Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 10:42 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,261,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter62 View Post
Thank you, someoneinqueens!My daughter is trying to stay around $2000 so she can do it on her own. But, we know that we might have to help.
Bingo. I make a lot of assumptions on certain topics but they're usually correct.

Why don't you just get it over with. Look for apartments in the $3K range and save both you and your daughter the hassle. That's what will happen anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
Based on the areas that you mentioned, I assume you & your daughter wouldn't mind to spend a slightly higher rent price (i.e. above $2K). If I may suggest, try to apply directly to the building management through their website because usually there is no broker fee. Other option is try to look up on StreetEasy & filter it with 'No fee', that's how I did when I looked for an apartment & I made it without broker fee.

Also, you may want to check out Cash Jordan on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/CashJordan/videos

It may be giving you some ideas about how NYC real estate & sometimes Cash also listed the broker's contact information if you're interested in what he showed on the video & wanna reach out.

If you are interested to explore Rent Stabilized apartments, here's the link on StreetEasy for more information on RS apartments in NYC: https://streeteasy.com/blog/how-to-f...rtment-in-nyc/

I wish you good luck!!
The market is absolutely bonkers right now. The only no-fees may be in far out neighborhoods and even then there are very, very few of them .

Cash Jordan videos? Really?

Old 08-09-2022, 10:49 AM

1,064 posts, read 546,397 times
Quote:
No, commuting is not out of the question. And, she will at the beginning. But, she's 22. Not sure doing a 1:40 commute each way to NYC and back from your parent's house in NJ is what she is looking for! She should live in the city if she can.
Commuting from her parents' house doesn't sound like a good idea, but she shouldn't be afraid of having a commute to her job that is from an area outside Manhattan. So far you listed only Manhattan neighborhoods that you looked at, and you're looking at the very lowest end of the rent range. So of course you're going to have trouble with the search.

One thing New Yorkers know is a fact of life is compromise.

So you either compromise by bringing the monthly rental budget up or you compromise by looking at neighborhoods that are not top tier.

When I looked at streeteasy, a bunch of $2000 apartments came up in Jersey City. I know she might be wanting to move out of Jersey but there are some hot neighborhoods there and the PATH train is easy and convenient to lower Manhattan.

Just an example of a possible compromise.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:51 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,840,418 times
I found watching Cash Jordan videos helpful so I made a suggestion. If one doesn't find it useful, feel free to suggest other sources. This is an open forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
The market is absolutely bonkers right now. The only no-fees may be in far out neighborhoods and even then there are very, very few of them .

Cash Jordan videos? Really?

Old 08-09-2022, 11:18 AM

Unfortunately the areas that your daughter picked are the pricey ones, like others said, $2K rent may be difficult to find or even nearly impossible these days. I second about your daughter may have to broaden her search to other areas to fit the budget. Hoboken, Jersey City, Newark, or Newport in New Jersey can be options too since those areas are within PATH & NJ Transit so it doesn't have to take long commute to NYC.

Quote:
No, commuting is not out of the question. And, she will at the beginning. But, she's 22. Not sure doing a 1:40 commute each way to NYC and back from your parent's house in NJ is what she is looking for! She should live in the city if she can.

Old 08-09-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
I found watching Cash Jordan videos helpful so I made a suggestion. If one doesn't find it useful, feel free to suggest other sources. This is an open forum...
You can suggest anything you want. Cash Jordan is entertainment and he's definitely made more money off of YouTube than he ever did as a broker. What he shows isn't real life.

Old 08-09-2022, 03:50 PM

Interesting! I personally found his videos useful & he did show a real life of what's going on in the neighborhood so it's not just showing the boring property but anyway, if you find it otherwise, by all means, don't watch them.

About he made more money off of YouTube than he ever did as a broker, don't we all wanna have a successful business???... I don't judge what people do as long as they do it lawfully & don't hurt others!

I wonder, why don't you recommend something useful that others can benefit including me???... We all may need to learn something useful from a smart person like you who knows everything in NYC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
You can suggest anything you want. Cash Jordan is entertainment and he's definitely made more money off of YouTube than he ever did as a broker. What he shows isn't real life.

Last edited by someoneinqueens; 08-09-2022 at 04:33 PM..

Old 08-10-2022, 11:13 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Hahaha, I did it for years, first from my parents' house (which was only an hour and 20) starting at age 20 and 38 years later it was up to almost 2 hours from my current home when I retired.

But I get it. I came to regret that I never tried living in the city when I was young and single. Good luck. I hope she finds a place.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:30 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Honest Property Management Companies

I doubt one exists.

Old 08-14-2022, 09:38 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,303 times
Look for apartments advertised by landlords. Apartments.com and zillow have good listings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: