Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 10:32 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,624,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
So many things we do on a daily basis in New York are "dangerous", yet we do them because people (minus a few whiney old-heads) enjoy them. I consider New York lucky that people like you don't get to set policy on such things. Also, being a native New Yorker doesn't give you any more credibility on whether outdoor dining structures should be allowed.

I don't care, my opinion is that we never had them before covid,

they were put because of covid,

covid is fizzing out,

and I think these eyesores all around the city need to be removed.

ofcourse I have eaten in them, eating outside is always nice, but the sidewalk eating is really safer then in the actual gutter.
Some of the sheds are fixed better than others, but they really do snarl up traffic, and I think they need to say goodbye already, they served thier purpose for what they were intended for, time to go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 02:28 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
[/u][/b]

I don't care, my opinion is that we never had them before covid,

they were put because of covid,

covid is fizzing out,

and I think these eyesores all around the city need to be removed.

ofcourse I have eaten in them, eating outside is always nice, but the sidewalk eating is really safer then in the actual gutter.
Some of the sheds are fixed better than others, but they really do snarl up traffic, and I think they need to say goodbye already, they served thier purpose for what they were intended for, time to go
Again, thankfully your opinion is in the minority.

Old 06-24-2022, 04:16 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,236,669 times
They made perfect sense in 2020 (although it made no sense we had no indoor dining until Feb 2021) but shoukd have been torn down long ago

Old 06-24-2022, 04:33 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,236,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
So many things we do on a daily basis in New York are "dangerous", yet we do them because people (minus a few whiney old-heads) enjoy them. I consider New York lucky that people like you don't get to set policy on such things. Also, being a native New Yorker doesn't give you any more credibility on whether outdoor dining structures should be allowed.
My issue isn't even with the ones actually being used for dining so much as the fact so many of them aren't and are just taking up space,rotting away,filled with homeless etc

Old 06-24-2022, 05:01 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
My issue isn't even with the ones actually being used for dining so much as the fact so many of them aren't and are just taking up space,rotting away,filled with homeless etc

exactly, there are so many of them "vacant" here in Brooklyn, thus wasting away to complete rubbish.
no need for them.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Are restaurateurs taxed on these structures?

Old 06-27-2022, 03:57 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Can't speak for the boroughs, but in Manhattan I see the vast majority of them being used when the weather is nice.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Forget parking, what about the funneling of traffic into narrower and narrower streams in order to accommodate usually empty expansions of restaurant space. Traffic must become much slower and/or more dangerous.

And these shacks are empty most of the day. It was INSANE of the city to legalize this
"TAKING" to put into a word you "conservatives" might take to heart.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:39 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,032,537 times
When I went to Washington DC last month I was struck by how much nicer their outdoor dining setups were than here - seems like there's already more front patio spaces down there but even those who didn't have a patio set theirs up very nicely with umbrellas for shade and it didn't look like a shack.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:43 AM

2,614 posts, read 1,211,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
I was struck by how much nicer their...
Every time I visit another city, I find myself saying this about something that I saw there compared to NYC lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: