Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:49 AM

317 posts, read 1,144,127 times

Advertisements

You might not be looking hard enough. I'm white (half white, anyway - you'd probably think I was if you saw me) and my first job was at Duane Reade, right after I got out of high school. There was another white guy at my store. I was briefly transferred to a store in Kingsbridge/Fordham, and there was even a white guy there. There are just not as many as you're probably used to, because of the population ratio in the city. But regardless of race, everyone spoke English.

After that, I worked in a bunch of different restaurants for a while, and there were some people in most of them who didn't speak much English. But this shouldn't make you uncomfortable - the vast majority of people are not out to make you feel out place. Why would they be? Most people are welcoming. Over several years and numerous restaurants, only one person ever tried to make me uncomfortable about race - and he backed off pretty fast.

Also - there was at least one other white person at every restaurant I worked at (not including management - usually a cook or waiter/waitress), and I worked all over the place.

Last edited by Minus; 05-22-2008 at 09:51 AM..

Old 05-22-2008, 09:00 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Scowls and acting inconvenienced? Sounds like you are shopping and eating at the wrong places.
Yes, I do shop in the wrong place: Manhattan.

I'd take a smiling, middle-class 16 year-old cashier from Bumble****, Oklahoma who says, "Good morning! Did you find everything ok? Is there anything else I can help you with? Have a great day!" over a Manhattan ghetto cashier with a scowl on their face who averts eye contact, and utters nary a word.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
Yes, I do shop in the wrong place: Manhattan.

I'd take a smiling, middle-class 16 year-old cashier from Bumble****, Oklahoma who says, "Good morning! Did you find everything ok? Is there anything else I can help you with? Have a great day!" over a Manhattan ghetto cashier with a scowl on their face who averts eye contact, and utters nary a word.
I think you're just being pretentious.. most of the places I shop, which are spread all over Manhattan, the employees act exactly how you said you wanted them to act.. Of course, there's always the disgruntled employee somewhere, but I really don't this all that often.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
Ace Rock...there is no doubt that element exists..however it is not unique to the city, nor is it everywhere you shop. Everyone has a bad day....and if you were working with the public in NYC on a daily basis...how long do you think your "Good morning! Did you find everything ok? Is there anything else I can help you with? Have a great day!" is gonna hold out? A month? A week?

Despite it the occasional poor attitude that one should expect at these sorts of jobs, ...I typically receive good service all around...and I live in Mott Haven mind you. Of course...if you walk in with that attitude and expecting the negativity from cashiers or whomever....you are guaranteed to receive it...and a doggy bag to take some home with you too.

You clearly have never been to Bumble****, OK either...cuz you are not getting that response from the kids there....in case you didn't know that area is crystal meth central. Would you like to make that a McCrystalmeth meal sir?

Old 05-22-2008, 09:49 AM

38 posts, read 124,328 times
LOL the NY register scene vs. suburban -- give me NY anytime -- if i want a freaking conversation over a box of tampons i'll call a friend.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:44 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklyn9157 View Post
LOL the NY register scene vs. suburban -- give me NY anytime -- if i want a freaking conversation over a box of tampons i'll call a friend.
No, it's called common courtesy.

The next time some kid snatches your purse, with your tampons in them, and knocks you to the ground, you can phone your friend while people with your attitude step over you.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:55 AM

Ace Rock..sounds like your bitterness will be better suited in middle America...isn't that where bitter people cling t guns and religion after all? I think you should take a break from city life and enjoy all the wonders and splendors of Bumble****, Oklahoma.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:22 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
Um......did someone on here say that?

Old 05-22-2008, 11:22 AM

BX...that was totally uncalled for and has nothing to do with the thread...nor isanyone asserting one job is any race. The poster gave his perspective, and Ace was just being a typical NYC local..always complaining about something or other.

Take a deep breath..and chill...lest they will close this thread!

Old 05-22-2008, 11:30 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Regarding your specific question, if you go into predominantly white neighborhoods like Riverdale, Brooklyn Heights, Bayridge...you will see white people doing those types of jobs. However, the city is majority people of color..and a significant bulk of that population is poor/immigrant...so they are the ones applying in huge numbers for those types of jobs. However, there are significant numbers of college students, white and otherwise, that pretty much have the market cornered in retail of all kinds, and waiting tables at every level of eating establishment.

As someone from the midwest, your vision is blinded by the large number of people of color whom you are not used to seeing, so they stand out far more than you realize. If you take the time and look around at the bigger picture, you will clearly see where all the college students, white and otherwise, are working. If you still cannot see them/find them, I will be happy to list establishments for you to visit..and if that still does not work, I will personally take you to each business, introduce you to the white college students working there, and we can continue the process until you understand and rethink your views.

In addition, why, as a business owner, would I choose to hire a college student who may or may not show up to work tomorrow, or next month, or be graduating shortly, when I can get a local NYC resident, an adult, with kids and/or responsibilities, that will take the job seriously, be relatively happy to work and earn the low salary, not complain much, and have a much better chance of being at the job for a far longer time frame?

The choice is clear to me why people of color are the premier choice for these low paying jobs. As a college student..I would think it would be as clear to you as well.
Sure sounds like a racist comment to me. You trash others for their comments, but yours are one step from being over the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City