Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 11:59 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Yep if you are spending for a vacation, just eat the ticket. Still cheaper than airport parking.

Like the tourist families with 8 suitcases on the E to the airtrain, spring for the cab.

Exactly!!! and I have never parked in an airport, the thought of it stresses me out and that's not the way I'm going to start a vacation.

Just driving and dropping someone off at an airport gives me anxiety.
I take car service, Uber to the airport, and leave my car on a 2 way Avenue, and like you stated, eat the ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 01:17 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,150,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
Remember living in Brooklyn years ago. ASP was four days a week, 10 AM till 2 PM...M and Th, T and Fri.
Even then, sweepers often only cleaned once a week each side. Now ASP is once a week each side, 11 AM till 1:30 PM.

I lived in Brooklyn until 1990, near 18th Avenue & Ocean Parkway. Our little residential 1-way street had 11am to 2pm 4-days/week (Mon/Thurs & Tues/Fri) ASP until 1980, reduced to 11am to 2pm 2-days/week (Mon & Tues) ASP after that.

Ocean Parkway service roads had a convoluted 5-days/week 8am to 6pm ASP schedule until 1980, but a normal 4-days/week 11am to 2pm schedule after that.

Also up until around 1980 there were sections of the city with 6-days/week ASP. That must have been a huge PITA for those affected.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:47 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Put cameras on the sweepers. Issue photo tickets to cars that won't move.
Too simple and logical for the govt

It's the same with hydrant tickets

I'm fine with keeping them clear if it's about safety

But if it's about safety

1)paint the curb 15 feet in both directions
2)make the ticket agent actually measure how far away you are

A guess is completely unacceptable and a pure money grab

Old 07-20-2022, 11:48 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Yep if you are spending for a vacation, just eat the ticket. Still cheaper than airport parking.

Like the tourist families with 8 suitcases on the E to the airtrain, spring for the cab.
It's really weird when it's a bunch of people
What are you even saving at that point

Old 07-21-2022, 07:27 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Everything being said, chances are still pretty good not moving your ride will result in no negative consequences.

Yet again this morning nearly three-quarters of vehicles were parked, did not move, and owners were no where in sight. Neither for that matter were parking enforcement agents, as one sat out there feeling like an eegjit for bothering.

Even before pandemic many of those PE agents seemed more concerned with swaggering about with gear hanging off their hips as if they were police.

Old 07-22-2022, 05:06 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Everything being said, chances are still pretty good not moving your ride will result in no negative consequences.

Yet again this morning nearly three-quarters of vehicles were parked, did not move, and owners were no where in sight. Neither for that matter were parking enforcement agents, as one sat out there feeling like an eegjit for bothering.

Even before pandemic many of those PE agents seemed more concerned with swaggering about with gear hanging off their hips as if they were police.
In my area I see enforcement agents even on days with no ASP in effect. I know someone that forgot to move his car once before the pandemic that got 2 tickets from 2 different agents in the hour & half when the car should have been moved.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:36 AM

It's getting hot out there...

https://nypost.com/2022/07/22/local-...ermit-parking/

Too many drivers, not enough spots. This is not going to end well, that I promise you. It's too GD hot out there for this sort of nonsense.

Old 07-23-2022, 03:13 PM

15,840 posts, read 14,472,390 times
I see a lot of tickets being given out, or at least having been given out. If I see a car on the wrong side at the end of the alternated side window. If someone isn't in the car, it usually has gotten a ticket.

Quote:

Old 07-23-2022, 03:15 PM

15,840 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Get rid of the City Bike racks. Get rid of the in street dining corrals. Go back to two day a week street cleaning.

Quote:
It's getting hot out there...

https://nypost.com/2022/07/22/local-...ermit-parking/

Too many drivers, not enough spots. This is not going to end well, that I promise you. It's too GD hot out there for this sort of nonsense.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:57 PM

One good thing about ASP returning in force is get to watch eejits who cannot parallel park to save their lives embarrass themselves. This is especially true of transplants who just don't have an effing clue as to what they are doing.

Sweeper truck comes down street, guy is leaning on his horn and won't let parked rides remain, so people have to bust a move. We've all done this and can easily maneuver out and back, or find another space. Then comes the fun...

Watched this female Tuesday morning try to park a sport cute in a space you could fit a 1975 Caddy Eldorado with ease and room to spare.

Several attempts to back into space, each time failed so have to pull out and start over. Finally get into space but ride is crooked (front or rear sticking out), so it's "back, forward, back, forward, back, forward".. Each GD time the effing ride still isn't straight. Again this space is *HUGE* compared to size of vehicle.

Five, six, seven or more minutes later she's finally finished, meanwhile has traffic backed up entire street. Oh and by "finished" mean ride is still parked crooked and about a foot or more from curb.

Walking around city nowadays you see many rides parked same way; crooked and or about a foot or more away from curb.

Just don't understand what is so effing difficult about parallel parking. Growing up on SI never heard of the thing because (at least back then) you rarely had to bother.

Personally love to sit back and watch the show. Soon as said driver becomes frustrated and pulls away, am in like Flynn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City