Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 12:59 PM

34,189 posts, read 47,607,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Have you tried to think critically? The longer the distance, the less sense it makes to take a (relatively) slow bike. No matter how many bike lanes you have, biking from Coney Island into Midtown is going to be a royal pain in the a. Then add the harsh and unpredictable weather of NYC's continental climate compared to Amsterdam's temperate, mild oceanic climate. So if bikes don't make sense, and cars are effectively banned, the only other option is transit. But that transit happens to suck. That is the NYC situation.

Get it now?
Harsh and unpredictable weather? I think the harsh part is subjective, the unpredictable part is exaggerated. As far as being unpredictable, there may be some days in spring and fall where the temperature can fluctuate greatly (i.e. 70 high 40 low), however, there's plenty off weather outlets to tune into to get this type of information.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 10:03 PM

1,052 posts, read 458,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Harsh and unpredictable weather? I think the harsh part is subjective, the unpredictable part is exaggerated. As far as being unpredictable, there may be some days in spring and fall where the temperature can fluctuate greatly (i.e. 70 high 40 low), however, there's plenty off weather outlets to tune into to get this type of information.
Again, you're the one who brought up Amsterdam. So I am talking relative to Amsterdam... have you been to Amsterdam? It almost never freezes and it almost never gets hot/above 25C. The climate is an oceanic climate characterized by frequent rainfall, low temperature variation and overcast conditions. To some it is miserable but it is, overall, a very mild climate.

Meanwhile in NYC, we have a humid continental climate. That means consistency colder winter temps and the occasional "deep freeze" essentially unheard of in places like Dublin, London and Amsterdam. Likewise, in the summer we get much hotter than anything that would be typical in Amsterdam. What one might call "good biking weather" doesn't exist in NYC for around half the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City