Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 03:39 PM

57 posts, read 91,567 times

Advertisements

Hi NYC Forum,

I am considering a move to westchester and am just curious how folks in NYC would put the following towns into general tiers based on wealth / reputation:

Rye
Scarsdale
Harrison
Purchase
Armonk
Larchmont
Chappaqua
Bedford
Bronxville

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 04:43 PM

5,823 posts, read 2,945,690 times
Bronxville and Scarsdale is really nice.
Try to afford it.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:17 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfordmba2012 View Post
Hi NYC Forum,

I am considering a move to westchester and am just curious how folks in NYC would put the following towns into general tiers based on wealth / reputation:

Rye
Scarsdale
Harrison
Purchase
Armonk
Larchmont
Chappaqua
Bedford
Bronxville

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Bronxville and Scarsdale is really nice.
Try to afford it.
I've had colleagues that lived in some of these towns such as Rye and Scarsdale.

Scardsale, Bronxville, Larchmont and Rye I'd put as the top four just because of their location and excellent schools. Scarsdale used to be very WASP, but that has been changing. Still heavily White, but some Asians moving in. Bedford and Chappaqua a bit further out, but still expensive.

You don't say what your budget is and what commute you are looking for, but the four I mentioned offer the best commutes via Metro-North or some people just drive down and you will pay for housing. A few of my colleagues at the time I am sure made over $200,000/yr, as they were in senior roles. The types that drive in with their Porsche, etc. play golf in the summer, etc.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:42 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,469,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I've had colleagues that lived in some of these towns such as Rye and Scarsdale.

Scardsale, Bronxville, Larchmont and Rye I'd put as the top four just because of their location and excellent schools. Scarsdale used to be very WASP, but that has been changing. Still heavily White, but some Asians moving in. Bedford and Chappaqua a bit further out, but still expensive.

You don't say what your budget is and what commute you are looking for, but the four I mentioned offer the best commutes via Metro-North or some people just drive down and you will pay for housing. A few of my colleagues at the time I am sure made over it $200,000/yr, as they were in senior roles. The types that drive in with their Porsche, etc. play golf in the summer, etc.
Their budget from another post they made in the westchester forum:

“I am looking to move to Westchester but don't know much about these places. My budget is between $3-4.5M depending on the taxes. A few questions:”

Old 07-29-2022, 12:38 AM

788 posts, read 486,207 times
Quote:
Hi NYC Forum,

Rye
Scarsdale
Harrison
Purchase
Armonk
Larchmont
Chappaqua
Bedford
Bronxville

Thanks!
The Clintons live in Chappaqua, so that should tell you all you need to know.

Bedford is also full of wealthy celebrities. I think Martha Stewart may still live there.

The rest are all considered upscale NYC northern suburbs. The rule of thumb is the further away from the city, the better for families. Bronxville is nice but would be my last choice as it's way to close to many hoods like Yonkers.

Personally, I'd move the north shore of Long Island any day of the week over any northern Westchester burb. Water access beats all. Either Kings Point or Harbor Hills (Great Neck) are full of mansions near the Long Island sound but also "affordable" homes in the $1.5M range.

Old 07-29-2022, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post

Bedford is also full of wealthy celebrities. I think Martha Stewart may still live there.

The rest are all considered upscale NYC northern suburbs. The rule of thumb is the further away from the city, the better for families. Bronxville is nice but would be my last choice as it's way to close to many hoods like Yonkers.

Personally, I'd move the north shore of Long Island any day of the week over any northern Westchester burb. Water access beats all. Either Kings Point or Harbor Hills (Great Neck) are full of mansions near the Long Island sound but also "affordable" homes in the $1.5M range.
Plenty of Westchester towns have waterfront housing, such as Larchmont. Your rule of thumb is the further away from "those people". That's what you really want to say. To the OP, Bronxville is totally fine. This individual is Queens and Long Island centric and does not want to live near "those people" if you catch my drift, so I would not pay him any mind.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:01 AM

93 posts, read 41,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Scarsdale used to be very WASP, but that has been changing. Still heavily White, but some Asians moving in.
Scarsdale has been predominantly Jewish and East Asian for many years now, at least when you're talking school-age kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post

You'll have much better water access in the Westchester sound towns (Larchmont, Rye, etc.) than you will on most of Long Island. Unless OP has ties to the Island, he'd almost certainly be much better off in Westchester.

And Kings Point? OP is considering places like Bronxville and Rye and you recommend he move to an insular community for Iranian Jews?

Old 07-29-2022, 01:06 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
Hi NYC Forum,

Rye
Scarsdale
Harrison
Purchase
Armonk
Larchmont
Chappaqua
Bedford
Bronxville

Thanks!

With a username of Stanfordmba2012, you'll fit right in with the neighborhoods you have listed.

In fact, why not go through your Stanford alumni list to see where you might already know some alumni?

Old 07-29-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksuit View Post
Scarsdale has been predominantly Jewish and East Asian for many years now, at least when you're talking school-age kids.

You'll have much better water access in the Westchester sound towns (Larchmont, Rye, etc.) than you will on most of Long Island. Unless OP has ties to the Island, he'd almost certainly be much better off in Westchester.

And Kings Point? OP is considering places like Bronxville and Rye and you recommend he move to an insular community for Iranian Jews?
Yeah, school-age kids being the key, but the town is still heavily White, though the Asian population continues to make gains. I knew about the Jews as well. I'm thinking from a while ago, because he WASP population in a number of areas has declined. The UES would be another example where you have a heavy Jewish presence.

As for your response to islanders2021, he recommended those areas because he is an insular, close-minded individual, and I'm putting that nicely.

Old 07-29-2022, 02:58 PM

307 posts, read 637,383 times
Bedford's just about the most scenic town in NY Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City