Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 08:33 AM

1,055 posts, read 546,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
The city decided to recycle and how to do it, I didn’t make rules about using plastic bags.

A truck just came by and collected my recycling. I didn’t see who was collecting last night but I have seen younger sanitation workers previously leaving items at the curb. The older workers seem to make fewer mistakes.
Is it possible your bag was blown out of place and wasn't in that spot when they came? A driver may have found it under his car or a passerby may have spotted it and put it back.

Obviously the bags are necessary in the city; minimizing them can't hurt.

I could swear it used to be every other week for recycling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2023, 10:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Agreed!

WHo needs shoulder height piles of garbage on the sidewalks at Rush Hour?

Old 01-29-2023, 02:52 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,080,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
Is it possible your bag was blown out of place and wasn't in that spot when they came? A driver may have found it under his car or a passerby may have spotted it and put it back.

Obviously the bags are necessary in the city; minimizing them can't hurt.

I could swear it used to be every other week for recycling.
No it wasn’t blown out of place. In fact I put the heavy newspaper recycling against the plastic/glass to prevent it from blowing away. I subsequently found out from a 311 operator that technically you are not supposed to use blue recycling plastic bags even if they are see through. If you use bags they are supposed to be completely clear but I have used blue bags interchangeably with clear bags for years and never had a problem. Last week the newspapers were in a blue bag as well and they were collected. I see many of my neighbors using blue recycling bags and they were collected. If the workers left the plastic and glass because it was in a blue bag they were just being obnoxious. (I would use another word but don’t know if it is allowed.)

Old 03-29-2023, 07:19 AM

Reminder: the new rules go in effect this Saturday, April 1.

Http://nyc.gov/setouttimes

Old 03-30-2023, 07:56 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Stupid change that will cause no end of upheavals (and extra costs to some property owners) yet make not one GD bit of difference far as rodents are concerned.

In most large multi-family day shift porters or whoever is responsible for maintenance puts out trash. They usually work 7-3 or 8-4 shift, either way they're gone before 6PM.

Putting trash out between 4am to 7am won't work because many buildings don't have staff besides one doorman/lobby attendant overnight. He cannot leave lobby unattended to go fetch and throw out trash.

If building is union simply changing 8-4 shift to 7-3 may not be easy nor even possible. That's if guy who works say 8-4 can or is even willing to work 7-3.

Old 04-01-2023, 10:46 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,149,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Stupid change that will cause no end of upheavals (and extra costs to some property owners) yet make not one GD bit of difference far as rodents are concerned.

In most large multi-family day shift porters or whoever is responsible for maintenance puts out trash. They usually work 7-3 or 8-4 shift, either way they're gone before 6PM.

Putting trash out between 4am to 7am won't work because many buildings don't have staff besides one doorman/lobby attendant overnight. He cannot leave lobby unattended to go fetch and throw out trash.

If building is union simply changing 8-4 shift to 7-3 may not be easy nor even possible. That's if guy who works say 8-4 can or is even willing to work 7-3.

I own a 1-family home and received that DSNY notice in the mail. The DSNY did a bulk mailing to all NYC property owners. I have to comply with the 8pm set-out time because according to the DSNY website 1-family homes are included. But the notice mailed to homeowners should have been more specific when it comes to what rule 1 and 2 family homes homes have to follow because it uses the term 'residential buildings' which can be interpreted as apartment buildings only.

For large apartment buildings it looks like they are stuck with having to pay overtime to their staff in order to comply with the new set-out times.

Quote:
DSNY website notice - https://www.nyc.gov/assets/dsny/site...n-setout-times

Residents

Residential buildings of any size (single-family and multi-unit) have two options:
  • Place waste out after 6:00 PM in a container of 55 gallons or less with a secure lid, or
  • Place waste out after 8:00 PM, if putting bags directly on the curb
To ensure collection, all waste must be set out by midnight.

NOTE: There will be a one-month grace period–businesses and residents will receive written warnings until May 1, 2023

Last edited by dfc99; 04-01-2023 at 10:56 AM..

Old 04-01-2023, 12:14 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
I support this change.

Old 04-01-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
I own a 1-family home and received that DSNY notice in the mail. The DSNY did a bulk mailing to all NYC property owners.
I never got a notice from DSNY although obviously I am aware of the changes because I started this thread. If notices didn’t go out to every neighborhood there are probably a lot of people unaware of the changes. Some people on my block don’t follow the current rules. One person put a sofa out on Friday that won’t be picked up until Monday.

Old 04-01-2023, 03:12 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,149,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I never got a notice from DSNY although obviously I am aware of the changes because I started this thread. If notices didn’t go out to every neighborhood there are probably a lot of people unaware of the changes. Some people on my block don’t follow the current rules. One person put a sofa out on Friday that won’t be picked up until Monday.

I think I received my notice about 2 weeks ago. It was a large 8.5" x 11" item addressed to 'Resident' at my address. This isn't going to work out especially in the winter months when it gets dark early. Many elderly New Yorkers put only bags out so they don't have to drag garbage pails back in, and are getting ready for bed by 8pm. The City Council needs to address this. The DSNY needs to go back to the earlier setout deadlines in neighborhoods of private homes, or make 6pm the new setout time for both pails and garbage bags.

Old 04-01-2023, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
I think I received my notice about 2 weeks ago. It was a large 8.5" x 11" item addressed to 'Resident' at my address. This isn't going to work out especially in the winter months when it gets dark early. Many elderly New Yorkers put only bags out so they don't have to drag garbage pails back in, and are getting ready for bed by 8pm. The City Council needs to address this. The DSNY needs to go back to the earlier setout deadlines in neighborhoods of private homes, or make 6pm the new setout time for both pails and garbage bags.
Yeah 8pm is getting ready for bed time for a lot of people. I don’t see why they have stricter rules for bags. I rarely see a bag opened by an an animal and bags are more secure because garbage pails often blow over resulting in trash and recycling blowing down the street. That is especially true for recycling and I often have to pick up and dispose of other people’s plastic containers, paper and boxes that blow onto my sidewalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: