Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 03:37 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
My uncle gave me my first computer and a printer to print my homework assignments on, etc. since he didn't need them and my mother made sure I had internet and paid for any of the advanced placement exams I wanted to take and they were not cheap. I think each test was a good $75 then or thereabouts.
If you are poor enough, you can have that waived. I know I applied for it when I took AP exams and did not pay.

Old 06-19-2022, 04:18 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Assuming you are speaking of parts of BK?

I mostly agree with you in the sense that white gentrifiers are woke when it suites their needs. They love diversity and inclusion but not in the neighborhoods that they live in or the schools that they send their kids too.

On the other hand, the DOE consists of schools that are mostly black/Hispanic and very, very few of these schools are academically outstanding. Academically outstanding doesn't equal bad in terms of student behavior or quality of teachers. There are plenty of majority black/Hispanic schools that are good in every sense apart from academics.

The simple fact is that most of these white gentrifiers pay lots of money for real estate/rentals and want schools similar to district 2. They're preparing their kids for Harvard, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, etc. Whereas many Black and Hispanic families would simply be happy if their kids made it to college. It's a completely different approach to education and the stakes are high in the US. It's their children's future at stake.

The DOE consists of approximately 31% Asian and White students.

2021-22 NYCDOE Racial Breadown:

School Year || 2021-22
% Hispanic || 41.07%
% Black || 24.41%
% Asian || 16.56%
% White || 14.67%

(Approx 31.23% Asian + White)
(Approx 65.47 Black + Hispanic)

There aren't enough white and asian kids to shuffle around the school system.

NYCDOE demographics:
https://infohub.nyced.org/reports/sc...p-to-heading-2

Old 06-19-2022, 05:23 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
If you are poor enough, you can have that waived. I know I applied for it when I took AP exams and did not pay.
Well we were middle class (actually upper middle class), so no chance of getting anything waived. lol I took the AP English exam. Tough... There was also an AP Government one that I didn't even bother with. Hated that class and still managed to get an 80. Teacher graded hard and made the exams super difficult. Still managed to pull in a A- overall, even with that grade and graduated with honors. Looking back on it, the college credit would've been nice, but wasn't a big deal, as I found the intro college courses still made me a better writer overall.

Old 06-19-2022, 08:29 PM

978 posts, read 675,085 times
Quote:
It actually doesn't. A number of kids in the school system don't have access to internet at home. This is a well known fact that the
Wait what? Covid? At home learning for all public school students? No? This is untrue?

Old 06-23-2022, 04:31 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
New York NBA teams should be given the very same expectations.

Watch how quickly a team of losers fails, just like these schools.

Touche! .....................NBA...... White,Asian,Spanish, 5 foot something athletes................hahahaha..................

Old 06-23-2022, 06:35 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Quote:
I won't get into this side of it. What I will say is that White and Asian students generally have an advantage over Hispanic and Black children in general when it comes to education. If a White or Asian child is struggling in school, most of the parents can afford to pay for expensive private tutors. For Hispanic or Black parents, some of them can as well, but not as many and if we are talking about specialized schools, those private tutors are even more expensive.

That said, I don't think we should be dulling down the requirements. The City can focus on providing more tutoring options for ALL students. What we need is MORE enrichment, MORE quality education, etc., not less. The parents should be angry.

Thats BS. I grew up as a poor asian kid in Bklyn and then Queens. My parents didn't spend a single dime on tutors for me. My "tutor" was an ass beating if I didn't ace the test.

The White/asian advantage is that those parents generally give a rat's ass about their kids education instead of getting them the latest Air Jordans.

Old 06-23-2022, 06:39 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Thats BS. I grew up as a poor asian kid in Bklyn and then Queens. My parents didn't spend a single dime on tutors for me. My "tutor" was an ass beating if I didn't ace the test.
There's an entire narrative that's been built around immigrant kids who do well in a school that's simply a lie. They only do well because they get this, that, and the other.

The truth is a lot of parents in NYC set absolutely zero expectations for there kids in school and are too lazy to help them study/provide the motivation.

My motivation was the same as yours. The wrath of my father.

Old 06-23-2022, 06:56 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
I won't get into this side of it. What I will say is that White and Asian students generally have an advantage over Hispanic and Black children in general when it comes to education. If a White or Asian child is struggling in school, most of the parents can afford to pay for expensive private tutors. For Hispanic or Black parents, some of them can as well, but not as many and if we are talking about specialized schools, those private tutors are even more expensive.

That said, I don't think we should be dulling down the requirements. The City can focus on providing more tutoring options for ALL students. What we need is MORE enrichment, MORE quality education, etc., not less. The parents should be angry.
Great points and an example of this is when it was suggested to the Buffalo Public Schools to create another City Honors(similar to a Stuyvesant, Brooklyn Tech, Bronx Science, etc.), when it’s demographics shifted. They did create Olmsted, which is a newer and highly regarded school that is pluralistically more black(about 50% of students in the district are)/diverse: https://data.nysed.gov/enrollment.ph...d=800000052936
https://data.nysed.gov/gradrate.php?...d=800000052936

You also have urban high schools up here that at least offer an IB program that can attract students that want a more rigorous academic program. So, perhaps that is what the school district should be looking into, in order to keep standards high. I think when students are challenged, they will step up when the proper support is there.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:28 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Frankly, I never understood why normal people in the US even had kids if they could not send them to private schools (the major reason why I myself decided against having kids). With a small % of exceptions, public education in K-12 does not seem to exist in the US - it seems to me these public "schools" function just as places for kids to hang out somewhere during the day, not for any education. I have had a tenant in the Bronx who completed these public schools plus even some community college, and she was essentially illiterate, her e-mail messages seemed like something a 7-year old would write who has just learned how to read & write... but her educational level was officially "some college"!

Old 06-23-2022, 08:15 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,219,565 times
Feed them breakfast, feed them lunch, fill their heads with gender theory, and promote them to the next grade.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: