Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 PM

127 posts, read 547,968 times

Advertisements

I guess it all depends on what part of the Bronx she is from. It may be easier for her to go shopping and hang out in the Bronx or in Westchester like someone posted earlier. For me it was easier to go shopping and hang out with friends in midtown. I did the regular museum and broadway shows when I was in high school, but only when I went to college in Manhattan and work there did I begin to really learn the streets. Now my family and I prefer to go shopping in Paramus, NJ. It's more comfortable than taking the subway, we don't have to deal with crowded streets and there is parking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 02:18 PM

18 posts, read 67,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxchick View Post
In my opinion it is all in how you are raised when I was growing up my family took frequent trips outside of New York and I had a chance to meet all kinds of people and to see that there was a world outside of the Bronx but I have many friends whose parents never took them anywhere growing up and because of that they have never left the bronx because that is all they know and that includes going to Manhattan or any other borough they feel out of their element when you grow up in an area like the Bronx and you are used to certain type of people and environment and have never been exposed to anything else you can feel very uncomfortable outside of that and therefore you never leave.
Clocking in at 135 words, that is one impressive sentence! (just teasing :P)

Old 05-29-2008, 02:56 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,011 times
Would you have been as shocked if she was from Manhattan and had never been to the Bronx?

Of course not because Manhattan is the absolute center of the universe and WHO would dare to not be interested in the "CITY".

There are plenty of perfectly good reasons why that girl doesn't know much about Manhattan.

I'm from the Bronx and I know the city like the back of my hand. However, since I no longer work a corporate job and my youthful party days are over I have almost zero reason to into the "city"

I will go for a concert or a show if I feel like it and forget the museums I've been to all of them numerous times. Unless there is a special exhibit I feel no need to be bothered.

Everyone isn't the same. For some people Manhattan is this wonderful place and for some of us it's just a place.

Personally, I like the comfort of my car and shopping in Westchester county as opposed to fighting crowds and riding the smelly subway. Manhattan shopping isn't really that great for the middle class person anyway. Unless you have a lot of money to shop at the most trendy places you are getting the same strip mall crap that you can get anywhere else these days.

All life and culture does NOT flow from Manhattan.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:26 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
its all about your purpose....if i can get everything in my community without going to manhattan then i wouldnt go to manhattan as much. i work in manhattan so i'm in the city every day. but i can't even remember the last time i was in manhattan on a saturday.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-07-2008, 08:57 AM

13 posts, read 55,964 times
It was a long time since I lived in NYC...but until 6 years ago my Mom still resided in the Bronx and she at 90 would get on the express bus to go to the theatre, out to dinner with friends or to the Museums? Yes, we did see other ballet at the NYCB...I was just saying...Plus class trips to the Met for the Opera. Didn't say I cut school to hang in village...it was after or on the weekends. I think it is sad not to know Manhattan...
garment district for great buys on cloths, the jewlery district, the flower district, etc???
I too have a son... my favorite of his Girl friends is the one who is very international and not do insular...kinda scary!!!

Old 06-07-2008, 04:23 PM

178 posts, read 667,490 times
I think a lot depends on the parents. More educated worldly people will have more interest and activity in Manhattan.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:49 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevrltr View Post
I think a lot depends on the parents. More educated worldly people will have more interest and activity in Manhattan.
Did you really make a post without pushing Westchester real estate?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I'm a native-born Brooklynite, and I can relate to all this. Manhattan is one of New York's five boroughs. It's as special--or not--as you make it. (I myself am unapologetically biased in favor of Brooklyn).

Old 06-15-2008, 09:51 PM

68 posts, read 203,545 times
The reality is that few New Yorkers know boroughs other than their own. It's the rare Manhattanite who knows the Bronx. (How many even know nearby neighborhoods?) Many pride themselves on associating only with folks from the same few streets! Give the girl a bit of credit.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:21 AM

655 posts, read 1,992,370 times
I've often that to be the case. I know most of my area in Northeast Queens, but there are parts that i know little off. I know the Bronx in terms of the few blocks around Yankee Stadium, anything else I know of only from maps and reading about. I know very little of Brooklyn, maybe just the area near the LIRR station on Atlantic Avenue where some friends live around.

I know a lot of midtown Manhattan and Chelsea since i'm in those areas a lot for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City