Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 11:08 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times

Advertisements

Ask your neighbors if their cameras caught it. Someone has to have a camera on the block.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 11:14 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Sorry if I am misunderstanding....but I am failing to comprehend what the "minor incident" was? He was walking his dog....and walked by your house, specifically crossing over in front of your neighbor's house to pass on your sidewalk while you were trimming your hedges? Was there any actual exchange than sharing sidewalk space and it seeming weird? Not really seeing any kind of motivation here for someone to key your car, especially in the way you've described....did you have words that you just did not include in your story?

Old 06-24-2022, 11:16 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
You need at least one security camera.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:45 AM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Sorry if I am misunderstanding....but I am failing to comprehend what the "minor incident" was? He was walking his dog....and walked by your house, specifically crossing over in front of your neighbor's house to pass on your sidewalk while you were trimming your hedges? Was there any actual exchange than sharing sidewalk space and it seeming weird? Not really seeing any kind of motivation here for someone to key your car, especially in the way you've described....did you have words that you just did not include in your story?
No words. He attempted to squeeze by me while I was using the hedge trimmer and I turned it off when I saw the idiot was actually going past me. He put himself at risk had I not seen him and swung the hedge trimmer a few inches away from the hedge. I looked at him like what the hell are you doing and he kept walking and looking straight ahead but he looked weird, nervous and angry. He must have mental issues. I watch for people walking down the block and let them pass but I don’t expect someone will cross the street one house away and walk past me while the whole time I am using the hedge trimmer. After passing me he went a few houses down and then he crossed the street again back to the other side. I guess he felt like he had a right to walk anywhere on the sidewalk at any time and he wanted to prove it.

After I followed him back to his house and found out where he lives and the car he drives, I haven’t seen him on my block since. If he doesn’t come back here to walk his dog anymore that will be enough for me. I hope he did see me when I walked by his house. It’s easy to do something like key a car if his target doesn’t know where he lives. But I do know.

Old 06-24-2022, 01:17 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Quote cut out
No assumptions, just facts and there always seemed to be something “off” about the guy to me. His home is an eyesore with overgrown plants in the sidewalk dirt area and throughout his front and back yards. They are not weeds per se but some kind of tall plants that stand 1-2 feet tall where grass should be. He must have mental problems if he felt he had to damage my car because of a look I gave him. If I saw someone cutting or edging the lawn by the sidewalk or trimming hedges or doing some other yard work with power tools, I wouldn’t decide that was a great place to cross the street and walk in front of with hedge trimmings all over the ground. He did. He then walked past me and crossed back to the other side of the street. He was trying to bother me for some reason.
Tile of the post:
"I think a dog walker keyed my car"

Quote from the post:
"I didn’t see him do it but I can’t think of anyone else who would have done it."

This is by definition an assumption.

Old 06-24-2022, 01:27 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Let it go. Do not escalate. Most especially based on a hunch without any proof.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Let it go. Do not escalate. Most especially based on a hunch without any proof.
If he returned to my block walking his dog I was going to ask him if he scratched my car. I wouldn’t accuse him and if he didn’t do it he would probably act confused. If he got all defensive then that would give him away. Either way nothing much I could do about it. Surveillance video probably wouldn’t prove anything because when he walks his dog he frequently stops on the sidewalk, near cars, wherever the dog decides to stop. If he stopped behind my car I doubt it would prove anything. Even if it did the cops wouldn’t care.

It is just frustrating especially if I have to see him multiple times a day on my block walking around carefree. I hope he just stays away.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Tile of the post:
"I think a dog walker keyed my car"

Quote from the post:
"I didn’t see him do it but I can’t think of anyone else who would have done it."

This is by definition an assumption.
Not sure why the quote was cut out about it being an assumption so I can’t check the wording of the comment I was responding to. People do get convicted based on circumstantial evidence which doesn’t involve direct observation.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:44 PM

1,056 posts, read 541,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
If he returned to my block walking his dog I was going to ask him if he scratched my car. I wouldn’t accuse him and if he didn’t do it he would probably act confused. If he got all defensive then that would give him away. Either way nothing much I could do about it. Surveillance video probably wouldn’t prove anything because when he walks his dog he frequently stops on the sidewalk, near cars, wherever the dog decides to stop. If he stopped behind my car I doubt it would prove anything. Even if it did the cops wouldn’t care.

It is just frustrating especially if I have to see him multiple times a day on my block walking around carefree. I hope he just stays away.
You're starting to sound a bit off your rocker.

Maybe he crossed the street right then for one of a million other reasons and had nothing to do with your landscaping pursuits at that moment.

Maybe the house across the street is numbered 13 or some other number he's superstitious about, and didn't want to walk in front of it. Maybe he wanted to see what brand equipment you were using because it was making such a nice, even sound. Maybe he was in his own little world and didn't even realize he was crossing because he was zoned out.

He did NOTHING aggressive towards you. You're the one wanting to act out.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:30 PM

593 posts, read 470,165 times
With the explosion in the dog population in NYC, there are a lot more dog walkers about during the day while people are away at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City