Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 02:03 PM

16,255 posts, read 7,007,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
It’s ridiculous that these transplants are being herded by these media companies to neighborhood that advertises best in the world is simply selling them a mini disneyworld. Ridgewood was mostly immigrant and now being gentrified because of the media sold it as top 5 in the world?

They list should instead say “Top 5 neighborhoods that are profitable for developers.”

I only read TimeOut for the classifieds so, I never bothered with their articles.
Well done.
Emphasis on my opinion.

Ridgewood was a beautiful Neighborhood for many decades. Irish ,Italians,Germans.........
mostly European and Catholic. Then they left
and the neighborhood went downhill.

Developers have always used the media to push the individual towards the cool spot.
Investors purchase land on the cheap.
Next is the media hype........tied to investors/investments.
Young adults come with a promise of good things to come.
They come with good jobs. Good jobs stabilizes the neighborhood.
The investors build quickly drawing even more young adults with good jobs.

They don't tell you that % of buildings need to be appropriated to the impoverished.
They don't tell you rezoning districts and spill overs from crime ridden neighborhoods
as an equity plan between city and investors are coming.
They don't tell you many things.
It's all about the money.
Never about you.

You are their seed.
They plant you.
They grow you.
They pick the fruit off you.

Then they leave.............

Takeaway? Don't be a fruit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 04:11 PM

37,366 posts, read 39,793,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
What’s sad is that Ridgewood is just a blue collar town where a lot of immigrants moved to because it was affordable compared to most of Queens and Brooklyn. It was unwanted by most NYers because who wants to see and live near cemetery. This is what I find repulsive or cringy is that so many transplants live around cemeteries around NYC. The places most NYers would not want to be around.

Anytime a town is getting buzz, I know it’s the developers that are pushing it because they were the ones buying up the cheap land and putting in big apts and attracting businesses there. But I’m not gonna fall for that because the geography of Ridgewood and Williamsburg area is not the best.

So I get the hype but calling Ridgewood like the top 4th place in the world is like dissing great cities like Tokyo, Shanghai, Miami, etc. Because those places are no longer marketable or have any new development.

I used to live in LIC and I think that place was great until it got over hyped and become another transplant Mecca. Transplants destroy the livelihood of neighborhoods, soon the pot smoke, noise, and craziness pollutes the neighborhood.
You're probably taking this a bit too seriously. This supposedly was a survey, and it's likely there was a push to get Ridgewood rated up there whether pushed by developers or otherwise. It's definitely a neighborhood that has a lot of young people and nightlife, but it doesn't take anything away from Tokyo, Shanghai, or Miami (I think it's hilarious to put this alongside Tokyo and Shanghai). I'm also skeptical of the developer angle though not of the idea that it's astroturfed to get more eyes and interest in it. Ridgewood has large historic districts, lots of family apartments/buildings, very little vacant brownfield lots from destroyed buildings, nor all that much in industrial to be redeveloped. Real estate agents, maybe? People who own businesses there?

LIC is a weird example. That place was primarily industrial and there wasn't much of a local community to consider. It was also one of the few places where there were large plots of land in very close proximity to Midtown to build out of. It's a lot of Midtown working professionals and sometimes their families, so the idea that it was hyped to be "cool" is pretty odd.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-13-2022 at 04:32 PM..

Old 10-13-2022, 07:35 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,452,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You're probably taking this a bit too seriously. This supposedly was a survey, and it's likely there was a push to get Ridgewood rated up there whether pushed by developers or otherwise. It's definitely a neighborhood that has a lot of young people and nightlife, but it doesn't take anything away from Tokyo, Shanghai, or Miami (I think it's hilarious to put this alongside Tokyo and Shanghai). I'm also skeptical of the developer angle though not of the idea that it's astroturfed to get more eyes and interest in it. Ridgewood has large historic districts, lots of family apartments/buildings, very little vacant brownfield lots from destroyed buildings, nor all that much in industrial to be redeveloped. Real estate agents, maybe? People who own businesses there?

LIC is a weird example. That place was primarily industrial and there wasn't much of a local community to consider. It was also one of the few places where there were large plots of land in very close proximity to Midtown to build out of. It's a lot of Midtown working professionals and sometimes their families, so the idea that it was hyped to be "cool" is pretty odd.
He’s taking it way too seriously.. it ain’t that deep. Not like they are getting extra funding due to this lol

Old 10-13-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:

You're probably taking this a bit too seriously.
Disagree ...........It is worthy of serious discussion.

It is normal for people to put faith in word of mouth .

It could be a restaurant, a stock, a parcel of land.

It's called trust and many bad people take advantage of this good nature.

When the media runs the story immediately question what layer
of the pyramid ( scheme ) downline would you be entering.
My opinion.
Layer 1,2 .......or lowly layer 11 ?
The media is powerful enough to sway voters..........why not real estate?

Glad posters speak up and tell their side of the real Ridgewood.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 10-13-2022 at 08:31 PM..

Old 10-13-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Not shocked someone is coming in here with negativity.
If they would have mentioned Forest Hills or Rego Park it probably would have been positive posting.......but Ridgewood? Please....not anytime soon.

It was once a great mostly European neighborhood. Born there ,raised there, got the T-Shirt.
Down hill ever since they left.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 10-13-2022 at 08:30 PM..

Old 10-13-2022, 08:34 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,452,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
If they would have mentioned Forest Hills or Rego Park it probably would have been positive posting.......but Ridgewood? Please....not anytime soon.

It was once a great mostly European neighborhood. Born there ,raised there, got the T-Shirt.
Down hill ever since they left.
When was the last time you were even there?

Old 10-14-2022, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
When was the last time you were even there?

There often....Why do you ask ?

Old 10-14-2022, 05:15 AM

Quote:

very little vacant brownfield lots from destroyed buildings, nor all that much in industrial to be redeveloped.

Never stopped anybody before....
When developers run out of space around them they turn to the space above them
Same game. Different gimmick. Hi Rise Apartments......Oooooh... Wow. Chance of a lifetime.....
Draw the people. Sell them the property.

Next: Abandoned Yachts.....................

Old 10-14-2022, 09:44 AM

17 posts, read 15,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
I'm from Ridgewood. I always loved that neighborhood, mainly because it feels like a Brooklyn neighborhood even though its in Queens.
Very interesting.

Old 10-14-2022, 03:32 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,400,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
I'm from Ridgewood. I always loved that neighborhood, mainly because it feels like a Brooklyn neighborhood even though its in Queens.
That's exactly how I feel about Ridgewood. That's probably why I like going there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City