Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 03:24 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times

Advertisements

he watched families around him disappear as past owners let the property fall into disrepair. Today, Reyes’ family is one of just a handful left in six occupied units of the ramshackle brick dwelling, where green boards and wooden slats cover what were once windows and doors.

...............and you are worried about developers moving in to displace you and your mom ?

The Red Flag was when family around you started leaving...........time to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 08:52 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,400,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yep--exactly. I was part of those people moving to Williamsburg in the early 2000's--I moved into a loft on Broadway and Wythe, looking at the Wburg Bridge in early 2001. Know what my rent for a private bedroom in the loft was--just $650/month. Then, my buddy and I moved about 6 mos later to a 2 bed loft on kent and north 8th (early 2002), and paid just $1600/month--and that raised to $1800 in early 2003.

I left that loft location in 2005, and my buddy lived there until moving out, in 2010. When he moved out, he paid just $2000, and then the landlord increased it to $4800, when he left. Today, it's probably going for at least 6 grand--it had a sweeping view of Manhattan from the living room.

Anyway, Williamsburg has the incredible amenity of being adjacent to Manhattan, and a 4 minute train ride away. That's what led to its explosive, rapid gentrification, from a no man's drug and prostitute land in the 90s/early 2000s, up to essentially the "Soho of Brooklyn" today (at least with its popularity, branding and housing prices).

East NY has several things going against it to have anything remotely close to Wburg's gentrification. First off is location so far from everything, and secondly, the low income of the area, and third, crime is higher than many other areas.
Exactly!

Old 08-29-2022, 09:13 AM

1,059 posts, read 548,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
he watched families around him disappear as past owners let the property fall into disrepair. Today, Reyes’ family is one of just a handful left in six occupied units of the ramshackle brick dwelling, where green boards and wooden slats cover what were once windows and doors.

...............and you are worried about developers moving in to displace you and your mom ?

The Red Flag was when family around you started leaving...........time to move on.
Maybe he wanted to and couldn't afford to?

Old 08-29-2022, 09:25 AM

1,059 posts, read 548,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I'd rather develop Sunset Park from 4th Ave to the waterfront than focus on ENY/Brownsville only because you have the Broadway BMT and the 6th Ave IND lines running local and express along 4th Ave and both lines take you to Downtown and Midtown providing a one-seat ride to those locations.

Fourth to Third Avenue is full of housing.
There was once more housing from Third to the water but the conversion of the elevated train to a highway led to abandonment and replacement by industrial facilities. There are a few streets west of Third that still have a good number of row houses though. [Detailed in The Power Broker by Robert Caro.] Development? Unpleasant to have to cross under the highway AND west of Third Avenue is a flood zone. But hasn't stopped some new building or building reconstructions on Third.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:30 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

The pervious poster was on point

"A DIFFERENT KIND OF GENTRIFICATION: WHY EAST NEW YORK ISN’T THE NEW BUSHWICK"

Bushwick, after all, still has greater proximity and ease of transportation to Manhattan than East New York does. (Seriously, the 3 just crawls through this borough on its way to New Lots.) Plus, Bushwick is close to other increasingly/already developed neighborhoods like Williamsburg and Bed-Stuy,

whereas East New York is far more isolated in that regard, bordered as it is by the similarly low-income, under-developed neighborhoods of Brownsville and Canarsie. Add to that the fact that the schools and many other public services are in disastrous shape and it doesn’t really seem like East New York is prime to experience the kind of gentrification that north Brooklyn has undergone in recent years.

https://www.bkmag.com/2014/09/30/a-d...-new-bushwick/
I am telling you from very personal experience that the people moving into Bed-Stuy and Bushwick nowadays don't care about Manhattan.

Williamsburg, Gowanus, and Bed-Stuy have everything they need and soon Bed-Stuy will be able to more than accommodate almost everything the gentrifiers need in Bushwick.

East NY gentrification is years away (it makes no sense until Bushwick becomes prohibitively expensive for young transplants) but if housing continues to be as big an issue as it is, it's almost inevitable.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:44 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksuit View Post
Williamsburg, sure. But no yuppie is moving to Jamaica unless maybe they're black and from the area.

And they're certainly not moving to East New York lol, no matter what real estate agents try to tell you.
I starting to see more Hispanics, Indian, Southeast Asians moving to Jamaica, Queens

Old 08-30-2022, 10:17 PM

837 posts, read 854,878 times
Quote:

The pervious poster was on point

"A DIFFERENT KIND OF GENTRIFICATION: WHY EAST NEW YORK ISN’T THE NEW BUSHWICK"

Bushwick, after all, still has greater proximity and ease of transportation to Manhattan than East New York does. (Seriously, the 3 just crawls through this borough on its way to New Lots.) Plus, Bushwick is close to other increasingly/already developed neighborhoods like Williamsburg and Bed-Stuy,

whereas East New York is far more isolated in that regard, bordered as it is by the similarly low-income, under-developed neighborhoods of Brownsville and Canarsie. Add to that the fact that the schools and many other public services are in disastrous shape and it doesn’t really seem like East New York is prime to experience the kind of gentrification that north Brooklyn has undergone in recent years.

https://www.bkmag.com/2014/09/30/a-d...-new-bushwick/
Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Navy Yard, DUMBO, Downtown Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights, Red Hook, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, Park Slope, Greenwood Heights, Sunset Park, and even Bay Ridge are the closest Brooklyn neighborhoods closest to the waterfront, and almost all of them (not sure about Bay Ridge), but all of those waterfront Brooklyn neighborhoods have great views of the Manhattan skyline, which is why they're the hottest neighborhoods and have the highest property values in Bklyn.

Southern Brooklyn neighborhoods like Bensonhurst, Gravesend, Midwood, Sheepshead Bay, Marine Park, and Mill Basin have waterfront properties, but there's no skyline, just beach, and the property values, while not the highest in the borough, are high enough and many of those neighborhoods cater to Brooklyn natives and immigrants. The central neighborhoods such as Bed Stuy, Crown Heights, and Flatbush are further away from the waterfront and therefore have a median property value in Brooklyn. Bed-Stuy's property values are higher because of the brownstones, while Crown Heights are more walk-up apartment buildings and tenements. Flatbush is a mix of private, stand alone homes and twin homes, tenements and apartment buildings from Nostrand to Flatbush and mostly twin and detached housing with some apartments east of Nostrand. I should know, as I lived in Flatbush for most of my early life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
Fourth to Third Avenue is full of housing.
There was once more housing from Third to the water but the conversion of the elevated train to a highway led to abandonment and replacement by industrial facilities. There are a few streets west of Third that still have a good number of row houses though. [Detailed in The Power Broker by Robert Caro.] Development? Unpleasant to have to cross under the highway AND west of Third Avenue is a flood zone. But hasn't stopped some new building or building reconstructions on Third.
It wouldn't surprise me if west of 3rd Ave (Gowanus Expwy) becomes developed the way Williamsburg and Greenpoint have their waterfronts developed. And when Williamsburg and Greenpoint become fully developed to the point where there's no space for development, if land values in NYC continue to rise, it wouldn't surprise me that Red Hook and Greenwood Heights and Sunset Park west of 3rd Ave becomes Brooklyn's new high and mid rise districts. And if the Bklyn-Queens light rail becomes a reality, then that could further speed up development in those areas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22XH4-nNjlA

Old 09-01-2022, 10:21 AM

562 posts, read 464,418 times
Quote:
In 2006-2008 a lot of people say Harlem, Downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg, Jamaica Queens was too ghetto now college grads, hipsters, people with money moving to area. Downtown Brooklyn these days look like baby Manhattan
Harlem is situated in a great part of the city. It's prime real estate.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:56 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
We use to always joke about Arlington village all over Brooklyn as the “unknown area”. Nobody knew the name of that complex. Nobody knew of any crews or gangs from there or anybody period lol.

When you drive by it always has the boarded up green windows. Honestly the area needs more housing so I support bulldozing this down and making perhaps a mid rise building

Old 09-04-2022, 07:40 PM

870 posts, read 414,500 times
Quote:
I starting to see more Hispanics, Indian, Southeast Asians moving to Jamaica, Queens
There are many many many of the aforementioned groups in Jamaica nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City