Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 09:21 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Singapore is just back offices and banks for American and European companies focus on Asia- Pacific market such as Japan, China, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Malaysia, South Korea, India etc.
A global financial center can only be in a country that can, at minimum, defend itself and more often than not, project power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2022, 12:49 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,031,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Overstating things with London, and way, *way* overstating things with Belfast in terms of things moving there as well as military checkpoints.
I made the comparison to London for several reasons.

A. London is the largest and closest foreign city to NYC . Many Brits live in NYC and vice versa.

B. London is also a major financial center their canary wharf is like a smaller version of Wall St. It used to be larger but is living on faded glory.

C. London is in a real estate bubble just like NYC. Prices were bid up by slush fund cash buyers of questionnable legality again just like NYC.

D. London is run by liberals who believe in free welfare and illegal immigration rights. But once you leave the city the people are very conservative. Again just like NYC vs upstate.

They voted for Brexit after all. Twice This shocked the liberals, minority welfare queens and wealthy bankers who wanted to remain in the EU.

E. Sanctions are hitting the corrupt cash buyers of real estate hard. These sanctions are aimed at Russia due to the ongoing war. Same just like NYC. I'm actually glad the govts are seizing the properties of these war criminals instead of letting them get a free pass. The lawyers and bankers who are hiding the money are getting arrested and being stripped of their licenses ( see Credit Suisse).

F. Belfast comparison was a but over dramatic I admit. But there's still a lot of tension there. You cannot even go into some Irish bars in NYC and order a Newcastle or other English beers without getting asked to leave.

Last edited by Tiredofnyclife; 10-16-2022 at 01:00 PM..

Old 10-16-2022, 01:32 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
A global financial center can only be in a country that can, at minimum, defend itself and more often than not, project power.
This^^, exactly.

A city like Dubai or Singapore have countries that are way too small and have way too little influence or natural resources--and they lack the military to defend themselves. Overall, just way too risky and unstable. And also, Dubai's location is far too close to many unstable countries that are a hair's risk away from war.

New York City will continue to lead globally in the near future I would imagine.

Or, a city in the United States--or even in Canada--maybe in Europe. Countries that are stable, strong and not at risk by extreme religious group takeovers, a coup, etc.

Old 10-16-2022, 05:33 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Singapore is just back offices and banks for American and European companies focus on Asia- Pacific market such as Japan, China, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Malaysia, South Korea, India etc.
Singapore does have that, but it is a lot more than that. The country itself essentially has major investments in Southeast Asia as well as elsewhere. It essentially operates as the financial center for Southeast Asia due to its perceived and actual stability and rule of law, but it's an odd one where the country itself owns, often somewhat indirectly through Temasek, major business operations throughout the region. However, it's grown to the point where Temasek and private corporations now actually have substantial operations abroad outside of southeast Asia and so has set up back offices in America and European countries. They're in a pretty good position, but Singapore's small size and the resurgence of protectionism sometimes geared towards Chinese ethnic groups sometimes geared specifically towards Singaporeans will be a continual issue, and it's unlikely there will be an integrated single market for the region in the near future or perhaps ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
I made the comparison to London for several reasons.

A. London is the largest and closest foreign city to NYC . Many Brits live in NYC and vice versa.

B. London is also a major financial center their canary wharf is like a smaller version of Wall St. It used to be larger but is living on faded glory.

C. London is in a real estate bubble just like NYC. Prices were bid up by slush fund cash buyers of questionnable legality again just like NYC.

D. London is run by liberals who believe in free welfare and illegal immigration rights. But once you leave the city the people are very conservative. Again just like NYC vs upstate.

They voted for Brexit after all. Twice This shocked the liberals, minority welfare queens and wealthy bankers who wanted to remain in the EU.

E. Sanctions are hitting the corrupt cash buyers of real estate hard. These sanctions are aimed at Russia due to the ongoing war. Same just like NYC. I'm actually glad the govts are seizing the properties of these war criminals instead of letting them get a free pass. The lawyers and bankers who are hiding the money are getting arrested and being stripped of their licenses ( see Credit Suisse).

F. Belfast comparison was a but over dramatic I admit. But there's still a lot of tension there. You cannot even go into some Irish bars in NYC and order a Newcastle or other English beers without getting asked to leave.

I don't compare why you made the comparison to London or what your take on politics are. You overstated things with London, and way, *way* overstated things with Belfast in terms of things moving there as well as military checkpoints. That's it.

Old 10-16-2022, 07:15 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This^^, exactly.

A city like Dubai or Singapore have countries that are way too small and have way too little influence or natural resources--and they lack the military to defend themselves. Overall, just way too risky and unstable. And also, Dubai's location is far too close to many unstable countries that are a hair's risk away from war.

New York City will continue to lead globally in the near future I would imagine.

Or, a city in the United States--or even in Canada--maybe in Europe. Countries that are stable, strong and not at risk by extreme religious group takeovers, a coup, etc.

Well done.......What you see is what you get............

As far a visionaries:
Anybody can study all the effects of politics, human behavior,geography and even to the brilliant bachelor in
subdisciplines of political science, in the end, its always a guessing game.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 10-16-2022 at 07:26 PM..

Old 10-16-2022, 07:23 PM

809 posts, read 469,544 times
Quote:
San Francisco Bay Area home to Uber, Apple, Google, Adobe, Facebook, Zoom, Airbnb, Intel, PayPal, Lyft, Nvidia graphics cards, AMD graphic cards they are major player in United States and global level.

Greater Seattle is lesser to degree but still major player as well with Microsoft, Amazon, Nintendo.
A few things to note: these companies are pretty much required to have investor meetings in New York. If they're publicly traded, New York via Wall Street still has a definitive say on how things operate.

Old 10-16-2022, 07:28 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
A few things to note: these companies are pretty much required to have investor meetings in New York. If they're publicly traded, New York via Wall Street still has a definitive say on how things operate.

........and pray that none of them ever ,ever, gets mugged.

Old 10-16-2022, 07:33 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
........and pray that none of them ever ,ever, gets mugged.
San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle have some sketchy characters as well

Old 10-17-2022, 01:31 AM

2,341 posts, read 2,291,397 times
I took a closer look at this list and their findings are… strange. They have LA, which really isn’t much of a financial center, listed at #7 above Chicago, Boston, and Paris. What really blows my mind though is how they have Tokyo at #16 on their list. In my mind, it’s clearly #3 behind NYC and London. Nothing else really comes close to Tokyo even, and they’re saying it’s #16?

Old 10-17-2022, 04:45 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I took a closer look at this list and their findings are… strange. They have LA, which really isn’t much of a financial center, listed at #7 above Chicago, Boston, and Paris. What really blows my mind though is how they have Tokyo at #16 on their list. In my mind, it’s clearly #3 behind NYC and London. Nothing else really comes close to Tokyo even, and they’re saying it’s #16?
Los Angeles have Financial District, Hollywood, Silicon Beach Valley home to 500 or more tech startups like SpaceX, Hulu streaming service, busiest shipping port in the country. LA have more global influence than Chicago after NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City