Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 07:51 PM

593 posts, read 474,462 times

Advertisements

The problem is that productive people are paying heavy NYC & NYS taxes and getting little to nothing in return. At some point, people get sick of being fleeced. They can move to another state, reduce their cost of living by 70%, and retire several years earlier than they would have if they stayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 08:05 PM

593 posts, read 474,462 times
Another aspect to this is that NYC is no longer anything particularly special. Things changed in the early to mid 2000's. Other areas of the country stepped up their game. Many of the interesting and talented people were priced out and left. What remains are banksters, uber wealthy, and people on public assistance programs. The NYC government was completely behind the curve with the remote work revolution. They should have been furiously trying to find ways to keep workers. Instead, they drove them away with their policies.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:20 PM

2,712 posts, read 1,300,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
Another aspect to this is that NYC is no longer anything particularly special. Things changed in the early to mid 2000's. Other areas of the country stepped up their game. Many of the interesting and talented people were priced out and left. What remains are banksters, uber wealthy, and people on public assistance programs. The NYC government was completely behind the curve with the remote work revolution. They should have been furiously trying to find ways to keep workers. Instead, they drove them away with their policies.
This 100%.

NYC is still a great destination, but this isn't the 1970s/80s anymore. NYC has become a lot more generic with many of its classic institutions closing and being replaced with new places that could be found in just about any other decent city in the country. But as you said, many cities have also stepped up there game big time. NYC still has a lot to offer, but it isn't what it once was and likely never will be again.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:15 AM

3,367 posts, read 1,260,875 times
Adams needs to live in reality. Companies are only going to spend the money on Manhattan offices to have people work from them if they'll make more money that way. They rightly don't care if local businesses or NYC's economy suffer if they have their employees work from home. He thinks that because they do suffer that's motivation for these companies to end WFH and his thought process makes zero sense.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:27 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,316,072 times
So people should sacrifice their happiness and well being so nyc can have more revenue and tax sources? To obtain money that the politicians will no doubt squander?

Old 03-30-2022, 06:42 AM

1,274 posts, read 984,782 times
For all the people talking about leaving companies for WFH, others are taking those positions to work in the office so I think it's 50/50.

For all the negative on the subway, every time I travel domestically, I realize the food scene in NYC is simply incomparable in term of diversity, and quality, and that makes me come back.

But yes, I do not know how this will work out. I think banks are the big employers calling back employees and if they do come back, this will probably set the tone.

For all the workers going WFH in other states, companies in NY may want to negotiate the pay and scale it down based on the COL. When that happens more broadly, it will be another decision point. But I am sure some would rather be paid less, even way less, but still enjoy the non city life so why not.

Old 03-30-2022, 12:08 PM

5,205 posts, read 4,698,181 times
I can't speak for anyone else but here are my experiences after returning to "normal" office work after two years.

Manhattan just has a lot more options. More places to eat and shop in easy walking distance. I move around a lot more when having to go into the office.

Office computer can't match the set up I have at home. But the lack of distractions does make me more productive for certain tasks.

I spend the same money for lunch. Food plus delivery fee at home is easily the same or more than what I pay for in Manhattan.

Happy hour after work means I spend more when going into the office for entertainment.

My current office overlooks Bryant Park so the view is a lot nicer than my home. I go in 2-3 days a week which is a perfect mix of office and WFH.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:54 PM

2,712 posts, read 1,300,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
So people should sacrifice their happiness and well being so nyc can have more revenue and tax sources? To obtain money that the politicians will no doubt squander?
This is why they want to end WFH.

There's no other reason. The only people who want to go back are people who live in a boring place and/or can't stand their family.

If I could get out of NYC, I'd never go back again.

Old 03-30-2022, 04:13 PM

8,737 posts, read 11,153,749 times
why rant? Adams too slow or stupid? He needs to realize the current changing world and adjust. Cut the pork. Shrink government.

I agree homeless and criminals are the ones really draining nyc. Oh yeah hire back the fired people who were unvaccinated.

Old 03-31-2022, 03:41 AM

5,953 posts, read 3,061,497 times
I balanced it out by doing 50/50 most of the time.
Working from home is great and all but after two years I had enough. I do miss the city but not enough to do 5 days a week. That will never happen again.
When working from home I can play guitar, go for a bike ride , exercise, go for a drive in a convertible etc. Quality of life is so much better.
That 5 day slave regimen is old news. I’m so glad for everyone who was able to get away from that. There is so much more to life than working till 65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City