Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 07:36 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times

Advertisements

I bank with Bank of America and that's one of my biggest dreads with that bank: Having to take out money when there is a homeless person using the vestibule. Hopefully, by them locking the ATM, the homeless won't have any access. People should not be using the ATM at that time of night unless they want to be a victim of a robbery anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 07:36 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
NYC is still a very cash intensive city relative to the rest of the country.
No it's not. You don't need cash for taxis, parking meters, tolls, transit, and other things once long ago required cash.

Only reason retail in NYC cannot ditch cash is because that Ritchie Torres got a bug up his behind about cashless society and got laws passed forcing places to accommodate.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:40 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There are very few if any 24/pharmacies any more. Cannot think of one in Manhattan or Staten Island. Duane Reade, CVS and other places long since stopped that service. You might find a store open late or overnight, but pharmacy has set hours. For that matter you don't find many 24/7 Rite Aid, DR, CVS or whatever places anymore either. Most close by 11PM or 2AM, this despite what listed store hours are online which aren't updated.

As for ATM or banks in general cannot think of anyone <50 who makes routine visits. Checks ranging from pay to whatever are deposited electronically. Many <50 long since stopped carrying cash in favor of credit, charge or debit cards. Days of having to stop at an ATM to get cash while out on town for night by and large long have ended. Well maybe if bar hopping and want to leave tips in cash.

In general banks have been closing or shrinking locations in city for years as more and more transactions are online. Look around... Once you couldn't fling a dead cat without hitting a bank branch, they were like Rite Aid type stores, every single block was infested. Now many places have closed and more are coming as banks slim down to face new reality.
There are quite a bit 24 hour pharmacies in Manhattan

Old 08-30-2022, 07:41 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
I was just answering your question people like the convenience & it’s most likely why it took them so long.

My pharmacy is 24/7
Mine too

Old 08-30-2022, 07:43 PM

562 posts, read 463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I bank with Bank of America and that's one of my biggest dreads with that bank: Having to take out money when there is a homeless person using the vestibule. Hopefully, by them locking the ATM, the homeless won't have any access. People should not be using the ATM at that time of night unless they want to be a victim of a robbery anyway.
NYC has the resources to house every single homeless NYC resident, but the administration has chosen to allocate nearly 300 M/year to shelter illegal immigrants. It's a travesty, that NYC residents are sleeping in the subway and inside of bank atm stations, instead of hotels, like the "asylum seekers."

Old 08-30-2022, 07:45 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Quote:
I always have cash on me lol also have friends in the restaurant industry and they prefer cash tips over card
Biden hired irs agents for this exact reason. Cash tips untraced. Curious to see how it plays out.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:47 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,394,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No it's not. You don't need cash for taxis, parking meters, tolls, transit, and other things once long ago required cash.

Only reason retail in NYC cannot ditch cash is because that Ritchie Torres got a bug up his behind about cashless society and got laws passed forcing places to accommodate.
A lot of places have card minimums. Who wants to buy random things so they can make the 5-10 dollar minimum for a card when you can just use cash. That’s one example of how cash is an incentive. Even the nail salons now charge an extra $3 for using a card. So many women come in with cash.

Card is great if you’ve picked a credit card with a good point system. That way the fees balance out the rewards

Old 08-30-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Biden hired irs agents for this exact reason. Cash tips untraced. Curious to see how it plays out.
They’re gonna stop people from using cash at restaurants due to this? Don’t think so..

Old 08-30-2022, 07:51 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Quote:
They’re gonna stop people from using cash at restaurants due to this? Don’t think so..
They won’t stop people tipping cash that’s legal and I never said that. You made that up. People receiving cash tips not reporting their income But The bank reporting their cash flow requirements to Car payments , mortgages , insurance , credit card payments utitlites all Come from bank accounts. Irs will be watching on cash flow inconsistencies. Let’s be real.

Ask your friends if they report their cash tips. It’s tax fraud.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Yes based on bank reporting requirements. Car payments , mortgages , insurance , credit card payments utitlites all Come from bank accounts. Irs will be watching on cash flow inconsistencies.
I don’t understand your comment. No one can make someone use a card over cash when they are at a restaurant paying for food. When that happens PM me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City