Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 08:46 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What an asinine statement. Each of the five boroughs have neighborhoods that are a challenge to live in (including Queens) and plenty that are a joy to live in. Someone living in Brooklyn Heights, Dyker Heights, Bay Ridge, Mill Basin or Windsor Terrace is not dealing with quality of life issues like someone in East New York, Brownsville, Canarsie or Cypress Hills, and in The Bronx, someone living in Riverdale, Country Club, Edgewater Park, Morris Park, City Island, Pelham Gardens or Woodlawn is not dealing with quality of life issues like someone in Tremont, Mott Haven, Morrisania, University Heights, Morris Heights or Melrose.

That's like saying that someone in Forest Hills, Little Neck, Douglaston or Jamaica Estates should be running for the exits because of crime in Far Rockaway or Jamaica. I'm speaking as an outer borough resident and native "New Yawka".
I think tencent is talking about affordable neighborhoods, not the ultra expensive ones. It wasn’t that long ago that places like Jackson Heights, Woodhaven or even Canarsie were relatively safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 12:12 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,285,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I think tencent is talking about affordable neighborhoods, not the ultra expensive ones. It wasn’t that long ago that places like Jackson Heights, Woodhaven or even Canarsie were relatively safe.
I didn't get that from his comments.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:03 PM

8,365 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Parkchester! Totally livable (actually even if you are white, though that race has been vanishingly uncommon there in the past 50 years - but I have spotted a tallish 30ish strawberry blond dude daily commuter this summer; that you, Pierrepont?), can buy a unit for cheap (or rent it for not quite so cheap), and if you commute to/from Manhattan by express bus, you can stay entirely insulated from the rest of the Bronx & its crime.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Parkchester! Totally livable (actually even if you are white, though that race has been vanishingly uncommon there in the past 50 years - but I have spotted a tallish 30ish strawberry blond dude daily commuter this summer; that you, Pierrepont?), can buy a unit for cheap (or rent it for not quite so cheap), and if you commute to/from Manhattan by express bus, you can stay entirely insulated from the rest of the Bronx & its crime.
LOL I love how this thread has nothing to do with Parkchester and yet our spokesperson is at it as usual.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:51 PM

870 posts, read 413,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Parkchester is OK, but it is not crime-free.
Also in the Bronx skin color is not a factor, in many areas entire buildings are the United Nations, even in a really rough area, as long as you look like nobody can mess with you you'll be ok.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
Parkchester is OK, but it is not crime-free.
Also in the Bronx skin color is not a factor, in many areas entire buildings are the United Nations, even in a really rough area, as long as you look like nobody can mess with you you'll be ok.
Nowhere in NYC is crime-free, but in Parkchester you don't need to look like nobody can mess with you - plenty of old slow-moving folks and totally non-aggressive Bangladeshi families. Considering it's a no-pets condo complex, you do see an impressive number of young athletic dudes walking their emotional-support animal of choice, a pit bull. But that is the only potentially alarming sight

Old 08-29-2022, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
LOL I love how this thread has nothing to do with Parkchester and yet our spokesperson is at it as usual.
Sure, why not . And this thread DOES have to do with Parkchester too, and I wasn't the first to mention Parkchester in this thread. But you did not reply: are you that strawberry blond guy on BxM6 at rush hour??

Old 08-30-2022, 04:56 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Yeah bottom line to be safe in Brooklyn or Bronx you have to be a millionaire. You can afford to be safe in Queens.

Old 08-30-2022, 02:21 PM

870 posts, read 413,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
The Bronx and Brooklyn have always been in a tug of war. Which place is most dysfunctional? I lived in Clinton Hill briefly during the end of the Bloomberg era and still didn't feel safe. Not sure why people still move to either in droves, only to pay exorbitant prices to duck and dodge bullets.

I think the bottom line is many Americans simply value liberty and freedom above health and quality of life. If Queens ever becomes as violent as the other boroughs I'll probably have to leave this city for good.

I was born and raised in Queens but the day too many bullets start flying here I'll have to make some other city my home unfortunately. Queens is the only liveable place in the 5 boroughs, period!!!
I used to live in Bed-Stuy bordering Clinton Hill also at the end of the Bloomberg era, and before that in Crown heights bordering Prospect Heights (the hood at the time) and yet people kept flocking there.... Even to this day I don't understand the attraction for Bed Stuy and Crown heights, it is still bad, on a block by block basis. At the time the price was an attractive factor, but now what's the point??? Never in my part of the Bronx have I been awakened by gun battles, not the case back in Brooklyn. I've heard many newcomers at the time talking about how they literally got robbed and literally victimized by their attackers, like put up against the wall, put on their knees, women robbed at 7:00AM and so on...

Queens, I found out later, is indeed the best borough, Astoria the best neighborhood in my opinion.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
I used to live in Bed-Stuy bordering Clinton Hill also at the end of the Bloomberg era, and before that in Crown heights bordering Prospect Heights (the hood at the time) and yet people kept flocking there.... Even to this day I don't understand the attraction for Bed Stuy and Crown heights, it is still bad, on a block by block basis. At the time the price was an attractive factor, but now what's the point??? Never in my part of the Bronx have I been awakened by gun battles, not the case back in Brooklyn. I've heard many newcomers at the time talking about how they literally got robbed and literally victimized by their attackers, like put up against the wall, put on their knees, women robbed at 7:00AM and so on...

Queens, I found out later, is indeed the best borough, Astoria the best neighborhood in my opinion.
Likely for the housing stock. Bed Stuy has a ton of brownstones and those have been restored, some quite elaborately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City