U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 12:42 PM

1,341 posts, read 683,426 times

Advertisements

Can't cut through the park cause it's crazy after dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 12:52 PM

7,311 posts, read 3,706,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troms View Post
Nice, I'll just stay away from the UWS and seek out safer areas.

No, you don't have to stay away from the UWS - there aren't really safer areas in NYC. The area is fine, W 100th St is just about the northern border of safety even after dark - just don't go into the park at night, ANY park in the city, not specifically Riverside Drive. And don't wander too far north of W 100th St after dark either. If you are associated with Columbia, I suppose you can't avoid it, but be careful.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
Can't cut through the park cause it's crazy after dark.
New York... lookin down on Central Park where they say you should not wander after dark (Art Garfunkel, 1981). Still accurate, for any NYC park.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:22 PM

1,341 posts, read 683,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
New York... lookin down on Central Park where they say you should not wander after dark (Art Garfunkel, 1981). Still accurate, for any NYC park.
I've been walkin' Central Park, shufflin' after dark, people think I'm...crazeee.

Stones -- Miss You

Old 06-16-2022, 05:15 PM

12,642 posts, read 7,740,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That's an exaggerated statement to say ANY park in NYC after dark is not safe. I guess you don't go outside at all at night anymore then, because it's stupid to walk the streets after dark too.
It's not exaggerated, given that most parks are not well lit and there are not many people around. How many people have been robbed, attacked, etc. over the years walking in the park?

Then again, you also think that crime isn't a problem, so it's futile trying to talk common sense into you.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
I've been walkin' Central Park, shufflin' after dark, people think I'm...crazeee.

Stones -- Miss You
Not sure what happened with the post I just posted... anyway, this might end up being a duplicate of it. Mick used to own a townhouse on W 81st St, close to West End Ave. It is a light grayish (can't remember if it is light gray brick or limestone) house with bow front (there is a number of similar houses in the area, by the same architect, from the late 1890s/early 1900s). The house is sort of leaning on the big modern building of Calhoun School, and the school owns the house now. If he shuffled at the edge of the Park across from Museum of Natural History, it would have probably been okay, because that area is intensely well lit.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:46 PM

587 posts, read 448,423 times
Riverside Park is very safe during the day. I'd avoid it at night at this point--it can be desolate and there aren't a lot of police patrols. A couple years ago, some teens tried to jump me when I was running there at night. They were hanging out by a section where the lights were out and 4 or 5 of them took me by surprise, grabbing my shoulder, and chasing me. Fortunately I was in good running shape, so I was able to outpace them, and they gave up after a minute or two. The entire situation left me shaken.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:06 AM

5 posts, read 2,969 times
I live in the 150's and walk Riverbank all the time. There are more shanty towns below 125th along the Hudson waterline street but in my experience, these folks are just shacking up by the river and haven't ever made me feel unsafe. I'm a woman, would say I walk these parks late night to twilight hours several times a week on my own or with a friend. Since it's summer, there are plenty of family and friend gatherings that keep park populated well past dark too. In winter, few people walk due to the cold and so possibility of crime is always lowest.

#1 danger to me are drunken/brazen ebikers. There is a disgusting amount of electric bikers who roll through paths there and I have occasionally dealt with very drunk ebikers who are mouthy in Spanish (which I don't speak). I know ebikers have mug people along Riverbank but if you're on alert as you would anywhere else at night (lol and day) and you'll be fine. The more of us normal folks out at night, the greater a city that New York is!

Old 06-17-2022, 10:33 PM

5,431 posts, read 8,431,719 times
The UWS is a great neighborhood. Frankly, I don’t think you can do much better in the entire city. So if you have a good affordable place there, jump on it quick. If you are going for a walk in Riverside Park, stick to the paths right on the river, which are wide and well-lit, or on the sidewalk above the park. You should be OK if you use your street smarts and stay aware of who’s around you. There’s no guarantees, and I can’t vouch for what it’s like at late night. I’m home by then or out elsewhere. But I’ve been on the Upper West Side for years and I wouldn’t pass it up because of this concern. It’s a wonderful neighborhood. Move here and figure out the park thing later.

Welcome to New York!

Old 06-18-2022, 07:08 AM

25,287 posts, read 36,087,372 times
No park is safe after dark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City