,183 times

Advertisements

There are several HUD buildings on Simpson Street:

https://motthavenherald.com/2012/04/...e-for-housing/

https://www.publichousing.com/detail...simpson-street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 05:17 PM

78 posts, read 27,456 times
I could imagine there is more going on in that place than just the guy under the stairwells. Weak building security suggests there could be a drug dealer in the building or just someone who Wants the entry to be compromised.

Obviously the stairwell guy does not have a key: or does he? Perhaps someone in the building has special sympathy for him for some reason, and they gave him a key or a key fab.

There are probably a few dozen other people living in the building and like the moderator pointed out a porter or building supervisor goes in to sweep the stairs. Even in run down buildings somebody has to sweep up the blunt tobacco from the stairs.

Overall the news story is misleading and probably lacks half of the key information about why the guy was allowed to occupy two stairwells.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:50 PM

1,075 posts, read 554,652 times
The article Bugsy posted talked about a mob of 200 desperate people waiting in line at 1:30 am to make sure they could apply to be in one of those HUD subsidized units.

The building sounds like a nightmare. And I bet that the people who do get to live there legally are scared to do anything that gets them kicked out. So they might not be up for ganging up on the homeless guy and throwing out his belongings.

Management needs to step up and make sure the police are called in to get rid of this guy.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
This is a new one. I would be PISSED if I was paying rent or a mortgage and some homeless guy took up residence getting UberEats delivered and having friends "sleep over". What's really absurd is that management can't get rid of the guy.

https://abc7ny.com/homeless-living-i...i6eDb3R23tR85c
ABC7/NY news seems to specialize in these sort of reports....

https://abc7ny.com/nycha-homeless-st...ronx/10904026/

Old 03-28-2022, 09:26 PM

Personally I call BS. People who do not live in a building cannot simply set up housekeeping in common areas. That is trespassing....

Granted making a phone call to NYPD will get response, but most they can do is tell person or persons to bust a move.

Simple trespassing is a violation, not even a criminal offense, so most times LE won't even bother making an arrest unless there is a larger issue, and or someone makes big enough stink.

https://www.findlaw.com/state/new-yo...pass-laws.html

Larger question in any such instance is who is letting these people into what should be locked and secure buildings.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:28 PM

Again homeless trespassing inside buildings isn't exactly news, especially for public or subsidized housing. Sadly some eejits take matters into their own hands...

https://nypost.com/2021/11/20/video-...nyc-stairwell/

https://thevillagesun.com/lower-east...wo-weeks-later

Old 03-28-2022, 10:00 PM

“ Larger question in any such instance is who is letting these people into what should be locked and secure buildings.”

Unless it was a doorman building, most buildings always have someone who Wants to compromise the entrance security. They may leave a piece of wood in the door because their friend is going to visit in a half hour and they want them to just walk up. There can be a more deliberate tampering of the door latch so the front door key system does not work at all. They can place tape above the door so it slightly stays open for visitors.

There are always tenants that Want the entrance to be open for someone or anyone.

Old 03-28-2022, 10:28 PM

Alright I was able to watch the movie of the guy. It looks worse than I thought. It looks like something the police should be able to get him out of there immediately. What a total mess.

I have never lived in a HUD building like that. The guy has an open beer next to a water bottle urine. It is clearly something that says something is direly wrong. I hope they find a solution to this one.

I figured the guy was underneath a staircase but he is just in a stairwell.

A lot of the comments from the tenants are just their opinions and off hand accounts. They need to get police in there to clear him out if they can.

Old 03-29-2022, 05:19 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,130,658 times
Quote:
clearly this is an issue that the management company needs to address
^^^^100%^^^^
"We've been looking into this ongoing problem: does not qualify.

Tenants should stage a Rent strike. That's the only language landlords understand.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:45 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,155,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rent1234 View Post
“ Larger question in any such instance is who is letting these people into what should be locked and secure buildings.”

Unless it was a doorman building, most buildings always have someone who Wants to compromise the entrance security. They may leave a piece of wood in the door because their friend is going to visit in a half hour and they want them to just walk up. There can be a more deliberate tampering of the door latch so the front door key system does not work at all. They can place tape above the door so it slightly stays open for visitors.

There are always tenants that Want the entrance to be open for someone or anyone.
People often buzz in people using the intercom without knowing who it is. A person rings multiple apts until one lets them in. The residents may also be expecting a delivery, be it food or a package and assume the ringer is that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: