Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 08:10 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,614,141 times

Advertisements

OPP here's what it really comes down to. Do you plan on going out a lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 01:16 AM

61 posts, read 38,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
OPP here's what it really comes down to. Do you plan on going out a lot?

I don't need access to tons of bars but would like good coffee shops, good grab and go places and grocery stores. I'm used to being in a very walkable area with lots of restaurants and things to do in my current city. I also would like to sight see and explore on the weekends

Old 09-06-2022, 01:43 AM

61 posts, read 38,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
IIRC this poster has complained about subway safety and lives in a bad area of The Bronx, so I am not sure how she is claiming now that there is nothing wrong with the subway. You are not poor, so why would you subject yourself to a crappy, depressing commute into the worst areas of The Bronx? Riverdale is suburban yes, but it is very safe and it is actually highly regarded. One of the few upper class areas of The Bronx with very very low crime. In fact because it is so hilly, it is pretty much isolated from the rest of The Bronx. You should pay it a visit before writing it off. Norwood I understand, as the amenities suck. The properties that Montefiore owns around there are ok, but I would not live there.

I guess what I am curious about is are you planning on staying here long-term? If you so, wouldn't you prefer to save money and be able to BUY something eventually rather than spending a large chunk of your money in rent?
Not quite sure yet. I would like to stay for long term, but heard things have been so expensive in the real estate market. Wondering if I will ever be able to buy

Old 09-06-2022, 09:45 AM

5,683 posts, read 2,614,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway14393730 View Post
I don't need access to tons of bars but would like good coffee shops, good grab and go places and grocery stores. I'm used to being in a very walkable area with lots of restaurants and things to do in my current city. I also would like to sight see and explore on the weekends
Me personally I would take the cheap rent for a year and then decide where I wanted to live.

If you have no issue taking the train 5 days to work, then taking the train on weekends to sight see shouldn't be an issue.

As far as grocery shopping what many of us do is buy our groceries and hop on the train with them. Or do delivery service.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:51 AM

2,624 posts, read 1,222,031 times
Yes you can live here on that salary, but it would likely be very miserable

Old 09-06-2022, 10:45 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway14393730 View Post
Not quite sure yet. I would like to stay for long term, but heard things have been so expensive in the real estate market. Wondering if I will ever be able to buy
You can buy if you don't overspend in rent. Your salary is good enough that you should be able to put away some money if you spend wisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Yes you can live here on that salary, but it would likely be very miserable
What a ridiculous comment. His take home pay should be north of $4,500 a month. Even if he does spend $2500 in rent, that still leaves $2000 - 2200 a month for whatever. Personally, I would go with cheaper rent and max it out at $2000, this way he would have $2600 - 2700 to play with. The biggest expense here is housing. Once you have that covered, you're pretty much golden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Me personally I would take the cheap rent for a year and then decide where I wanted to live.

If you have no issue taking the train 5 days to work, then taking the train on weekends to sight see shouldn't be an issue.

As far as grocery shopping what many of us do is buy our groceries and hop on the train with them. Or do delivery service.
Yeah, if he doesn't want to schlepp on the subway, he can have things delivered.

Old 09-06-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:

What a ridiculous comment. His take home pay should be north of $4,500 a month. Even if he does spend $2500 in rent, that still leaves $2000 - 2200 a month for whatever. Personally, I would go with cheaper rent and max it out at $2000, this way he would have $2600 - 2700 to play with. The biggest expense here is housing. Once you have that covered, you're pretty much golden.
A lot of the appeal for NYC are doing things that involve spending money. It is a city for the rich now, and if you are not pulling in over 200k a year, you will not have the best experience of the city.

Old 09-06-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
A lot of the appeal for NYC are doing things that involve spending money. It is a city for the rich now, and if you are not pulling in over 200k a year, you will not have the best experience of the city.
It's hilarious because you obviously don't live here. I can assure you that the vast majority of New Yorkers don't pull in even $100k, let alone over $200k. The average per capita income is around $76,000 in NYC.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-in-new-york/

That's a far cry from over $200k. A small percentage of New Yorkers earn over $200k. As an example, my ex-girlfriend and I combined earned over $200k and that was a few years ago pre pandemic (salaries have increased since) and we did not want for anything. We shopped at Whole Foods, Fairway, Citarella, etc. She went out every weekend with her friends, etc. We are both foodies, so we spend a lot in quality food, but entertainment in general. Going to see plays and other events, we never worried about money and she lives in Manhattan.

Not only that, but there are lots of things in NYC that are FREE if you know where to look. Unless you are living it up and spending hundreds of dollars partying every weekend, I really don't see where your comments are coming from. lol

Old 09-06-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
It's hilarious because you obviously don't live here. I can assure you that the vast majority of New Yorkers don't pull in even $100k, let alone over $200k. The average per capita income is around $76,000 in NYC.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-in-new-york/

That's a far cry from over $200k. A small percentage of New Yorkers earn over $200k. As an example, my ex-girlfriend and I combined earned over $200k and that was a few years ago pre pandemic (salaries have increased since) and we did not want for anything. We shopped at Whole Foods, Fairway, Citarella, etc. She went out every weekend with her friends, etc. We are both foodies, so we spend a lot in quality food, but entertainment in general. Going to see plays and other events, we never worried about money and she lives in Manhattan.

Not only that, but there are lots of things in NYC that are FREE if you know where to look. Unless you are living it up and spending hundreds of dollars partying every weekend, I really don't see where your comments are coming from. lol
Yes you can live in NYC for far less, but all the things that are world class about NYC are the big money coming in. NYC has free stuff, but let's be real, there's a reason why a lot of that stuff is free.

Unless you got dough, there's nothing great or special about this place. Unless you want to settle for mediocrity, which many people in NYC do just to feel "special" about having a NYC address on their ID.

Old 09-06-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Yes you can live in NYC for far less, but all the things that are world class about NYC are the big money coming in. NYC has free stuff, but let's be real, there's a reason why a lot of that stuff is free.

Unless you got dough, there's nothing great or special about this place. Unless you want to settle for mediocrity, which many people in NYC do just to feel "special" about having a NYC address on their ID.
You keep talking about "all the things that are world class about NYC " cost so much, but you are providing no specifics, so what exactly are you referring to? Restaurants? Nightlife? Yes, I eat out regularly, which is why I spend what I spend in food, but you don't need $200k for that. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City