Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 12:50 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,325,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
2600 IS cheap for a 2 bedroom in NYC. Compare that to ownership costs in one the city's better neighborhoods. You can't get anything decent for under $800K (mainly coop) and most of the "good" (condo/homes) stock is well over $1MM. I'm currently looking for a 2 bedroom condo in Park Slope/downtown BK area. Anything decent around 1.5MM. The payment alone on a $1MM mortgage is $5K/month. Add another 2-3K/month for HOA/taxes.

Even in "average" neighborhoods in NYC, coops will run you $500K and condos/homes $800K-$1MM. Then add another 30-50% on top for property taxes/maintenance. Renting RS apartments are still very cheap.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a coop with a 10ft pole. I'd rather pay $500K extra than have some senile *******s who bought 40 years ago for peanuts tell me what I can or can't do and embezzle /throw away money. Of course there are great coop boards but I don't feel like playing the lottery.
You don't know what you're talking about. $2600 for a two bedroom is the norm in most good neighborhoods outside of Manhattan and even in areas like Hudson Heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 01:07 PM

106,911 posts, read 109,176,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You don't know what you're talking about. $2600 for a two bedroom is the norm in most good neighborhoods outside of Manhattan and even in areas like Hudson Heights.
Yep that is the going price in most buildings in the area ….

This is in our building

Model 1A
$2,200 – $2,250
1 bed, 1 bath, 575 – 640 sq ft
12 Month Lease, Available Now

Model 1B
$2,300 – $2,350
1 bed, 1 bath, 670 – 778 sq ft

Model 2A
$2,500 – $2,600
2 beds, 1 bath, 825 – 900 sq ft

We have a model 2b which is 2 bed and 2 bath

Pool , tennis and parking are extra

Single family homes in comparison start at 7 figures here while an equal in a coop apartment is about 475k and 1500-1600 a month maintenance

Old 04-16-2022, 04:32 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,269,507 times
Quote:
It's cheap relative to purchasing. "Good" is subjective depending on ones needs.

Old 04-16-2022, 04:35 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,269,507 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Yep that is the going price in most buildings in the area ….

This is in our building

Model 1A
$2,200 – $2,250
1 bed, 1 bath, 575 – 640 sq ft

Model 1B
$2,300 – $2,350
1 bed, 1 bath, 670 – 778 sq ft

Model 2A
$2,500 – $2,600
2 beds, 1 bath, 825 – 900 sq ft

We have a model 2b which is 2 bed and 2 bath

Pool , tennis and parking are extra

Single family homes in comparison start at 7 figures here while an equal in a coop apartment is about 475k and 1500-1600 a month maintenance
I like Bay Terrace (and the Queens areas bordering LI) but they're just too inconvenient for my needs currently.

Old 04-16-2022, 04:56 PM

We drive wherever we need to go and rarely go to manhattan so it is fine for us .

But not having an eastern spur on the LIRR OR A SUBWAY can make it tough for some.

The LIRR TO MANHATTAN can be expensive for someone commuting .

But we like it here ….the restaurants , parks and everything we need is all local to us .

We live opposite the shopping center …

I run the cross island path all the time .

In fact met my wife 22 years ago when I was roller blading at the cross island path and fell when what I thought was the shadow of a tree across the path was actually a chain and someone pulled the waste basket which was chained to the bench in to the path .

She was jogging from the other side so I stopped looking at her , looked down ,saw the chain , tried to jump it and fell …

I got all cut up , she stopped to help and the rest is history

We have no desire to be anywhere else .

If we did relocate it would be to hartsdale in westchester

Old 04-16-2022, 05:29 PM

31,963 posts, read 27,110,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
This I agree on. Nobody should be trucking along in an RS apartment thinking this situation will last forever.
It's been going on for > 70 years in one form or another. Democrats doubled down on things in 2019 and made RS permanent unless, when or if vacancy rate reaches 5%. Until such time there is still a housing "emergency", and Albany will never let go of regulation, period and case closed.

Republicans managed to get vacancy and luxury decontrol passed, and you see how fast once democrats got into majority that vanished.

If anything new RS laws opened up the floor to higher income households to have some skin in game. So now any idea of removing RS even for only upper income tenants just won't fly.

Old 04-16-2022, 06:19 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,325,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
I like Bay Terrace (and the Queens areas bordering LI) but they're just too inconvenient for my needs currently.
I live in a similar area. Totally fine with the express bus from Bay Terrace and the railroad into Manhattan.

It can be tricky if you don't have a car there, but most people drive. For those who don't, there are the City buses to get around too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We drive wherever we need to go and rarely go to manhattan so it is fine for us .

But not having an eastern spur on the LIRR OR A SUBWAY can make it tough for some.

The LIRR TO MANHATTAN can be expensive for someone commuting .

But we like it here ….the restaurants , parks and everything we need is all local to us .

We live opposite the shopping center …

I run the cross island path all the time .

In fact met my wife 22 years ago when I was roller blading at the cross island path and fell when what I thought was the shadow of a tree across the path was actually a chain and someone pulled the waste basket which was chained to the bench in to the path .

She was jogging from the other side so I stopped looking at her , looked down ,saw the chain , tried to jump it and fell …

I got all cut up , she stopped to help and the rest is history

We have no desire to be anywhere else .

If we did relocate it would be to hartsdale in westchester
Bay Terrace is nice. Several co-ops there that I'm familiar with. Housing stock is not as appealing though. I prefer Little Neck and Douglaston for that reason.

Old 04-18-2022, 05:24 AM

31,963 posts, read 27,110,316 times
Here we go.....

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sed-rent-hikes

Old 04-18-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I live in a similar area. Totally fine with the express bus from Bay Terrace and the railroad into Manhattan.

It can be tricky if you don't have a car there, but most people drive. For those who don't, there are the City buses to get around too.

Bay Terrace is nice. Several co-ops there that I'm familiar with. Housing stock is not as appealing though. I prefer Little Neck and Douglaston for that reason.
My drum studio is in little neck. Lots of good places to eat .

I really like the new one sweet wonton .

When my wife baby sits I go across the street to moo shoo duck and get half a duck .

Those hanging ducks are sooooo good ….also mommas touch has fantastic fried chicken sandwiches..

You can see I spend a lot of time in little neck

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-18-2022 at 10:29 AM..

Old 04-19-2022, 11:53 AM

6,695 posts, read 6,057,015 times
Quote:
What's silly is you assuming that someone living in a rent stabilized apartment is poor and unable to afford high rents. Plenty of people with incomes over $100,000 live in apartments that aren't market rate. My ex lives in such housing and makes well over $100,000 a year. If you win a housing lottery, there are different ranges. Her rent was $2,100 a month a few years ago.
I'm in the same position your ex is in. I used to pay only 1300 for a one bedroom 700 sqft apartment. But I lived in that apartment for a very long time as I didn't want to spend all of my disposable income on rent.

The people making over six figures who complain about a rent stabilized increase do so because they are saddled with student loan and other debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City