Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 04:39 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Both states have been doing this for a while...but they're being bussed to DC. Because we don't track anyone, those people in DC are turning up here in NYC. But let's be real - if it wasn't for these migrants, restaurants, hotels, and construction would be dead in NYC. Americans don't work anymore.
Why don’t you tell this to your fellow Democrat mayor Adams? He is the one complaining about these illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 05:11 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Because they are not union and more to point aren't paid scale wages.

Whites are or have left construction for all but jobs that require specific skills or training because cheap non union (usually illegal immigrants) is what developers and others will hire. This or people only work where by laws or rules construction is mandated to be carried out by union under prevailing wage laws.

No self respecting guy in trades is going to bust his a$$ for barely above minimum wage. But illegals and other "immigrants" will, so there you are.

Developers, city and state love this because it allows all sorts of construction projects to come in far cheaper.

The eff ton of "affordable" or "low income" housing could not be built without illegal or whatever immigrant labor. If developers had to pay prevailing/union wages things just would not pencil out.
I know. My response was to the guy who said basically, "because I see a bunch of white construction workers on the LIRR every morning, clearly the immigrants don't do the blue collar work in the city." Anybody with half a brain and who has walked around a construction site in Manhattan knows that isn't true. Also, it doesn't take a genius to realize why people on the LIRR would be overwhelmingly White, regardless of occupation.

As far as my maids comment, I was thinking more of hotel maids and less so personal household ones.

Old 07-20-2022, 05:34 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,050 times
So back to the OP point. Democrats are basically living a lie until life hits them in the face. Everything is fine until they have to face the consequences of their own actions....

Old 07-20-2022, 07:52 AM

562 posts, read 463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That depends. In rich heartland of UES (west of Lexington Ave to Fifth) and some other areas wealthy still hire and prefer white domestic staff. Eastern European, Irish, whatever.

Huge amount of Latino/Hispanic or Caribbean domestic help (cleaners, maids, child care) are either illegals or immigrant women with low levels of formal education and or otherwise cannot find better work. They fill a huge need in that many so called "middle class" households in Manhattan cannot afford anything else.

In many instances what the wife makes pretty much covers costs of said maid and or nanny. She wants to work for various reasons, but someone has to handle home front. Such households need or want domestic help, but it has to be on the cheap.

Compounding things many of these households pay domestic or child care help off the books. That makes it look like a lot of money each week, but decades later when these workers don't qualify for SS or have bare quarters, and or other benefits and are busted, guess who is going to be picking up the tab for their Medicaid, subsidized housing, etc...

Look at pictures in media of past week or so showing Ivana Trump out and about with member of her domestic staff. They are all white...
Wealthy families (in the States) who are in search of nannies, tend to prefer college educated American women. Race is often unimportant.

Most college educated American women have no interest in working as nannies; therefore, the few who are interested are in great demand, like the woman featured in the below video, who checks off all of the boxes, deemed desirable by very wealthy families (i.e. She's American, worked as a teacher and has a degree in early childhood education from Spelman College).

She is 29, earns $175,000 a year as a full-time nanny for two families, one in New York City and one in Atlanta, Georgia. The families pay for her travel expenses and she receives free room and board from both families.

She is in such high demand that the NYC (Manhattan based family) decided to continue to pay her during the pandemic, despite the fact that she wasn't working for them. Apparently, they continued to pay, just to ensure that she remained with their family, once the pandemic ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPqte8BNJYc

Old 07-20-2022, 08:06 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Well the experts at CNBC disagree with you. I left a link earlier in the thread should you choose to break away from your unfunny sarcasm.

It's not what you believe or see through your finite lens. The data is the data. I provided a link to BLS which shows Hispanic laborers as "overrepresented". Both political parties plays footsies with the migrant/border issue b/c their campaign contributors understand that without the cheap labor, this country would collapse.

And as for the white collar workers you mentioned earlier, why no response to the outsourcing and offshoring of white-collar work? If you don't do work for the federal government that requires clearance (or city/state for that matter), you're job is likely being outsourced sooner than later if it hasn't already happened.

I'll end by saying that for the purpose of this conversation, I'm making some harsh and likely erroneous assumptions about the blue-collar latino workforce that we see building, cooking, cleaning, etc.
Oh I agree with the bold. I was going to mention that but found it irrelevant to the topic of blue collar migrant workers. H1B's and offshore workers are not undocumented. I'm in IT so I know what you're saying is true. Trump tried to force more Americans to work in these high paying fields by limiting H1B's and taxing companies that offshore work, but that was seen as racist.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:21 PM

870 posts, read 413,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
That’s not 100% true. Go to a happy hour in TriBeCa and you’ll see all sorts of legal blue collar workers who make excellent pay: iron workers, carpenters, electricians, firefighters, nurses and police are all backbreaking but high paying jobs (depending on the experience). I knew a female iron worker who made mid six figures.
Point is one cannot underestimate blue collar jobs. Many of them pay very well. My dad was a motorman for the MTA and he was able to retire at 50 with an excellent pension.
You definitely make a good living with these jobs that are useful and require a skill set and a courage not everyone has. It sure pays more to have this type of qualification due to their usefulness than having a degree in gender studies or climate studies and then end up jobless and blaming capitalism.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
You definitely make a good living with these jobs that are useful and require a skill set and a courage not everyone has. It sure pays more to have this type of qualification due to their usefulness than having a degree in gender studies or climate studies and then end up jobless and blaming capitalism.
Yes. And no student loans is always a big +++

Old 07-20-2022, 01:53 PM

1,274 posts, read 978,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
Wealthy families (in the States) who are in search of nannies, tend to prefer college educated American women. Race is often unimportant.

Most college educated American women have no interest in working as nannies; therefore, the few who are interested are in great demand, like the woman featured in the below video, who checks off all of the boxes, deemed desirable by very wealthy families (i.e. She's American, worked as a teacher and has a degree in early childhood education from Spelman College).

She is 29, earns $175,000 a year as a full-time nanny for two families, one in New York City and one in Atlanta, Georgia. The families pay for her travel expenses and she receives free room and board from both families.

She is in such high demand that the NYC (Manhattan based family) decided to continue to pay her during the pandemic, despite the fact that she wasn't working for them. Apparently, they continued to pay, just to ensure that she remained with their family, once the pandemic ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPqte8BNJYc
That's really cool! I am glad for her. Now there are not that many positions like that in my mind but maybe I am wrong.

All I am trying to say is that individually, maybe there are some positions that could be interesting but at a macro level, it's always going to be problematic if a topic / skill sets / profile becomes too "common", so that's the true issue our society is facing at the end of the day.

Old 07-20-2022, 01:56 PM

1,274 posts, read 978,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
That’s not 100% true. Go to a happy hour in TriBeCa and you’ll see all sorts of legal blue collar workers who make excellent pay: iron workers, carpenters, electricians, firefighters, nurses and police are all backbreaking but high paying jobs (depending on the experience). I knew a female iron worker who made mid six figures.
Point is one cannot underestimate blue collar jobs. Many of them pay very well. My dad was a motorman for the MTA and he was able to retire at 50 with an excellent pension.
Blue collar jobs that pay 6 figures, sure. Mid 6 figures? That sounds like a lot, even by Manhattan standard, unless you're counting the business revenue as a sole proprietorship as a "salary" but that sounds different to me than a W2 pay, if that makes sense.

Now I can always be wrong, I unfortunately, or fortunately, do not have innate knowledge and am happy to learn!

Old 07-20-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Blue collar jobs that pay 6 figures, sure. Mid 6 figures? That sounds like a lot, even by Manhattan standard, unless you're counting the business revenue as a sole proprietorship as a "salary" but that sounds different to me than a W2 pay, if that makes sense.

Now I can always be wrong, I unfortunately, or fortunately, do not have innate knowledge and am happy to learn!
She was a mid level iron worker who made very good money. So good in fact, that she lived like a wall street employee and got addicted to coke. I know because her boss (who was a friend of mine at the time) told me that he was even considering firing her. Beyond that, I don't know but I wonder, who can afford to get addicted to coke and live a normal day to day life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: