Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2023, 03:35 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Yeah 8pm is getting ready for bed time for a lot of people. I don’t see why they have stricter rules for bags. I rarely see a bag opened by an an animal and bags are more secure because garbage pails often blow over resulting in trash and recycling blowing down the street. That is especially true for recycling and I often have to pick up and dispose of other people’s plastic containers, paper and boxes that blow onto my sidewalk.

I've been putting out bags for over 30 years and maybe three times have found the bags gnawed at by cats or squirrels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2023, 04:08 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
I've been putting out bags for over 30 years and maybe three times have found the bags gnawed at by cats or squirrels.
I've seen rats running in and out of bags on the curb too many times to count. This has been in Brooklyn and Manhattan, but I'm sure it's prevalent elsewhere, too.

Old 04-01-2023, 04:13 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I've seen rats running in and out of bags on the curb too many times to count. This has been in Brooklyn and Manhattan, but I'm sure it's prevalent elsewhere, too.
Never saw rats in my life unless in Manhattan. On SI we had opossums and maybe muskrats, but not a Norway rat to be seen. Am not saying they weren't out there but far as where I grew up and anyone I knew... Now of course there are rats all over SI it seems.

As for trash only issues we had (again for SI) were dogs, cats and yes the occasional opossum maybe racoon.

Back in day nearly everyone used metal cans or maybe heavy plastic when they came out. People on various blocks my family and friends live on use wheelie bins now.

Old 04-03-2023, 07:44 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,927,870 times
You really think that this this change is because of rats? NOPE its because they Tisch is trying to "hide" trash to make it seem as its less. Its so people won't see trash when commuting. Thats what I believe.. Put it out later so when you get home, you wont see how filthy the streets get.

For me, I have never in my home owning life put out my trash at 4pm, Im not even home by then! We usually take it out before bed and thats around 10pm. My GMEN are usually here between and 1 -2 AM which only leaves a short window for canners or cats. Thank goodness no rats in my area. So I this change is no change for me..

Old 04-03-2023, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
You really think that this this change is because of rats? NOPE its because they Tisch is trying to "hide" trash to make it seem as its less. Its so people won't see trash when commuting. Thats what I believe.. Put it out later so when you get home, you wont see how filthy the streets get.

For me, I have never in my home owning life put out my trash at 4pm, Im not even home by then! We usually take it out before bed and thats around 10pm. My GMEN are usually here between and 1 -2 AM which only leaves a short window for canners or cats. Thank goodness no rats in my area. So I this change is no change for me..
Oh I don't know...

Had windows open last night and heard DSNY out collecting trash early Monday AM, this was about 1AM or so.

During the pandemic DSNY rolled late/overnight and yes it made a world of difference far as vermin were concerned. Used to joke with the guys that city should keep it up after pandemic is over. They agreed.

Left for work this morning there was noticeably less remains from stuff rats had nibbled out of bags.

Only fly in ointment can see is new rules give buildings choice to put out trash between 4AM and 7AM. If DSNY is going to swing by overnight some buildings might not have put their trash out.

Walking around Sunday late after noon/early evening it seemed every building large or small put their trash out same time as they always have done.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:35 PM

2,437 posts, read 1,212,637 times
The city council is so dumb, they think rats can tell time.

Stop electing these morons. It's obvious they have nothing better to do.

As stated people in co-ops will have to pay staff overtime to stick around till 8. Yay another tax on the middle class.

Wait till you read up on Local Law 97. Another doozy dreamed up by the brain dead council.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:44 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
The city council is so dumb, they think rats can tell time.

Stop electing these morons. It's obvious they have nothing better to do.

As stated people in co-ops will have to pay staff overtime to stick around till 8. Yay another tax on the middle class.

Wait till you read up on Local Law 97. Another doozy dreamed up by the brain dead council.
Actually, they can:

"Rats are well-known for being nocturnal creatures, meaning they tend to be most active and awake at night. Typically, they will wake up from their slumber once the sun starts to go down, eager to begin exploring their surroundings and hunting for food. At this time of day, rats are most playful and energetic, zipping around and engaging in activities like chasing each other, climbing on objects, and exploring new environments."

Are Rats Nocturnal Or Diurnal? Their Sleep Behavior Explained

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-06-2023, 01:04 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Who cares what the reason is. It's nice to be able to walk down a sidewalk without hopping over trash. Less hours its on the sidewalk makes me happier.

Old 04-07-2023, 06:13 PM

Told you so!

https://nypost.com/2023/04/07/nycs-n...es-for-supers/

Old 04-08-2023, 04:53 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Please a lot of those smaller building super hire random people to clean the floors and take the garbage out.

My building changed the porters schedule on trash days.

It's not that difficult and it's much nice having trash off the street. Many building had it on the curb by 1pm so its not just a few hot difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: