Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 07:19 AM

1,063 posts, read 543,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway14393730 View Post
The subsidized housing does have parking ramp attached to the building for 60/month I believe
This is an important point! If you already own a car and wanted to bring it to NYC that's a big argument towards the subsidized housing. If no car or you want to get rid of it before your move, then maybe the Manhattan option makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 12:05 PM

61 posts, read 38,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
This is an important point! If you already own a car and wanted to bring it to NYC that's a big argument towards the subsidized housing. If no car or you want to get rid of it before your move, then maybe the Manhattan option makes sense.
I actually had the preference of getting rid of it. Having it around seems like a liability (getting it stolen, losing the catalytic converter) regardless if I end up in Manhattan or Bronx. I really wanted to come to NYC because it had the best public transport in the country I heard.

Old 09-11-2022, 02:13 PM

1,063 posts, read 543,534 times
Quote:
I actually had the preference of getting rid of it. Having it around seems like a liability (getting it stolen, losing the catalytic converter) regardless if I end up in Manhattan or Bronx. I really wanted to come to NYC because it had the best public transport in the country I heard.
Yes, good idea

Old 09-11-2022, 02:39 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,183 times
Quote:
$60/month is practically free. You'd be a fool to not take advantage.

"Best public transport in the country" will start to eat away at your patience real quick.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:48 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,124,944 times
NYC is a hard place to make friends. It's not like the TV show "Friends." Apartments dwellers are private people. You will hardly meet them. Hanging out in bars? Still not great.

These are coworkers will be your friend/support group. Most of your coworkers will be in your employer's subsidized housing by the hospital. Why wouldn't you want to join them?

Old 09-12-2022, 09:11 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,397,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
NYC is a hard place to make friends. It's not like the TV show "Friends." Apartments dwellers are private people. You will hardly meet them. Hanging out in bars? Still not great.

These are coworkers will be your friend/support group. Most of your coworkers will be in your employer's subsidized housing by the hospital. Why wouldn't you want to join them?
Not true at all.
Nothing is like it is on the TV but finding friends isn’t hard. Not if you’re social & open to meeting new people. There are so many events to pick from depending on your niche. You’re into playing board games? There’s a group of people who meet and are into that. You’re into working out/bike riding? There’s a group/club for that for you to join.

Don’t let the negative folks on here trick you into thinking otherwise this is NYC

Old 09-13-2022, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

Completely understand. I have heard mix things about thr dynamic in the subsidized housing. For some departments, everyone actually end up hanging out in Manhattan, and the Bronx housing can get super lonely. But its very dependent on department. I've heard others say the exact opposite, so it's hard to say how it will fall.

During grad school, I tried to do the same and despite my attempts to live close to the hospital, almost no one chose that housing. I'm really just trying to focus on what's good for me personally.

I find it very frustrating that the hospital scrubs the internet of any pictures of the housing. There's barely an interior pic. These are the only pictures of I have of the housing.

https://www.einsteinmed.edu/departme...icine/housing/

Old 09-13-2022, 05:27 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,183 times
Quote:
Completely understand. I have heard mix things about thr dynamic in the subsidized housing. For some departments, everyone actually end up hanging out in Manhattan, and the Bronx housing can get super lonely. But its very dependent on department. I've heard others say the exact opposite, so it's hard to say how it will fall.

During grad school, I tried to do the same and despite my attempts to live close to the hospital, almost no one chose that housing. I'm really just trying to focus on what's good for me personally.

I find it very frustrating that the hospital scrubs the internet of any pictures of the housing. There's barely an interior pic. These are the only pictures of I have of the housing.

https://www.einsteinmed.edu/departme...icine/housing/
The housing is fine. I doubt Montefiore is in business with a slumlord.

The ultimate question is if you're willing to trade money and freedom for convenience then live in the city. If you believe that the extra $1500/month will bring you more value then choose the subsidized housing.

Personally I think you're vastly overestimating how much value having a car holds in NYC. Most young transplants don't have cars not because they don't want one but because they can't afford one.

Further, if one of your goals is having friendships/relationships then a car and guaranteed parking will make you a hero amongst your transplant cohort.

Old 09-13-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
The housing is fine. I doubt Montefiore is in business with a slumlord.

The ultimate question is if you're willing to trade money and freedom for convenience then live in the city. If you believe that the extra $1500/month will bring you more value then choose the subsidized housing.

Personally I think you're vastly overestimating how much value having a car holds in NYC. Most young transplants don't have cars not because they don't want one but because they can't afford one.

Further, if one of your goals is having friendships/relationships then a car and guaranteed parking will make you a hero amongst your transplant cohort.
Even young Manhattan transplants? I've heard it's not worth it at all to have one in Manhattan

Old 09-13-2022, 08:50 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,124,944 times
Quote:
Even young Manhattan transplants? I've heard it's not worth it at all to have one in Manhattan
No, cars are prized possessions.

NYC's summer heat is oppressive. The sun beats down on the blacktop road surfaces and heats up the air. The tall buildings block airflow. Subways stations don't have air-conditioning. Between the closely packed people and heat from the locomotive engines, subways are significantly hotter than the streets. If it's 90 degrees outside, it's at least 100 degrees on the platforms.

You'll sweat through your shirts and be a mess by the time you get to the office - another reason to live close to work.

A car to escape for a day in summer is heavenly! A trip to NJ or Long Island beaches will be very much welcomed.

If you have a car, you'll find ways to use it! If not, you're friends will help you find reasons to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City