Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 08:41 AM

31 posts, read 9,555 times

Advertisements

My grandfather was a welder in New York City for his whole life. It is disrespectful for anybody that has never done manual labor to comment and say that it is okay for illegal aliens who snuck over our border illegally to take our apprenticeships in these trades.

It is disgusting to say "Americans won't do hard work". It is disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 08:53 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
The welder could join a public union and bill 2x time remotely for 29 hours a day. And people wonder why the MTA never gets anything done on time?
Depending on the type of welding done, it is illegal for MTA to pay less than ~$58 an hour plus $30 an hour in benefits.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:54 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Robinson View Post
My grandfather was a welder in New York City for his whole life. It is disrespectful for anybody that has never done manual labor to comment and say that it is okay for illegal aliens who snuck over our border illegally to take our apprenticeships in these trades.

It is disgusting to say "Americans won't do hard work". It is disgusting.
Key point - your grandfather, but not you. There are less people becoming interested in trades skills in the US, so there is a huge shortage in those fields.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:05 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Key point - your grandfather, but not you. There are less people becoming interested in trades skills in the US, so there is a huge shortage in those fields.
This is true. I was having a conversation with a family member of mine who owns a trucking business and he told me that no one is interested in the fields of manual labor like welding or the trades. His exact words were “many young people want to be an Instagram or a tic tic star”

Old 08-25-2022, 09:13 AM

31 posts, read 9,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
This is true. I was having a conversation with a family member of mine who owns a trucking business and he told me that no one is interested in the fields of manual labor like welding or the trades. His exact words were “many young people want to be an Instagram or a tic tic star”
You are all being fooled by warring illegal aliens and their relatives who have completely invaded and stolen our trade industry. They have stolen and lied to New Yorkers so much that they believe and join in with perpetuating those lies.

There was no problem whatsoever in the trades of New York City until warring illegal aliens invaded.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:22 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Robinson View Post
You are all being fooled by warring illegal aliens and their relatives who have completely invaded and stolen our trade industry. They have stolen and lied to New Yorkers so much that they believe and join in with perpetuating those lies.

There was no problem whatsoever in the trades of New York City until warring illegal aliens invaded.
No one is interested in manual labor because use of illegals as labor has driven down wages.

Fixed that for you.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:32 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Scores of jobs have been decimated by illegals who will do work for pay that most self respecting American citizens wouldn't get out of bed to take a pi$$ for that kind of of money.

Pick an area; landscaping, house painting (indoors or out), "handyman", window washer, all sorts of construction, floor polisher/cleaners, janitorial services, etc.... All of it have seen wages decline because illegals and or those who will used them as labor put in low bids.

Passed a scaffolding going up and repointing work being done on a building in East 80's other morning. Every single GD person was Latino/Hispanic, work site was blasting machata music (this at 10 AM), and yapping to each other in Mexican.

It's a well known secret far as trades go unless job is federal or other government requiring union and restricted to those legally able to work in USA, tons of everything is is subbed to to guys that will hire illegals. It's the only way most of those bids make sense, they're paying half to one-third of union scale.

Lots of guys have left the trades, and their sons or other young people aren't following in those footsteps.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:12 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,031,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Depending on the type of welding done, it is illegal for MTA to pay less than ~$58 an hour plus $30 an hour in benefits.
I am being deliberately facetious about govt employee union workers sleeping on the job while claiming OT and 6 figure lifetime pensions.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:18 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,303 times
I paid my electrician $18K last week. I had to wait 2 weeks for him to start working. The job will take them at most 10 working days to be completed. His workers work 10 to 4pm. By 4:30 they are out the door.

I don't know why more people don't get into trades.

I am meeting with my plumber today. 2 months ago I paid him $3000 for 2 days worth of work.

If I could do it all over again I would go to school to become an electrician and form my own company.

If you are competent, reliable and professional you are making BANK in the trades!!!

Hiring illegals at home depot is like throwing your money in the wind. They are not reliable or skilled.

And sad to say many have drinking and drug problem. Good luck getting any productivity out of them after lunch.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:25 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,261,520 times
The trade unions, at least in NYC, were also politicized starting in the early 2Ks. There became, de facto, an affirmative action initiative for many trade unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City