Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 02:09 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
You also have landlords abusing the rental market. You have landlords that don't repair issues. You have landlords that leave apts vacant.

https://therealdeal.com/2022/04/06/l...ed-apartments/

If landlords and supers took care of the apts and buildings then it wouldn't need so much money to renovate.

You do realize that sometimes the lease allows the lease holder to rent a room out.
Buildings don't fix themselves. If everyone in a building is paying BELOW RENT prices, while the landlord is paying MORE for water, higher taxes and other expenses that are increases, where do you think the landlord is supposed to find the money to make repairs to keep the building in a good state of repair? God forbid the landlord actually make any profit.

Old 06-26-2022, 03:50 PM

1,064 posts, read 546,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Anyone who takes this story at face value must be a transplant or a scamming rent stabilized tenant themselves.

Let us unpack.

1. $2,200-a-month, three-bedroom, two-bathroom with plush office space apartment. These two scamming biddies turn around and try to profit/price gouge a roommate for $992 a month for a single room rental.

If there is a cap on how much the landlord can charge on rent so should there be a cap on how much the tenant should be able to collect on said SINGLE ROOM in a 3 BEDROOM, 2 BATHROOM, Plus OFFICE apartment. No profiting on subsidized apartment you two grifters lol

2. I am sure there is a no subleasing clause and this was not cleared/okayed by said landlord

3. They admitted that they basically don't live full time, if at all, in the apartment. "the couple regularly stays 10 miles away at a Bronx nursing home" You don't just 'CHECK IN' and out of a nursing home.

The process for approval for a bed space for a nursing home is detailed and paper work intensive, plus to get the approval for payment. Clearly they told the nursing home, the doctor who signed off on it and the Medicaid Rep that they are no longer able to safely live in their apartment with all these medical ailment. This is the only way they would get approval. Insurance company are super stingy and rarely approve long term nursing home stays unless absolutely necessary.

4. That over $10K year in off the books income they are collecting from their illegal sublets. I am sure they did not disclose this income to Medicare/Medicaid who is likely paying for their nursing home stay because they claim indigent.

The landlord should gather all this evidence that they willingly put out there and evict all 3 grifters.

ME THINKS it is likely they got this Real Estate Agent to sublet the entire apartment and something went wrong with the arrangement. He moved in and decided to get over on them when he realized they were getting over on him

HOW these 3 odd balls got into business together? lol Bunch of grifters lol
Why are you making all these assumptions? It's normally perfectly legal to sublet out a room in a rent stabilized apartment. Has to be with the LL's permission, but the LL also is not allowed to unreasonably deny a request to sublet.

There are also laws that say how much the primary tenant is allowed to charge and my guess is that $922 is well within the legal amount they're allowed to charge, especially if he's renting more than one bedroom, like a bedroom and a study.

Lets say he's only using 1/3 of the apartment - they are legally allowed to charge $806 for that (one third of $2200 plus a 10% surcharge for furnishings). Maybe he also was renting a portion of the office space, or some extra space. So that could easily bring it up to $992.

So I have no idea how you can even throw the word "illegal" into the mix and make all these assumptions. A long time ago I lived in someone else's rent-stabilized apartment as a roommate, and then had my own for awhile so I'm familiar with the laws.

https://rentguidelinesboard.cityofne...tting/#legally

Old 06-26-2022, 04:07 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
Why are you making all these assumptions? It's normally perfectly legal to sublet out a room in a rent stabilized apartment. Has to be with the LL's permission, but the LL also is not allowed to unreasonably deny a request to sublet.

There are also laws that say how much the primary tenant is allowed to charge and my guess is that $922 is well within the legal amount they're allowed to charge, especially if he's renting more than one bedroom, like a bedroom and a study.

Lets say he's only using 1/3 of the apartment - they are legally allowed to charge $806 for that (one third of $2200 plus a 10% surcharge for furnishings). Maybe he also was renting a portion of the office space, or some extra space. So that could easily bring it up to $992.

So I have no idea how you can even throw the word "illegal" into the mix and make all these assumptions. A long time ago I lived in someone else's rent-stabilized apartment as a roommate, and then had my own for awhile so I'm familiar with the laws.

Seriously its hilarious people are calling this 992 a month income when it's not
My guess is they rented it that low bc it was legal and more wouldn't be

"Just downsize"

Yea downsize to a one bedroom that costs as much or more and will increase in price every year or two-that would be a genius financial move

What world do these people even live in who come up with this stuff?

The only grifter is the dirtbag abusing these people and stuffing them on rent despite having the money

Old 06-26-2022, 04:12 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,614,141 times
Quote:
RS or NYCHA, these people need to downsize when they no longer need that size apartment. There should be some arrangement to have people swap to smaller apartments when they clearly no longer need it.
RS is very different then Nycha. Nycha yes people should downsize as they only pay a percentage of their income for rent.
RS if they downsize. They pay whatever that apartment RS price is. In their case it's likely a smaller RS apartment in their building would actually cost more then what they were paying.

Old 06-26-2022, 05:00 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Do you have any idea the cost ( especially in stupid NYC) to upkeep, much less renovate an apartment? Now coupled that with very under market value rents.

I said it before and some were offended. MANY (alot!!) of RS tenants are just above NYCHA tenants in my eyes with their level of grifting and feeling entitled.

Imagine wanting a new, renovated apartment, in prime location at 75% of the cost. And never having a rent increase.

They are so invested in getting over they spend their lives in subpar living conditions rather trying to improve their situations and moving on. MOST never ever own or build any type of wealth as the money they don't have to rent pay in rent is RARELY saved or other wise invested.

When misfortune happens such as the building being damaged or they loose their apartment later in life they blame it on everyone but jesus and think strangers are entitled to house them. A bunch of grifters lol
The article states it " A basic renovation can cost $75,000 or $100,000, owners said."

My mother has an issue with the ceiling of her apt since last year. The super just tells her next week or that he is following up with the landlord.

Let's not pretend the city is not plagued by slumlords.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/09/bx-res...e-of-jan-fire/

"The building, run by Alliance Property Management & Development — and subsidized by hefty tax exemptions and taxpayer subsidies"

Old 06-26-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Buildings don't fix themselves. If everyone in a building is paying BELOW RENT prices, while the landlord is paying MORE for water, higher taxes and other expenses that are increases, where do you think the landlord is supposed to find the money to make repairs to keep the building in a good state of repair? God forbid the landlord actually make any profit.
Correct buildings don't fix themselves which is why if there is an issue it might make sense to fix it? yeah?

You also have slumlords. Do you want people to pay top rent and live in bad conditions so the landlord can make his profit?

https://landlordwatchlist.com/landlords

Here's the top five alleged offenders in this year's "Worst Landlord Watchlist":
David Schorr: 17 buildings, 1,442 average violations
Abdul Khan: 12 buildings, 1,302 average violations
Nathaniel Montgomery: 17 buildings, 1,192 average violations
Michael Niamonitakis: 10 buildings, 1,060 average violations
David Blau: 5 buildings, 1,050 average violations

Old 06-26-2022, 05:09 PM

People are acting like rich people don't find loop holes.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/21/emily-...ing-rent-suit/

Charles Rangel with 4 rent control apts, etc.

Last edited by Mr. Ryu; 06-26-2022 at 05:26 PM..

Old 06-26-2022, 05:25 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post

Were you legally on the lease PROVIDED BY THE LANDLORD?

Eugene Sarver, 78, who uses a wheelchair and suffers from severe Parkinson’s disease, and his wife, Nina, 74, who has dementia, say they made the ill-fated decision two years ago to rent a room in their spacious West 97th Street apartment for $992 a month to Lawrence Lee, a licensed agent whose antics may cost him his gig with real estate titan Douglas Elliman.

According to these biddy grifters, they rented the scammer a room. Not a room and an office space. I will bet my left big toe that they did not clear it with the landlord.

Eugene Sarver said Lee’s application continues to get rejected in part because the couple won’t sign off on papers claiming the realtor is entitled to aid. The senior said he and his wife won’t cooperate because Lee is “scamming the system” and they want no part of it.

If the scamming tenant had signed a lease provided by the actual landlord he could have forced these 2 elderly grifters to accept the rental assistance. An appeal could be made to the actual property owner to accept the assistance. The elderly tenants would have had no say in the matter.

They are refusing rental assistance because this rental assistance income is reported to IRS.

When one tries to get over and everyone ends up being got lol

Old 06-26-2022, 05:41 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,261,520 times
I'm sensing some self-dealing in this thread. For the purposes of honest and open discussion, I believe that those who have sweet RS deals (let's say pay less than 50% of going market rate) should put that on the table lest others make incorrect assumptions. The same honesty should come from LLs of RS units as their opinion is tainted as well. Maybe we have many big time LLs with many RS units passing their free time on this forum?

I'll go first. I'm not a LL with RS units. I also don't have a sweet RS deal.

Old 06-26-2022, 05:50 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,303 times
https://nypost.com/2018/05/10/famed-...pad-on-airbnb/..

They remind me of this scammer. Who owned a condo that she claimed was an 'office'. Tax write off anyone? Then acted like she was about be homeless when she was going to lose her RS apartment for AirBNBing it. Just a bunch of entitled scammers all around lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City