Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 11:32 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Just for the record, Nuyoricans have a different vibe from island Puerto Ricans. To me they are both of Puerto Rican stock and obviously have many things in common, but they have been subjected to different experiences and it shows. Anyone that go to PR thinking it will be a bigger place of Nuyorican/Puerto Rican social islands in NYC is going to experience some culture shock.

The same could be said of any Latin country with a large and established community in the USA.
Agree 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 08:15 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Lots of great responses but I will respond via this quote.

Yes crushing island life. I can imagine it can be a phase that easily goes sour.

I have been to San Juan but many years ago maybe 2002 ? I was super excited to visit because I grew up in NYC and was friendly with PR's for most of my life and I always had a crush on PR Women. I stayed in Isla Verde.

Now the DR is way more my speed. Love the vibe and the people over there too but the anti marijuana laws are brutal. Otherwise I would have gone there.

I just want away from America and to be closer to Latin culture. I find that I fit in much better in those environments.

My budget would be around $2k per month in rental fees. I would much rather give the business to a local.

I am retired and live on investments. I would not need a job but healthcare services would be important. I would probably purchase a concierge medical plan for that like Pravan.
Why not just move to Miami? There are huge areas where English is not even spoken, but you still get access to US hospitals, stores, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
What other type of Money would you make in PR?

It's an American territory, only US money and US laws and US everything else.
They don't have US salaries over there if you get a job similar to what locals get.

Old 07-07-2022, 12:06 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Lots of great responses but I will respond via this quote.

Yes crushing island life. I can imagine it can be a phase that easily goes sour.

I have been to San Juan but many years ago maybe 2002 ? I was super excited to visit because I grew up in NYC and was friendly with PR's for most of my life and I always had a crush on PR Women. I stayed in Isla Verde.

Now the DR is way more my speed. Love the vibe and the people over there too but the anti marijuana laws are brutal. Otherwise I would have gone there.

I just want away from America and to be closer to Latin culture. I find that I fit in much better in those environments.

My budget would be around $2k per month in rental fees. I would much rather give the business to a local.

I am retired and live on investments. I would not need a job but healthcare services would be important. I would probably purchase a concierge medical plan for that like Pravan.
Since you're retired and live on investments, then you get to avoid the worst part of PR which is lack of well-paying jobs. This also seems like a pretty fixed income and PR will be a lot more affordable than NYC and San Juan is a fun enough city. How budget constrained are you? Do you drive/looking to buy a car? I think factoring in car ownership, then living in Miami in a nice part of the area is still going to be quite pricey and I feel San Juan is overall a better walking / mass transit city than Miami and its general area is.

Also, are you fluently bilingual though? Lot of people in San Juan are fluent in English, but I think you'll miss out on a lot without being fluent in Spanish.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-07-2022 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-07-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Since you're retired and live on investments, then you get to avoid the worst part of PR which is lack of well-paying jobs. This also seems like a pretty fixed income and PR will be a lot more affordable than NYC and San Juan is a fun enough city. How budget constrained are you? Do you drive/looking to buy a car? I think factoring in car ownership, then living in Miami in a nice part of the area is still going to be quite pricey and I feel San Juan is overall a better walking / mass transit city than Miami and its general area is.

Also, are you fluently bilingual though? Lot of people in San Juan are fluent in English, but I think you'll miss out on a lot without being fluent in Spanish.
Thanks for commenting.

I am not 100% fluent in spanish but I'd give myself a mark of at least 85 possibly 90%. For what I need to do communicate and chat with people I am fine. If I was to work in a kitchen or anywhere specific I would obviously need to learn the words related to that profession. Pero solo comunicando con la gente....no hay pedo..

I don't drive anymore. My choice. I was diagnosed with early onset Parkinsons. I'd rather not risk it. According to most blogs I would be stuck in San Juan. Shocking that SJ doesn't have decent public transportation. It is a part of America though so probably not that odd. The DR and Mexico oddly enough have great public transportation. We just can't seem to get a grip on it in America for some reason.

May I ask if you are PR and do you spend time on the island ?

Thanks

Old 07-07-2022, 03:16 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
Hmmm well to live in San Juan it's a pain. I would work in San Juan but not live. Just like NYC lol. I left NYC a long time ago. However it depends on how much are they paying you. If the money is good then go for it.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:18 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Thanks for commenting.

I am not 100% fluent in spanish but I'd give myself a mark of at least 85 possibly 90%. For what I need to do communicate and chat with people I am fine. If I was to work in a kitchen or anywhere specific I would obviously need to learn the words related to that profession. Pero solo comunicando con la gente....no hay pedo..

I don't drive anymore. My choice. I was diagnosed with early onset Parkinsons. I'd rather not risk it. According to most blogs I would be stuck in San Juan. Shocking that SJ doesn't have decent public transportation. It is a part of America though so probably not that odd. The DR and Mexico oddly enough have great public transportation. We just can't seem to get a grip on it in America for some reason.

May I ask if you are PR and do you spend time on the island ?

Thanks

I am not PR, but have friends who are (like, from the island, not Nuyoricans, though they have all spent some time in NYC) and find the island and San Juan pretty lovely. My spouse and I have considered doing an extended stay relocation. She unfortunately doesn't speak Spanish very much, though I'm passable in general conversation and can watch TV shows (news broadcasts sometimes just run a bit fast for me) though there's an additional struggle for me when it comes to Caribbean Spanish which I'm pretty sure doesn't put me in 85 to 90% "fluency". My pronunciation and accent is oddly good which is a problem as it's a false signifier for greater fluency than I actually have, so I end up getting into conversations where people are speaking a mile a minute to me and I have to get them to repeat and slowdown. Getting around much of San Juan without having a car is doable, and much better than what you'd find in the vast majority of US cities, but that's unfortunately a low bar, so I can see it starting to feel limiting after a while.

I found Mexico City fantastic for getting around without a car and I think it's one of the most appealing cities I've ever been in and we're now vaguely considering doing an extended stay there instead. The Spanish spoken there is also a *lot* easier for me to understand though I don't know if that'd be the case for you. Have never been to the DR.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-07-2022 at 03:38 PM..

Old 07-07-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Hmmm well to live in San Juan it's a pain. .
Can you please elaborate as to why it would be a pain living in San Juan ?

Old 07-07-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I am not PR, but have friends who are (like, from the island, not Nuyoricans, though they have all spent some time in NYC) and find the island and San Juan pretty lovely. My spouse and I have considered doing an extended stay relocation. She unfortunately doesn't speak Spanish very much, though I'm passable in general conversation and can watch TV shows (news broadcasts sometimes just run a bit fast for me) perhaps somewhat like you though there's an additional struggle for me when it comes to Caribbean Spanish. Getting around much of San Juan without having a car is doable, and much better than what you'd find in the vast majority of US cities, but that's unfortunately a low bar, so I can see it starting to feel limiting after a while.

I found Mexico City fantastic for getting around without a car and I think it's one of the most appealing cities I've ever been in and we're now vaguely considering doing an extended stay there instead. The Spanish spoken there is also a *lot* easier for me to understand though I don't know if that'd be the case for you. Have never been to the DR.
Mexico City is Fabulous. Highly recommended but a lot of places have no central heating and at 7K plus Ft it can get VERY VERY cold several months out of the year.

The DR is what I want from PR ! However I would never last due to the archaic marijuana laws. Great people though and the music is top notch. Food is an issue though ....greasy and they barely eat any veggies.

I am hoping to back to SJ maybe this Fall for a scouting mission......if I can dodge the barrage of Covid bullets flying our way at the moment.

Old 07-07-2022, 04:44 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
Quote:
Can you please elaborate as to why it would be a pain living in San Juan ?
Well it is just like in NY. There's always traffic. People are rude like in NYC. However you will be ok though because it's like in NYC lol. I'd live outside of San Juan. However you might want to visit and check it out for yourself. Maybe you will like it.

Old 07-07-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well it is just like in NY. There's always traffic. People are rude like in NYC. However you will be ok though because it's like in NYC lol. I'd live outside of San Juan. However you might want to visit and check it out for yourself. Maybe you will like it.
Traffic is everywhere unfortunately . I did not get the chance to visit anywhere outside SJ on my visit so I really missed seeing A LOT. I also did not know much Spanish at the time. My experiences would be totally different now I think.

I am really into the music scene in PR. Especially Salsa. Besides going out and dancing to it I wonder how else I could get involved ? I would be a hell of a DJ if someone gave me the opportunity.

My choices are Tijuana, NYC , or Puerto Rico. You can't get more eclectic than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: