Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 11:54 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times

Advertisements

Sometimes the Belmont Stakes is sort of a ho-hum event on the New York social calender. For most New Yorkers without the racing obsession an organic food festival in Soho is more of a draw than a non-triple crown Belmont. However, with the triple crown on the line and the hyped Big Brown the star attraction, the Belmont hype has shifted into overdrive. You can get a pulse on the hype by checking out eBay. Tickets with a $100 face value are going for up to $600 each. There are dozens of listings for $2 win tickets on Brownie, some marked up to $15.

Perhaps the best listing is a guarantied triple crown from this ebayer (broken link). I love his spirit and how his listing is a gamble on to itself. If Big Brown loses you get your money back on the tickets, talk about a confident listing, only in racing could you see something like this. Not sure how this listing fits into ebays policy but in the spirit of Rick Dutrow, screw ebay policy do it your own way.

The worst listing ranges all the way down to complete rip off (broken link). This guy is selling the unlimited $10 general admissions for $69. Anyone can walk up to the Belmont gates and get in for $10. Belmont is an expansive, beautiful place and the place almost can not sell out. There is no reason to get ripped off and pay some scoundrel $69 for what is $10, caveat emptor.

It is good to see the frenzy for the big day at Belmont, for me there is nothing like a triple crown attempt at Belmont Park it is the most special sporting event in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:28 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
one reason this years race is so popular is that big brown is locally owned, his owners are from LI

Old 05-27-2008, 02:26 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
Now that Big Brown is a maybe, there could be some very disappointed eBay "winners".

I used to enjoy horseracing. Not so much as the casualty rate rises. I know that the best racers have a drive to race, but the breeding that makes them successful also gives them toothpicks for legs. Too much cruelty in this sport.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:38 AM

4 posts, read 10,035 times
looking for some tips on belmont. Flying up from Ga Sat morning, I just Have to See Brown Run. I was lucky enough to be at the derby for Secretariatand haven't seen a horse like that untill Big Brown. Know nothing about belmont lay out. Can I see the race with general admission or should I try for a reserved seat? Booked my flight with miles. don't have a hotel yet, flying back Sun. Trying to determine if I need to get seat, if so which section, on a poor gal budget. Second question, how late does the post celebration last? I've spent $300 for a New Orleans room that we only used for 45 min shower! Would rather spend my limited bucks on actually seeing horses run, but my husband is a bit concerned about me sleeping on a bench! he has never experienced a Triple Crown!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:36 AM

Default Belmont Info

Are you going to Belmont direct from LGA airport? The cheapest way is to take a cab form LGA to 61st and Roosevelt ave to a train station called Woodside. At Woodside take the the Long Island Rail Road to Belmont park. You will have to transfer trains at Jamaica, there will be plenty of announcements, listen for them. Make sure to buy a ticket for the train before you board. Belmont has its own private train station on the grounds. Here is a link the Belmont train schedule. (broken link)

If you do not have a reserved seat the admission is $10 for the grandstand. However I strongly suggest paying the $20 and going to the clubhouse. It is much less crowded and you will have room to walk around and see the horses and the race. The extra $10 it takes to get into the clubhouse stops many people, except for the smart ones. A reserved seat is not a must at the Belmont Stakes. There are plenty of places to experience the excitement of 120,000 cheering the horses as they come down the stretch. There is no sporting event like the Belmont Stakes when the triple crown is on the line.

Belmont is a majestic, beautiful place so you should have plenty of room to walk around. The last train from belmont will leave when they clear out the place sometime around 930pm. They always make sure everyone gets a ride home. If you are flying out of LGA try to get a hotel near LGA and take the train to Woodside then a cab. If you stay in Manhattan just take the train all the way to Penn Station. Hope you have the time of your life.

Regards,

Samyn

Old 06-02-2008, 06:38 PM

4 posts, read 10,035 times
Samyn
Thanks for the info. hate to sound dumb but are there seat or tables in the clubhouse. I have no idea what it entails. Also, I am arriving at 8:30 am. Sounds like the park opens at noon? but somehow that doesn't sound right to me. Any how my question is, should we head straight to or perhaps spend an hour in Manhatten? Once again than you for you info.
Sandi

Old 06-02-2008, 08:56 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Elmont

Belmont Race Track is to the east of New York City, in the Hamlet of Elmont in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County.

For those who may not be familiar with Elmont:

Once called Foster's Meadow, and home to the Belmont Race Track, Elmont is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northwest part of the Town of Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County, along the Nassau/NYC (Queens County) line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Elmont in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Bellerose Terrace, the Village of Floral Park, the Village of South Floral Park and the Village of Stewart Manor; on the east by the Hamlet of Franklin Square; on the south by the Hamlet of North Valley Stream; and, on the west by New York City (the Nassau/Queens County line).

The Hamlet of Elmont has a different border than does the "Elmont, NY 11003" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "Elmont, NY 11003" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Elmont and a place can be in the Hamlet of Elmont and have other than an "Elmont, NY 11003" mailing address): places that have a "Elmont, NY 11003" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Elmont are in the Hamlet of Franklin Square; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Elmont that have a "Valley Stream, NY 11580" mailing address..

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 06-02-2008, 08:59 PM

Default more info

The Park opens at 0830am. You should try to go to Belmont ASAP. More info at the Belmont Stakes Website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngayeha View Post
Samyn
Thanks for the info. hate to sound dumb but are there seat or tables in the clubhouse. I have no idea what it entails. Also, I am arriving at 8:30 am. Sounds like the park opens at noon? but somehow that doesn't sound right to me. Any how my question is, should we head straight to or perhaps spend an hour in Manhatten? Once again than you for you info.
Sandi

Old 06-05-2008, 01:20 PM

70 posts, read 251,714 times
what date is this race? I have never been to a horse race and want to experience it..thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City