Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 02:42 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,021,121 times

Advertisements

The ideology that cars are bad and biking is good has been going on for some time now. For some reason they want people to bike around like in China.
The rich will always drive around in expensive cars.
I have nothing against bikes, I love biking for fun. I also love cars and have 3, all for pleasure as I either take the train to work or work from home.
Eliminating parking spots hurts those who cant afford a garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 02:56 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,169,313 times
Only NYC is stupid enough to think that punishing car owners is a positive thing. NYC car owners tend to be in a slightly higher middle-class income group. Just the economic class NYC needs to keep it's local businesses thriving. 62.7% of Queens households own a car. Queens has an average of 4535 vehicle-owning households per square mile, and an average of 6715 registered vehicles per square mile. Queens has roughly 328 registered cars per linear street mile, so taking away 100 spaces in one area could be a 30% drop in available on-street spaces. Punishing the middle-class is not a winning strategy. I haven't been to LIC in ages, but I don't think it's an area with many private driveways. Are there many garages in LIC for residents to park in?

Old 04-08-2022, 03:10 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,021,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Only NYC is stupid enough to think that punishing car owners is a positive thing. NYC car owners tend to be in a slightly higher middle-class income group. Just the economic class NYC needs to keep it's local businesses thriving. 62.7% of Queens households own a car. Queens has an average of 4535 vehicle-owning households per square mile, and an average of 6715 registered vehicles per square mile. Queens has roughly 328 registered cars per linear street mile, so taking away 100 spaces in one area could be a 30% drop in available on-street spaces. Punishing the middle-class is not a winning strategy. I haven't been to LIC in ages, but I don't think it's an area with many private driveways. Are there many garages in LIC for residents to park in?
Punishing the middle class is an American tradition, NYC even more so. Where have you been?

Old 04-08-2022, 07:00 PM

80 posts, read 66,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Bike lanes that aren't even used. I see it all the time in Manhattan. The cyclists ride in the opposite direction, use ALL lanes AND the sidewalk.
They are probably using their own common sense than listening to political non sense. It would’ve saved the city a lot more money if they passed a hit and run law for cyclists instead. Those money they spent on creating bike lanes could’ve went to putting unemployed young people to work for the government.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:31 PM

34,198 posts, read 47,507,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
these freaking citibikes and bike lanes have become a royal PITA for the motorists, we already have parking problems and the city just keeps taking away more and more, where the eff do they think weee supposed to park our cars, and no, I dont wanna get rid of my car, i dont wanna use public transportation and have to ride with a bunch of disgusting annoying people, or get stuck in a train car and have to hear a bunch of idiots with a boom box start dancing in the middle of the
car, or have the pan handlers begging for money, nope, dont wanna do that.
nightcrawler

You and others may find this article interesting, take a read when you have a chance

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/03/17/r...t-parking.html

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-09-2022, 08:09 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,169,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
nightcrawler

You and others may find this article interesting, take a read when you have a chance

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/03/17/r...t-parking.html

Quote:
The ban against permanent parking on the city streets extends back at least to the mid-19th century, and was considered a sacred contract by the time the automobile arrived in real numbers in the early 1900's.

'Sacred'? The ban was instituted in an effort to keep horses of the public streets for reasons of sanitation, not to keep automobiles off the streets. The article doesn't state it but I believe the ban was only ever in effect in Manhattan. I think we got 4-days/week ASP in my old Brooklyn neighborhood around 1962, I remember neighbors complaining about it. In the early 1980s our ASP was reduced to 2-days/week.

ASP was never instituted on Staten Island or in many areas of the other outer borough.

Old 04-09-2022, 09:12 AM

1,446 posts, read 741,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Agreed.

If anything, the money should be put into improving NYC's public transportation infrastructure. You want people to stop driving cars, give them a good reason to. Bike lanes isn't it.

Old 04-09-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
Agreed.

If anything, the money should be put into improving NYC's public transportation infrastructure. You want people to stop driving cars, give them a good reason to. Bike lanes isn't it.
In your opinion, why are bike lanes not a good idea in NYC? Lots of cities all over the US have bike lanes, why don't you think they would work here?

Old 04-09-2022, 11:02 AM

1,446 posts, read 741,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
In your opinion, why are bike lanes not a good idea in NYC? Lots of cities all over the US have bike lanes, why don't you think they would work here?
Most US cities have lackluster public transportation options. NYC is one of the few exceptions.

Before DeBlasio took office only 1% of New Yorkers commuted to work via bike. After Deblasio left that percentage increased to.......3%. I'm not sure of what the percentage is for NYers who use buses or trains but I'm sure its near if not over 50%.

Old 04-09-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
Most US cities have lackluster public transportation options. NYC is one of the few exceptions.

Before DeBlasio took office only 1% of New Yorkers commuted to work via bike. After Deblasio left that percentage increased to.......3%. I'm not sure of what the percentage is for NYers who use buses or trains but I'm sure its near if not over 50%.
What about Amsterdam, that has an extensive public transportation system and promotes bike usage? Why can they encourage both public tranportation & bicycle usage, but you think NYC cannot?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City