Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 10:35 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
I didn't know that you rise your own animals for slaughter and harvest your own fruits/vegetables up in that M-L in the Rockaways. Maybe you keep chickens for eggs and have dairy cows too?

So you realize how many people you paid to get your food to the grocery store?
Duhh, the supermarket is a luxury, someone else is doing the work for you

You too are equating luxury with a monetary amount

Some of you really live in your own fantasy world

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-22-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
These types of viewpoints rely on a carefully constructed denial of reality, to a far greater extent than any of the cults or religions that leftists seek to supplant. This doesn't lend itself to simple, easily conveyed messages, because if you rely on your readers to see things as they are, without providing several layers of carefully selected context, they'll interpret it the wrong way.
When all else fails lets use one of these cool sounding political terms to call people, its like a fad now

Old 08-22-2022, 10:47 AM

Go look up what luxury means in the dictionary, its not all about millions of dollars like many of you have been conditioned to think

Old 08-22-2022, 11:21 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Go look up what luxury means in the dictionary, its not all about millions of dollars like many of you have been conditioned to think
Surfing the internet, buying school swag instead of working because my "boss" is in Germany right now, is a luxury .

Old 08-22-2022, 11:24 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Same here except for us growing up it was literally zero times eating out. I remember early in my childhood my parents went to a few restaurant outings for relatives birthday but that was maybe once a year for the first few years.

I've never really enjoyed eating at sit down restaurants ( I respect and understand waiters/waitresses but they don't really add value with regard to the food) so I've always preferred take-out or eat-in fast food.
When someone died we went to Caraville in Brooklyn after the funeral. On report card day we went to McDonald's or KFC for lunch. That's it for my childhood. As an adult I love great food and beautiful restaurants. The more I could afford, the better the places we'd try. And it does kind of stink that we're having to cut way back on it. It just does! I have a 12 year old and we never really had sitters so now he's used to eating in great places. He doesn't understand what an absolute luxury ordering shirley temples and appetizers with dinner was. If my father was still alive I'm not sure he would even understand the concept of an appetizer, much less spending $20 on one. One thing that's taking the sting out of it is the service in most places seems to be going down and the prices go up so it's making it a little easier to say no thanks.

And is this complaining? I don't know! I'm not saying the prices shouldn't have gone up. And the tables are still full so they're not missing me. It's just a bummer to not be able to do something I enjoyed SO MUCH anymore.

Old 08-22-2022, 11:26 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,399,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Surfing the internet, buying school swag instead of working because my "boss" is in Germany right now, is a luxury .
That's forsure lolol

Old 08-22-2022, 03:50 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
My luxury is huge cuts of beef nearly every night for dinner. Enjoying a huge shell steak right now. I structured my life so I could life this way as an adult.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-22-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
When someone died we went to Caraville in Brooklyn after the funeral. On report card day we went to McDonald's or KFC for lunch. That's it for my childhood. As an adult I love great food and beautiful restaurants. The more I could afford, the better the places we'd try. And it does kind of stink that we're having to cut way back on it. It just does! I have a 12 year old and we never really had sitters so now he's used to eating in great places. He doesn't understand what an absolute luxury ordering shirley temples and appetizers with dinner was. If my father was still alive I'm not sure he would even understand the concept of an appetizer, much less spending $20 on one. One thing that's taking the sting out of it is the service in most places seems to be going down and the prices go up so it's making it a little easier to say no thanks.

And is this complaining? I don't know! I'm not saying the prices shouldn't have gone up. And the tables are still full so they're not missing me. It's just a bummer to not be able to do something I enjoyed SO MUCH anymore.
Is making more money to fund your hobby of dining out not an option? Some freelancing maybe?

Old 08-23-2022, 05:37 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
This is why I took a hiatus from dating, too costly
Women are on social media complaining about this, and certainly not just in NYC.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Wether it is a sit-down place or street side grab&go food, price has gone up more than the reported 10% inflation. Is this related to the $15 minimum wage?
No, it is most related to SPENDING WITHOUT APPROPRIATE TAXATION for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City