Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 09:11 PM

18,871 posts, read 13,756,433 times

Advertisements

The risk I am speaking about is the legal risk, not the physical risk. Police work by nature is to undertake illegal acts in a legal manner. For example, an arrest is effectively a kidnap. But the law spells out a social contract allowing cops to legally “kidnap” under specific conditions. Get it? That contract no longer exists.

I’m not comparing myself to other cops. That’s irrelevant. What matters is that cops need to know they’re getting a fair shake when an arrest goes south. I no longer trusted this would be the case.

I was a domestic violence Sgt. A highly specialized and trained position. I had 5 years of experience in this role. They begged me not to leave. I laughed. It’s been two years and I still get calls about (and from) my replacement. Too bad. Not my problem.

The NYPD is not seeing a surplus of applicants. The class starting 7/13 was approved for 1000. It’s about 600.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2022, 10:12 PM

1,360 posts, read 688,697 times
I think the NYPD was the only city job I never applied for when I lived in NY.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:05 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,231,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The risk I am speaking about is the legal risk, not the physical risk. Police work by nature is to undertake illegal acts in a legal manner. For example, an arrest is effectively a kidnap. But the law spells out a social contract allowing cops to legally “kidnap” under specific conditions. Get it? That contract no longer exists.

I’m not comparing myself to other cops. That’s irrelevant. What matters is that cops need to know they’re getting a fair shake when an arrest goes south. I no longer trusted this would be the case.

I was a domestic violence Sgt. A highly specialized and trained position. I had 5 years of experience in this role. They begged me not to leave. I laughed. It’s been two years and I still get calls about (and from) my replacement. Too bad. Not my problem.

The NYPD is not seeing a surplus of applicants. The class starting 7/13 was approved for 1000. It’s about 600.
Employers change demands on employees all the time. Today they want A and tomorrow they want B. It's part of working for someone else. Ultimately, an employee isn't in control and doesn't get to set the rules. That doesn't mean employers don't make poor decisions; they make poor decisions all of the time.

If you truly believe that police work is to "undertake illegal acts in a legal manner" and arrests are effectively "kidnaps" then, in my opinion and in all likelihood, this type of policing resulted in the wokesters gaining the upper hand (they'll lose it but it'll take a few years and lots of heartache for certain people). If any substantial percentage of the department did/does truly believe that effectively "we do dirty things but the law covers for us" then I can see why the pendulum swung in the complete opposite direction and cops would basically revert to not doing anything.

Shoot first, ask questions later only works for a short period of time until even regular people have a hard time mustering the energy to defend certain actions.

I don't think cops got a fair shake when arrests when south. I think it was obvious to most that cops who made very bad decisions (usually the same ones over and over) were not made examples of and "sacrificed" for the greater good of the social contract between the law and the public.

I'm not anti-cop but I'm also not naive enough to think that our current predicament where the woke got to run amok isn't also due to a lack of "sacrificial lambs" (who deserved it anyway) over the preceding years.

The bottom 10-20% of ANY organization is full of clowns, incompetents, and poor performers. In order to stay healthy, any organization needs to "trim the fat" every once in a while. You can't tell me that the NYPD did that. Every clown, incompetent, and poor performer was defended as if the NYPD's existence was dependent on them.

Then we got the wokesters. Things don't happen inside of a vacuum.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
I think the NYPD was the only city job I never applied for when I lived in NY.
Not sure how old you are but pre 9/11 and post 9/11 were two different worlds. I actually did the take the exam around 2007, passed (I have a very funny story from the psych exam), and was eventually called up about 2-3 years later (don't remember exactly when now). I got a pretty decent job in finance in the meantime so I passed on the opportunity. It worked out but I think if I became a cop it would've worked out as well. I was going to use my time in the NYPD to try to get into the FBI or another federal agency.

During the psych exam, the examiner asked me "looks like you graduated with a 3.8 with an economics degree from a good school, why would you want to be a cop?" I though the question was kind of dumb so I blurted out "do you want stupid people to become cops?". He looked at me and just went on to the next question. I legit thought I failed the exam right there.

The guys who came in the 5-7 years post 9/11, came into a different (abberational) reality. Pre 9/11, NYPD literally was just another city job and most guys probably took it for what it was because that's the way it always was.

When the post 9/11 honeymoon phase wore off for the guys who came on 0-5 (maybe even 7 years) years post 9-11, the standard reality was probably a shock. Imagine coming into the job when everyone loves the NYPD and the NYPD can do no wrong and then a few years later being NYPD is just what it always was to most NYCers. Just another group of people doing a job. It's like being a favorite child and then your parents all of a sudden treating you like a stranger. I think it came as a shock to a lot of guys.

Last edited by Esacni; 07-03-2022 at 11:36 PM..

Old 07-04-2022, 06:15 AM

1,213 posts, read 560,813 times
Even bad cops are better than no cops. It’s probably hard to agree or understand that statement, but just imagine for a minute, what would happen if we had NO cops. For whatever reason. Mayor McCheese decides to abolish law enforcement or something happens where every cop walked off the job or whatever. Just think about what would happen with zero law enforcement. I know the anti-coppers would just huff that off because “it will never happen”, but what if?

Old 07-04-2022, 07:31 AM

18,871 posts, read 13,756,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
Even bad cops are better than no cops. It’s probably hard to agree or understand that statement, but just imagine for a minute, what would happen if we had NO cops. For whatever reason. Mayor McCheese decides to abolish law enforcement or something happens where every cop walked off the job or whatever. Just think about what would happen with zero law enforcement. I know the anti-coppers would just huff that off because “it will never happen”, but what if?
I so badly hope for this to happen. Firstly, for the good of the idiots still out there with the uniform on. Smarten up! Secondly for all of the private money that would flow into protection jobs. It’s already happening somewhat. Last week my friend asked if I was interested in $100 an hour gig to cover a party in the Hamptons. One hundred dollars per hour. Sick.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-04-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
Like I've said before, if the city liberalized gun laws for law abiding reaidents, we'd need half the cops that we have. I do believe that it's fairly certain that most of the top brass are pro strict gun laws (a recent department chief recently publicly stated that the new US Supreme Court ruling would be disastrous for NYC) and I wouldn't be surprised if most I'd the rank and file are as well.

I can't see how one can make the argument above with the strict gun laws that we have in NYC.

Moreover, you can't make this argument with a straight face though.

Last edited by Esacni; 07-04-2022 at 09:43 AM..

Old 07-05-2022, 06:18 AM

5,620 posts, read 2,797,942 times
Its clearly OK for people to die from time to time as long as general public cant arm itself.
Its not the politicians that get shot, they have armed security.

The message is clear, move to a better area and avoid NYC. They dont want regular people defending themselves. That would be to macho, too masculine, this would go against their soft men agenda.
Again, its ok if some people die.

For police, I can see it being a bigger head ache, more people carrying and now actually researching who is the bad or good guy. After all, they show up after the crime is committed, after someone got killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: