Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2022, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 514 times

Advertisements

My parents own a house in fresh meadows and I am thinking about living there but I hate the commute to the city from there. I used to live in Flushing so an hour commute isn’t too bad for me but fresh meadows add some time to that commute. Plus the bus near that route is only part time. Another option is to drive to the Lirr but parking sounds like a pain especially during rush hour. I have the option to sell the house and buy one with a better commute route but not sure if that’s worth the cost.

Anyone in the Fresh Meadow area commute to the city? How long is your commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 11:47 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemony_112 View Post
My parents own a house in fresh meadows and I am thinking about living there but I hate the commute to the city from there. I used to live in Flushing so an hour commute isn’t too bad for me but fresh meadows add some time to that commute. Plus the bus near that route is only part time. Another option is to drive to the Lirr but parking sounds like a pain especially during rush hour. I have the option to sell the house and buy one with a better commute route but not sure if that’s worth the cost.

There are plenty of options from Fresh Meadows. Express buses along Union Turnpike or drive to the LIRR.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:53 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,837,927 times
I used to commute to the city from Jamaica Estates (which is 5-10 mins bus ride from Fresh Meadows with Q17 or Q76) it took me around 45 mins by F train to Bryant Park or by E train to E 53rd St subway station.

Last edited by someoneinqueens; 09-08-2022 at 10:16 AM..

Old 09-09-2022, 12:52 AM

787 posts, read 485,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemony_112 View Post

Can't say I know nowadays the quickest way via bus and/or subway from FM into Manhattan, but I did the commute from the Bayside LIRR for many, many years. If you get the express it was about 17 mins in to Penn which was amazing. And yes, the parking was awful but parking 5 or 6 blocks away + the 17 min commute was still worth it. You could also drive to Douglaston which isn't too much further away. The parking situation over there is a little bit better.

Now, as for having a "house to sell," hell yea! Dude, take that money and run. Houses in FM have to be at least starting near $1M these days. And I'd move quick. With the economy headed into a recession along with the big increase in crime in that area, primarily due to the hotel near 188st housing people from rikers along with homeless, it may be harder to get rid of your house in a year or so from now at top dollar. Sadly, FM's reputation is taking a big hit the last couple of years. The recent shooting along 188st didn't help either. This was unheard of back in the day.

https://qns.com/2022/07/nypd-reward-...irl-paralyzed/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City