Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 06:42 PM

31,891 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Employers are still facing headwinds getting people back to work three days per week, much less five.

https://www.curbed.com/2022/06/hybri...mote-work.html

Long as labor market remains tight, employers don't have juice to force things upon certain employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 07:19 PM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Employers are still facing headwinds getting people back to work three days per week, much less five.

https://www.curbed.com/2022/06/hybri...mote-work.html

Long as labor market remains tight, employers don't have juice to force things upon certain employees.
My employer is trying it. I would have still been out of the country working remotely but most employees are fighting it. So now we all line up our in office days to have long weekends. Its either in office M,T,W or T,W,Th Hardly anyone is there on Fridays.

All the work still gets done on time and is more productive as we dont have someone constantly walking around looking over shoulders so we have to "fake" being busy. Many people left to competing firms that adopted a fully hybrid work life too. I do like the new schedule. I can do a M,T,W, Take 4 hours PTO and fly to DR. As long as im answering emails it still looks like im working. Then work remotely through out Th, F while partying at night all through Saturday then fly back on a Sunday

A true work life balance

Old 06-17-2022, 04:40 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
What about a 4 day work week?!

Old 06-17-2022, 06:37 AM

828 posts, read 766,714 times
I feel terrible for young people just entering this new anti-social, disturbia, work-world. Imagine graduating college, getting a great new job, and learning that, for your own good, you'll need to work out of your bedroom (in your crappy little apartment or your parent's house) 2-3 days a week (or more). I think it's awful and I will never be convinced otherwise.

Old 06-17-2022, 06:49 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,394,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post
I feel terrible for young people just entering this new anti-social, disturbia, work-world. Imagine graduating college, getting a great new job, and learning that, for your own good, you'll need to work out of your bedroom (in your crappy little apartment or your parent's house) 2-3 days a week (or more). I think it's awful and I will never be convinced otherwise.
I agree, some kind of hybrid work environment where you go into the office 2x a week I think is best for the social and interaction aspect.

Old 06-17-2022, 09:39 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post
If those college grads want to live in a shack or a closet because they MUST live in the most expensive parts of Manhattan, well that's their problem. I have a large apartment where I can set up anywhere and work. I have loved WFH. I go in once or twice a week and work from home the other days. Sleep in later and have much more time to myself AND I am even more productive than I was before. Fewer conference calls. More done by e-mail and more done quicker.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 06-17-2022 at 09:51 AM..

Old 06-17-2022, 09:45 AM

36 posts, read 45,787 times
I've been working 5 days a week in the office since March!

Old 06-17-2022, 10:16 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
My employer is trying it. I would have still been out of the country working remotely but most employees are fighting it. So now we all line up our in office days to have long weekends. Its either in office M,T,W or T,W,Th Hardly anyone is there on Fridays.

All the work still gets done on time and is more productive as we dont have someone constantly walking around looking over shoulders so we have to "fake" being busy. Many people left to competing firms that adopted a fully hybrid work life too. I do like the new schedule. I can do a M,T,W, Take 4 hours PTO and fly to DR. As long as im answering emails it still looks like im working. Then work remotely through out Th, F while partying at night all through Saturday then fly back on a Sunday

A true work life balance
This either won't last or WFH will be permanent but companies will adjust to it with regards to either being able to extract more productivity ,lower wages, smaller workforce or any combination.

I'm saying this as someone who is WFH with 2 jobs. It's proven a very positive thing for me but I realize that in most cases, companies are experiencing much lower productivity.

The entire notion that many workers push that "we're more productive at home" just isn't true. I don't blame workers. WFH is a great thing for the vast majority of workers and no one wants to lose it.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:30 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
It's proven a very positive thing for me but I realize that in most cases, companies are experiencing much lower productivity..
And what proof do you have of this? Any reports that I have seen show that WFH has actually meant HIGHER productivity.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:32 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
People want three day work week, but they're not prepared for the scarcities in products or services being offered which will drive up inflation like mad. I think the lockdowns have done a lot to make people feel lazy and want to put out less time at work and into more recreational activities - sleeping being one of them lol. (Not that I blame us, just stating a fact).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City