Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 04:42 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No one ever said he was Mr. Zuckerberg....

During guy's heyday people weren't paid huge sums see today. Also don't forget he's been retired for decades and has health issues. Wait until you're a senor citizen then get back to us about how easy living is on whatever your monthly household income happens to be...
Fixed income can be $2K/month or $10K/month.

Old 06-26-2022, 04:46 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times
Quote:
You don't have a clue do you?

Tons of homeowners (among other seniors) take in roomers or otherwise rent out portion of their homes. Where do you think a bulk of those illegal basement and other apartments come from?

This is an old rent regulated building. Elderly couple didn't buy when they had a chance with conversion to condo. Overall reviews about both rental and condo apartments are mixed about building.

No. I'm 68. I know older people who've had to downsize or move in with family. This doesn't fit. It's bizarre. The claims in that story don't add up.
BTW, you seem very emotional about this story. Where's that coming from?

Old 06-26-2022, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Calm the eff down!

Elderly couple like other seniors play the lot they were dealt. Likely moved into that place ages ago and never left, and that's fine. But like many other seniors in NYC they also are likely on fixed income with a tight budget and took in a roomer to help with expenses. The husband has Parkinson's, and wife dementia, what would you have city do? Kick them out on street?

There's a world of difference between an elderly couple on fixed income, and a younger single or household earning bank but keeping a well below market RS apartment.

The Sabrina is an old RS building that went condo so units remain under regulation (non eviction scheme), but overall place dates from when UWS went from highs to lows and now is back up to highs. Suffice to say back in 1970's or 1960's maybe even good part of 1980's 97th was a far different place.

https://www.nynesting.com/building/sabrina

https://streeteasy.com/building/the-sabrina
During these conversions, are residents that don't take the option of buying offered compensation to leave?

How do conversions work? Do most tenants have to vote to approve the conversion to a condo building? I can't imagine that one day, the LL just converts the building. This must be a years long process?

Can tenants who don't want to take the option to buy their apartment find other buyers on the market and take a "fee" for giving up their unit?

Are these apartments usually offered at market rate to tenants or at w discount?

Last edited by Esacni; 06-26-2022 at 05:10 AM..

Old 06-26-2022, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
No. I'm 68. I know older people who've had to downsize or move in with family. This doesn't fit. It's bizarre. The claims in that story don't add up.
I think the claims in the story add up if you consider the typical NYC way below market rate RS situation. Especially in Manhattan.

Old 06-26-2022, 05:19 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Certain persons have a hair across their behind about rent regulation in all forms, which is fine. But this is not a situation where some multi-millionaire is living in below market rate rent regulated apartment, thus the constant ranting needs to stop.

Are people scamming the system? Yes, but this isn't something to get worked up over. Odds are in a decade or so (if not less), both husband and wife will be dead. Save anger for next tenant of that rent regulated place who nabs a huge apartment for comparatively dirt cheap rent.

As for "downsizing" it works for some, not others. First and foremost to use your situation requires people have family willing to accept them, which in case you didn't know isn't always true. Even if it was if said family lives out of state or across country not every senior is thrilled about packing up and leaving what has been their home for ages.

On another note in same theme not everyone relishes leaving their own home where they are master or mistress to live under someone else's roof. As my old man was fond of saying "you live under my house, you obey my rules.." I fixed that bit by moving out on my own.

Don't know why this situation surprises you or anyone else. Roommates from Hades have been around for ages, so this story isn't new. What has been piled on is covid overlay and efforts by state/city making it impossible to get rid of a trouble maker.

https://www.thecut.com/article/kate-...llage-nyc.html

Old 06-26-2022, 05:22 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
During these conversions, are residents that don't take the option of buying offered compensation to leave?

How do conversions work? Do most tenants have to vote to approve the conversion to a condo building? I can't imagine that one day, the LL just converts the building. This must be a years long process?

Can tenants who don't want to take the option to buy their apartment find other buyers on the market and take a "fee" for giving up their unit?

Are these apartments usually offered at market rate to tenants or at w discount?
See: https://rentguidelinesboard.cityofne...ps-condos/#non

As for rest of your query, insider price varies. Sometimes it's well below market, others not so much. Trend lately has been for latter. Though since 2019 rent laws came into force no new applications have been filed for converting RS units to condo or co-op, which is what democrats in Albany wanted anyway.

Old 06-26-2022, 05:33 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Thought the same thing. It is their karma for hoarding a 3 bedroom apartment and trying to get him to pay almost half their rent.
Downsized to what? A place half the size that costs more money?
Makes no sense.

They easily could have rented the place for a lot more.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:06 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
A couple of questions/observations:

1) It says they get so upset about the situation that they frequently go and stay in a nursing home in The Bronx to get away from this guy. Am I the only one who finds this sort of unbelievable ? Anyone else here ever heard of anyone ( let alone 2 of them) floating in and out of a nursing home whenever they wish to get away from something ?Who is paying for this nursing home /hotel arrangement?
"Honey, I've had it, let's get a cab to The Bronx and check in to that nice nursing home for a few days"

2) It says the victim suffered because the tenant yanked his cell phone away because he was talking to another potential roommate who they wanted to replace the creepy one.
So even after all that has gone on they still haven't learned a lesson and decided maybe it would be better not to have a roommate?

Too much weirdness in this story to make it totally believable or to have much sympathy for the 2 oldsters. It sounds like a 2 scammers get scammed story to me .

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-26-2022 at 06:41 AM..

Old 06-26-2022, 06:58 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
I remember posting that most RS tenants paid way below market value and one regular poster swore that most paid close to market rate.

Majority of RS tenants have these kind of sweetheart deals. And keep the apartment long after they need it.
Mathjak… because he has one.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-26-2022, 07:07 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,151,643 times
Quote:
Thought the same thing. It is their karma for hoarding a 3 bedroom apartment and trying to get him to pay almost half their rent.

The couple wasn't 'hoarding' anything. But as others have noted here there must be more to this whole story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City