Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 09:00 AM

5 posts, read 5,913 times

Advertisements

We are beginning treatment at Sloan Kettering. We will be driving from a few hours west. What do you suggest is a good spot to park and ride into the city? I believe the address we will be at most is 1275 York Ave.

Ideally looking for a place to park outside the city that we don't have to worry about showing up and not having spaces available. And a somewhat direct way to get into the city from there. Not changing trains a dozen times since we are not familiar with the subway system yet.

Does this place exist? It doesn't matter where exactly. Preferably west of Manhattan but any place that is easy to access, convenient to park and take public transportation in will do.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 09:52 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
Care to tell us where you're coming from? It might be better to take public transportation from your city to either Port Authority Bus Terminal or Penn Station the night before your appointment, stay at a hotel and then taxi or uber over for your appointment the next day. Driving in NYC can be treacherous with the crazy drivers and the one way streets and you must navigate across the breadth of Manhattan to get to your appointment.

Or drive to New Jersey, stay and park at a hotel off the interstate or the NJT and then uber over to your appointment.

There are plenty of public parking garages in Hoboken and Jersey City where you can take the PATH train into midtown. Not cheap though.

Old 05-22-2022, 11:39 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,763,919 times
The hospital is on the Upper East Side, so coming from the West there is no simple direct way get there from Port Authority or Penn Station. Grand Central is a bit easier, but all the westernmost MetroNorth stations like Port Jervis NY and Mahwah NJ (all on the same line) may be out of your way, have difficult parking situations, or run on commuter schedules that don’t work for you. But from Grand Central it’s a quick cab,subway, or bus to Sloan.

I think getting a Jersey/City Hoboken park is best, then PATH ride to Penn Station, then a cab/Uber to Sloan. FWIW, I was treated there over 20 years ago and…I’m still here! Hope it goes as well for you as it did for me.

Old 05-22-2022, 11:45 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,249,505 times
Spent too much time at the place.
Use spot hero.
You can get a lot for under $20 which will be cheaper and easier than any other method.

Old 05-22-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The hospital is on the Upper East Side, so coming from the West there is no simple direct way get there from Port Authority or Penn Station. Grand Central is a bit easier, but all the westernmost MetroNorth stations like Port Jervis NY and Mahwah NJ (all on the same line) may be out of your way, have difficult parking situations, or run on commuter schedules that don’t work for you. But from Grand Central it’s a quick cab,subway, or bus to Sloan.

I think getting a Jersey/City Hoboken park is best, then PATH ride to Penn Station, then a cab/Uber to Sloan. FWIW, I was treated there over 20 years ago and…I’m still here! Hope it goes as well for you as it did for me.
Parking at the path may be just as expensive and a whole lot more effort - and walking.

Old 05-22-2022, 12:06 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
Getting from the west (NJ) to the east side of Manhattan has it's issue. Probably the best thing to do would be to park near a PATH station in NJ, take the patch to the 33rd street station, then get the Q-Train to either 63rd or 72nd street. Memorial is not a bad walk from there.

Old 05-22-2022, 12:19 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,149,719 times
Contact Sloan-Kettering, they may have an arrangement with a local parking garage.

Old 05-22-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Contact Sloan-Kettering, they may have an arrangement with a local parking garage.
They have a garage on site.
fyi, any costs - including travel - associated with medical treatment are tax deductible if you meet the threshold.

Old 05-22-2022, 01:54 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticwaves View Post
We are beginning treatment at Sloan Kettering.
However you get to SK, I hope the treatment is successful.

Old 05-22-2022, 02:11 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,745,599 times
ICON has advance parking lots all over Manhattan, check out their web-site. You can always jump in an Uber, taxi, on a bus, subway, etc. from the lot if it's too far from SK. It might be less trouble to do this than what you are thinking of doing. BTW, I visited a patient at SK very often in 2018 and never had trouble getting in their lot, but I don't know if things have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City