Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 05:31 AM

1,055 posts, read 546,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Updating my old thread for a recycling issue. DSNY just came by and took my paper recycling that was in a blue recycling bag but left glass and plastic recycling which was next to it also in a blue bag so they couldn’t have missed it. Why would they leave it? It had two plastic bottles and a glass bottle which could be seen through the blue bag. I don’t understand why they would leave it.
Why would you even put out a bag with only three items in it? Why would you call them to come back for it? Just save it until next week, or the week after, when it's full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2023, 05:39 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,079,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
Why would you even put out a bag with only three items in it? Why would you call them to come back for it? Just save it until next week, or the week after, when it's full.
I don’t hoard trash. As far as I know there is no minimum size for recycling collection and gallon containers are not exactly small.

Old 01-27-2023, 05:48 AM

Quote:
I don’t hoard trash. As far as I know there is no minimum size for recycling collection and gallon containers are not exactly small.
It's rinsed out (I assume) plastic. Not anything that is going to attract vermin. If I were the truck that came back I would leave it there again.

Old 01-27-2023, 05:56 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
There is a garden apartment complex near me which has its trash picked up from dumpsters by DSNY. The complex has a parking area and special DSNY trucks empty the dumpsters and then they back out of the complex with a worker in the street guiding the truck.
Have seen similar on Staten Island and IIRC also some NYCHA projects do same.

But again we're talking about a special truck able to deal with dumpsters.

Have seen ASL trucks doing trash collection in other parts of USA or world. Makes far more sense and those trucks can handle wheelie bins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va9B8vEb74s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PXdusqQ_Mg

Old 01-27-2023, 06:02 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have seen similar on Staten Island and IIRC also some NYCHA projects do same.

But again we're talking about a special truck able to deal with dumpsters.

Have seen ASL trucks doing trash collection in other parts of USA or world. Makes far more sense and those trucks can handle wheelie bins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va9B8vEb74s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PXdusqQ_Mg
This is how my trash is picked up in NJ. HUGE breath of fresh air after a lifetime in NYC.

When my can got hit by some POS driver, the garbage pickup guy got me a new one - the same day.

I don’t have any particular beef with nyc sanitation, but it definitely is a service to be TOLERATED as opposed to respected. Here, the trash pick up is laudable.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-27-2023, 06:18 AM

Quote:
It's rinsed out (I assume) plastic. Not anything that is going to attract vermin. If I were the truck that came back I would leave it there again.
Nice to know you are not a truck.

Old 01-27-2023, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This is how my trash is picked up in NJ. HUGE breath of fresh air after a lifetime in NYC.

When my can got hit by some POS driver, the garbage pickup guy got me a new one - the same day.

I don’t have any particular beef with nyc sanitation, but it definitely is a service to be TOLERATED as opposed to respected. Here, the trash pick up is laudable.
A big advantage of those cans is that the recyclables aren't bagged up. If you tour the recycling plant on the Sunset Park waterfront (which has participated in Open House NY weekend) they talk about how one of their biggest technological challenges was figuring out how to get the plastic from the bags separated from the paper, plastic, metal and glass in the bags.

Unfortunately, it's physically impossible space wise to use those trucks in most of the city.

Old 01-27-2023, 06:34 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Quote:
A big advantage of those cans is that the recyclables aren't bagged up. If you tour the recycling plant on the Sunset Park waterfront (which has participated in Open House NY weekend) they talk about how one of their biggest technological challenges was figuring out how to get the plastic from the bags separated from the paper, plastic, metal and glass in the bags.

Unfortunately, it's physically impossible space wise to use those trucks in most of the city.
Recycling is separate here. It’s a private company, and only bi-weekly. They’re actually more anal than in the city, but do come on time every other week because otherwise the company would be fired. I’m sure a lot of people take advantage of the green can to just toss everything in, but I try to still recycle everything appropriately.

I get it about the trucks, but maybe the city should think about using them where they can. My neighborhood isn’t all that different than the most residential parts of the city. It would free up a ton of sanmen to work the tougher areas. My whole neighborhood is finished in about 2 hours, with one guy.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-27-2023, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Nice to know you are not a truck.
See what I wrote about the recycling plant. The fewer plastic bags in the stream, the better.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
See what I wrote about the recycling plant. The fewer plastic bags in the stream, the better.
The city decided to recycle and how to do it, I didn’t make rules about using plastic bags.

A truck just came by and collected my recycling. I didn’t see who was collecting last night but I have seen younger sanitation workers previously leaving items at the curb. The older workers seem to make fewer mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: